Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire help

Hello all.
    I need some help with tires. I dont know what kind to get for my car that will be best. I have Falken Zeix 512 series on my 16 inch Motegis now in the size of 205/45 R16s. They are worn down and I need new ones. I want better tires that will last longer ( I drive A LOT) and will do me some good in the rainy FL weather. Any help is apprciated.
    Sagaris

I have a set of Dunlop SP Sport's, they have lasted lasted a really long time. I would say I've had them over a year and they only recently needed replacement. As for the mileage I put on them, I don't have the foggiest idea. Didn't keep track of it. That is my suggestion. Im curious to see other peoples experiences with other brands though.
    2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

Yokohama Avid H4's are about the only tire thats going to offer more treadlife than the 512s in that size. how many miles did you get out of the 512s? I wonder if you have an alignment issue.
      "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
      -93 MR2, 129 ES
      ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
      Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Well I have a little bit of wear on the inside of the passanger side tire, but other than that its about even. lets see got the rims in feb...If I could only remember the damn mileage then. Ill look it up when I get to work tomorrow. they have my milage in the computer from when I had an alignment and a mount
        Sagaris

Comment

FWIW, I get ~20,000 miles out of a set of Kumho 711s for the front, and that's running over 2.5 degrees of negative camber, and some toe.

About 15,000 miles for a set of rears, ~1.5 degrees of negative camber, a little bit of toe back there too.

Car is 2500 lbs there abouts....so about the same as 1.6L 3rd gen or DOHC 1st gen loaded out pretty well.
          -93 MR2, 129 ES

Originally posted by WTF

Comment

Re: Tire help

I have Yokohama AVS ES 100 205/45-16's on my car. They handle really well in both dry and wet weather. In fact, they are one of the best wet-handling tires I've ever had. I can't vouch for their longevity because I haven't had them on my car that long but at this point I would buy them again.

I don't use them in the winter because of the snow up here but they will be going on again in april. That's not a problem for you of course living in Florida.
            02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
            MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
            MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
            Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
            MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
            Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
            Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
            Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
            Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
            Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
            Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
            Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
            Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

ES100s are a performance tire, they will not last as long as the 512s
              -93 MR2, 129 ES

Originally posted by WTF

Comment

well Jess what kind of tire do you recommend I get performance? or what. there isnt much performance to the Mazda.
                Sagaris

Comment

I already suggested the Avid H4 in my first post in this thread...did you miss that?
                  -93 MR2, 129 ES

Originally posted by WTF

Comment

I have Dunlop SP Sport A2's on my protege, and they are surprisingly grippy, both wet and dry. They don't make any funny noises, and they have a 50k mile warranty too.

If you are looking to spend a bit more money, my friend has Pilot Sport A/S's, and those are simply amazing, but they cost three times as much.
                    Personal 1/4 mile: 57 sec @ 14 mph
                    Haven't tried with the pro yet...

Comment

not kumho...

Comment

since one of your concerns is rain performance / durability, just make sure to see the life rating on the tire. Just remember that in general . . . the longer the life of the tire, the less it performs due to its harder compound. You can find some 50k mile H rated tires for decent prices too i'm sure.
                        Tag Team

Comment

Jessie what I meant what kind i.e. performance, touring, what?
                          Sagaris

Comment

well Ive done some reasearch and I am down to
                            Cooper Zeon 2xs
                            Yokohama Avid V4/H4
                            Kumho Ecsta Supra 712
                            Sagaris

Comment

not kumho's... they just look bulky and make the rims look smaller than they are

Comment

Working...
                              X