System Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System Opinions

Okay everyone, im running 2-Rockford Fosgate He2 12's, in a sealed box, that's custom made to RF's spec's. I have an Alpine deck, and Alpine components. My big question is wether i wanna go with a Kicker 500.2, or a Rockford 851S. Both are the same price, 300 bucks. But Kicker seems to put out more efficent and clean sounding power, but Rockford has more "wattage", putting out 200x2 RMS @ 4 ohms. What's your opinion?
    Rockford Power 851S
    50.00%
    Kicker 500.2
    50.00%

i'm gonna have to say neither
    for $300 you can get more power, and a better amp, imho. the RF products have been on a bit of a decline since the early 90's, and they are starting to make a reform, and with the '04 lineup, it looks promising. kicker on the other hand made a hard drop over the past 5-8 years, and i wouldn't have touched them, till their new SX amps came out. their older KX's have some quality control problems. i know, cause my friend works at a shop that sells them. he's personally gone through 4 in his trunk
    the HE2's will handle 400 watts rms each. in a sealed box i'd give them 1000 watts total. and as a bare minimum 300 watts each. i'm assuming the subs are dual 4 ohms each, cause the RF amp puts out 850 watts into a 4 ohm mono load.
    you could get the jbl bp1200.1, which will have 1200 watts on tap. it's not wattage that kills the subs, it's distortions and a clipped signal that will. so if you have a good clean signal going to the amp, you can give each of those subs 600 watts without a problem.
    www.justamps.com has the jbl for $300 brand new, or $230 refurb.
    i would also highly suggest a hifonics brutus bx 1000D amp. it'll give you 1000 watts into a 1 ohm load, and i've seen plenty of these in comps, as well as heard of plenty of satisfied owners of them.
    Shop Lowest Price on: Hifonics BX 1000D Mono Subwoofer Amplifiers. 1000 watts x 1 Mono Amplifier

Comment

well I used to work for a shop too and I can tell you now that every manufactured component has their issues (depends on what the guy/gal does with it when they leave) I have seen Soundstream amps come back melted and one guy had 2 Memphis Belles and both were cooked when he brought the car back in saying we screwed up the install to find out he had gone to a show and 'attempted' to win by any means possible. I have had really good luck with Kicker over the past few years so I will back them. Haven't had to deal with theri service dept so can't say anything on that note but I have had to deal wit RF over the years and they do great return work but it'll cost you. As LEDz states RF's have gone downhill since I was in it back in the mid-late 80's.

So if you are stuck on these 2 then go with Kicker.
      And if you are using solely as a sub amp then you wont be unhappy with the purchase of the HiFonics LEDz speaks of. They hammer and can handle the abuse for hours.
      Last edited by DeanSweetP5; 01-11-2004, 12:08 PM.
      'I did nothing... I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be!?'
      -Dean
      2003.5 Vivid Yellow Protege5

Mods:
      18" G-Racing Kirins - hyper black
      Eibach Pro-Line lowering springs
      MazdaSpeed Axelback Exhaust
      Injen CAI - Polished
      Tinted windows. Llumar 35front 2&hatch glass/25middle roll down glass/18backside4
      DaveB trim rings
      Painted Calipers - G2

Stereo:
      Alpine CVA-1005 - 6.5" LCD Reciever.
      Alpine DVA-5210 - DVD/WMA/CD/MP3 Player
      Alpine ERA-G320 - EQ/Surround processor.
      Kicker IX-405D 5 Channel Amp
      Kicker 12" L5's in bandpass enclosure (2 of them)
      Kicker K-57.2 Components up front
      Kicker K-65 in back.

Future Mods?

Turbo?

Comment

Working...
      X