Turning a POS into my beloved 96 LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turning a POS into my beloved 96 LX

So here is what I have done to turn a piece of junk sitting at the back of a friend's used dealership into a car that I look forward to driving every opportunity I get. I will put up pics at the end of the week after I make some final additions...

So here is the car I started with...

-1996 Mazda Protege LX(Purchased for $1200)
    -125K Miles
    -89 hp
    -Manual with a disturbing amount of play in the stick
    -Crack in the windshield
    -Cracked Oil Pan
    -Exhaust Leak right under the front seats
    -Cruise Control(Broken)
    -Power Locks(Broken)
    -Power Windows
    -Awesome Bucket seats(Not being sarcastic, i love them)
    -JVC Head Unit(Broken CD player, half the speakers didn't work)
    -****ted up 13 inch steelies with almost no life left on the tires
    -****ty wipers that did more harm than help

As i'm sure you can tell, this thing was beat to hell, low miles but obviously not treated too great...here is what my father, my friend, and myself have done to it so far.

-110hp(estimated, haven't tested)
    -Fixed up some of the play by tightening a large screw down in the boot, replaced the knob with a stock 1998 VW Passat knob, the old Mazda knob weighed more than a pool ball, the VW knob shortened the lever a solid 2 inches making for a much better throw. They even have the same diagram.
    -Windshield crack stabilized above wiper path, still passes inspection
    -Oil Pan replaced with a used ebay one, $70 shipped
    -Exhaust leak patched up with basic patch kit, she still growls some more than a 4 banger should
    -Cruise Control fixed, had to redo the wiring to the buttons
    -Power locks fixed and synced up to an aftermarket keyless entry
    -Power Windows still work...awesome
    -Bucket seats...still awesome
    -Pioneer head unit, after ripping out the goddamn JVC and replacing it with my Pioneer, all the speakers kicked back to life, so either the JVC wasn't wired right or it was just blown
    -Replaced the 13inch steelies with 14inch VW steelies equipped with fresh snow tires, 14" Alloys with new all-seasons expected to be delivered by the end of the week
    -Bosch Icon Wiper Blades
    -Bosch Platinum +2 spark plugs
    -Hella xenon headlights
    -Cold Air Intake, this literally cost me $30 and 5 mins, the way the engine is set up, all the sensors and hoses are hooked up to a rigid plastic pipe leading to the air box, including the maf, all I had to do was take out the air box and strap on the filter cone, I didn't even need a breather. The result was waaaaaaaaaay more pull in the lower gears and a little more pep in the higher ones
    -Spent a few hours with a shopvac, armorall, and windex and gave the interior a DIYdetailing
    -Car wash

All in all it was a lot of silly garage DIY crap but in the end I walked away with a car I really love now. Anyone have any suggestions for what to do next? I almost want to repaint the the thing to help with the little bit of rust on it and the overall appearance but I feel it would cost more than the thing is worth. I've also been considering a lip spoiler or a low sitting pedestal spoiler but from what i've been told i'd need a whole new trunk lid.

hey man thats wussup kind of what I had to do to my LX
    what screw did you adjust in the shifter? any pics?
    1996 Protege LX
    Mods:
    K&N Drop in
    Python 440HP
    6000K HIDs

Comment

To be honest, I am not really sure as my father did it while I was putting in the sparks and adding the intake but we are gonna tear it apart this summer to try and make it more solid and add a leather boot, i'll try and take some photos then.

Comment

any pics

sigpicWorlds first car with GPS was a Mazda

~~~~~~~~> Thanks again to member gooseinyou for the familia garnish <~~~~~~~~

Comment

Workin on that, I didn't wanna put any up until I gave her her new shoes, the alloys are on now but the weather has been ****ty everyday since, as soon as I get a sunny day I will snap a few

Comment

Looking forward to seeing some photos too, I have a 96 323, bodywork sucks but engine is fairly sound, Just joined here yesterday and i am very interested in seeing how everyone else fixes up theirs.

Comment

Originally posted by 96MazdaLX View Post
              So here is what I have done to turn a piece of junk sitting at the back of a friend's used dealership into a car that I look forward to driving every opportunity I get. I will put up pics at the end of the week after I make some final additions...

So here is the car I started with...

-1996 Mazda Protege LX(Purchased for $1200)
              -125K Miles
              -89 hp
              -Manual with a disturbing amount of play in the stick
              -Crack in the windshield
              -Cracked Oil Pan
              -Exhaust Leak right under the front seats
              -Cruise Control(Broken)
              -Power Locks(Broken)
              -Power Windows
              -Awesome Bucket seats(Not being sarcastic, i love them)
              -JVC Head Unit(Broken CD player, half the speakers didn't work)
              -****ted up 13 inch steelies with almost no life left on the tires
              -****ty wipers that did more harm than help

As i'm sure you can tell, this thing was beat to hell, low miles but obviously not treated too great...here is what my father, my friend, and myself have done to it so far.

-110hp(estimated, haven't tested)
              -Fixed up some of the play by tightening a large screw down in the boot, replaced the knob with a stock 1998 VW Passat knob, the old Mazda knob weighed more than a pool ball, the VW knob shortened the lever a solid 2 inches making for a much better throw. They even have the same diagram.
              -Windshield crack stabilized above wiper path, still passes inspection
              -Oil Pan replaced with a used ebay one, $70 shipped
              -Exhaust leak patched up with basic patch kit, she still growls some more than a 4 banger should
              -Cruise Control fixed, had to redo the wiring to the buttons
              -Power locks fixed and synced up to an aftermarket keyless entry
              -Power Windows still work...awesome
              -Bucket seats...still awesome
              -Pioneer head unit, after ripping out the goddamn JVC and replacing it with my Pioneer, all the speakers kicked back to life, so either the JVC wasn't wired right or it was just blown
              -Replaced the 13inch steelies with 14inch VW steelies equipped with fresh snow tires, 14" Alloys with new all-seasons expected to be delivered by the end of the week
              -Bosch Icon Wiper Blades
              -Bosch Platinum +2 spark plugs
              -Hella xenon headlights
              -Cold Air Intake, this literally cost me $30 and 5 mins, the way the engine is set up, all the sensors and hoses are hooked up to a rigid plastic pipe leading to the air box, including the maf, all I had to do was take out the air box and strap on the filter cone, I didn't even need a breather. The result was waaaaaaaaaay more pull in the lower gears and a little more pep in the higher ones
              -Spent a few hours with a shopvac, armorall, and windex and gave the interior a DIYdetailing
              -Car wash

All in all it was a lot of silly garage DIY crap but in the end I walked away with a car I really love now. Anyone have any suggestions for what to do next? I almost want to repaint the the thing to help with the little bit of rust on it and the overall appearance but I feel it would cost more than the thing is worth. I've also been considering a lip spoiler or a low sitting pedestal spoiler but from what i've been told i'd need a whole new trunk lid.

Where did u get Hella xenon headlights and Cold Air Intake I want them for my 1996 mazda protege. auto 90k miles.
              NO longer owns a 96 protege!!!

Comment

Working...
              X