Ms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ms

I recently installed my ms and turned the key and Waalaa! It started and ran. While checking for leaks and lowering the car down it died. It didnt stall, no bogging, it just died, like I turned the key to off. The car cranks and timing belt turns. Pulled the spark plugs and no spark so I pulled the coil wire, no spark there. Coil bad? I dont think so, any way to test it? Is that it? WHo knows, starting with what I find. Thought it could be the dissy but then there would be spark from the coil wire correct? Thanks

Hey Randall, glad it started on the first try.

We've talked over e-mail about this, but re-iterate - make sure you see 200-300RPM in megatune while cranking. That will mean your disty-MS connection is sound.

If this the case and no spark, then it's the coil. If you see 0 RPM and all other gauges are ok, then it's the disty-MS connection (make sure no wires, connectors are loose, broken) or the disty itself.

Comment

check the fuel pump if it is supplying enough fuel.. check if it is plug in the MS..

Comment

I see 200 and then after a few seconds of cranking it drops to 100??? I replaced the coil and still nothing happening.

Comment

Is it 100 exactly?

Can you get a datalog of you cranking and send it to my e-mail?

Comment

Wow, thats all I can say. My head hurts from reading all this. I understand about .01 % of it!!

Comment

So, I changed the distributor cap and rotor and coil. Stiill no workie workie. I checked the coil and am getting 12v, checked the harness at the dissy and I am getting over 12v there. How can you tell the dissy is bad? A remaned on is $180. Wtf, 16yo car and still that much for a dissy.....

Comment

ur prolly gonna have to get the optical distributor from the JY, those are supposed to be better. Turpro has details on that in one of his threads!

Comment

Don't replace the disty if you are reading an RPM in MS as we discussed. It is not the problem and it would be a waste of money. The issue is on the output side.

Comment

Ok, update. Received the MS back and installed it. Turned the key and wouldnt start. Pulled the #1 plug to check for spark and low and behold it starts??? Put it back on and attempted to get it to idle better but I didnt get a chance and it quit on me again. Could this be a ground? It seems very intermittent and I have replaced everything else I can think of. Disy is good, cap, rotor, coil, ignition module all replaced. Anything else? Still sounds like its not firing but I am going to have my mech come over and check the timing for me, he owes me a little bit of his time. I attempted to set or make sure it is set myself.....

#1 piston- closest to the timing belt, top dead center and them aimed the rotor at the #1 spark plug wire? Set the distributor in the middle like the MS recommended.

Please let me know if you think there is anything else I should do!! Thanks!!
                    No the timing belt has not been adjusted and the car ran fine before the ms and new setup. I beleive it not to be timing BELT related, either timing related or a grounding issue.

Comment

The MS uses the stock grounds in the car. So yes, those will have to solid. It sounds like this can be a possibility - especially since it's so intermittent. Here are the grounding points in the engine bay from the FSM.
                      Attached Files

Comment

If you have concern about a bad ground, just run a 10 gauge wire directly from the - battery to the MS ground. That's what I did

Comment

Originally posted by mx-3_4evr View Post
                          If you have concern about a bad ground, just run a 10 gauge wire directly from the - battery to the MS ground. That's what I did
                          What wire would that be good sir?

Comment

Originally posted by mx-3_4evr View Post
                            He has a PNP MS which means the MS uses the 4 stock ground wires that go from the ECU to the chassis in the engine bay.

Comment

Oh that's a fail. I would check all grounds

Comment

Working...
                              X