X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2.0L cams, cam gear changes and results

Anyone installed MazdaSpeed or other cams/adjustable cam gears in
    the ES?

What were HP, torque gains through midrange from 2500-4800?
    Idle issues? Zero-60 gains in seconds? Downside? General observations
    earnestly solicited.
    The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic $$$

does anybody make adjustable cam gears?
    magnaflow muffler, altezza tail lights, Tein coilovers, K&N airfilter, sparcko wires, arospeed strut tower bar...more to come. I need to learn to spell

Comment

Ya..Tripoint Engineering makes them. Go on Corksport. I think they have them for sale.

Sorry to answer the original post. I installed both cams. I noticed a bit of a gain above 3000rpm all the way to 5500rpm in all gears. Most notable is in 2nd and 3rd gear. The engine seems to put out power more consistently and smoother in the whole rpm range. No power spikes or surges. I can actually accelerate in 5th gear LOL. Going from 120km/h all the way to 160km/h is noticeably quicker. Engine is more rev happy and the car is more fun to drive above 3500rpm. Haven't dyno'd the car yet since I'm gonna wait till I get my cam gears and header to do the dyno tuning.
      Last edited by funky buddha; 01-11-2004, 06:39 AM.
      So Far: Silvania Silverstar H7 bulbs, Mazdaspeed axle-back, AEM intake, Autoexe replica grill, 6%/17%/35% Tint, B&M short shifter, H&R springs, Alpine CDA9807, Laser-blue calipers, Autometer A/F and Voltmeter gauges, dual pillar pod, Jpec Intake cam, Mazdaspeed Exhaust cam

Comment

Originally posted by mazdaholic
        does anybody make adjustable cam gears?
        Add S-R Motorsorts to the adjustable cam source list.
        Pricey at $349/pr.

Comment

Buddha, what headers are looking at? HP Racing makes two types,
          one single piece 4-2-1 and a flanged 4-2-1 for easier installation.
          Both have O2 bungs so the dreaded CEL shouldn't come on.
          Last edited by Gino; 01-12-2004, 01:54 PM. Reason: don't need original intro

Comment

Originally posted by funky buddha
            I installed both cams. I noticed a bit of a gain above 3000rpm all the way to 5500rpm in all gears. Most notable is in 2nd and 3rd gear. The engine seems to put out power more consistently and smoother in the whole rpm range. No power spikes or surges. I can actually accelerate in 5th gear LOL.
            Stupid me. I should have checked before I asked where to get them.I have two questions:
            1) What do you have the cam gears adjusted to?
            2) Did you cut away end of the valve cover to expose the cam gears?
            magnaflow muffler, altezza tail lights, Tein coilovers, K&N airfilter, sparcko wires, arospeed strut tower bar...more to come. I need to learn to spell

Comment

Working...
            X