Adjustable fuel pressure regulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adjustable fuel pressure regulator

Ok here's the deal, I'm buying 1. Whoa whoa relax. Lol. I know some of you are saying "that's a band aid" or "didn't you just tell stylinwagon(sp) that he shouldn't be running 1?". Well yes I did say that and do believe he bought that to use as a band aid.
    Here's the reasoning in me buying 1.

1: I want a fuel gauge to keep an eye on the pressure
    2: When I run the bigger turbo and bigger injectors I can adjust it slightly so I do run rich. I say this because I feel I will.

It will be set at the n/a psi for this current setup then when the new setup goes in I will probably bring it down to gtx fpr psi status. That should do the trick.

Voice out good or bad about this. Keep in mind my reasoning.
    Last edited by Turpro; 04-21-2009, 05:31 AM.
    1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
    1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
    2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
    2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
    .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

i was always curious about these. specially after a friend got one installed on his mx3 and could shoot flames after... (just for fun.. didn't leave it)...

say on a n/a stock bp.. what would the positive effects of an fpr result in? increase in a few HP... by upping the pressure by what psi?
    1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
    Featured in Rally Gearbox Magazine 3/1/11
    "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

Comment

hmm ya thats what i was looking to do see what pressure i was at with the gauge nd just run stock gtx pressure but its off now i didnt even run it more than 5 miles .and it ran the same (great) at 40 psi.

Comment

Originally posted by Turpro View Post
        Ok here's the deal, I'm buying 1. Whoa whoa relax. Lol. I know some of you are saying "that's a band aid" or "didn't you just tell stylinwagon(sp) that he shouldn't be running 1?". Well yes I did say that and do believe he bought that to use as a band aid.
        Here's the reasoning in me buying 1.

1: I want a fuel gauge to keep an eye on the pressure
        2: When I run the bigger turbo and bigger injectors I can adjust it slightly so I do run rich. I say this because I feel I will.

It will be set at the n/a psi for this current setup then when the new setup goes in I will probably bring it down to gtx fpr psi status. That should do the trick.

Voice out good or bad about this. Keep in mind my reasoning.
        what reg. are you going to run?
        5 boosted bp cars,why...

Comment

It's either using an AFPR or changing the injectors accordingly; unless it's a RR AFPR which is whole different story.

There is really no point in running an AFPR, just get a proper size injector set and be done with it. If you want a guage, you can just mount one in series and put it the cabin but the pressure shouldn't change anyways. I think it's 43 psi for the protege and 38 for the GTX.

Comment

@ryan1- if you go on ebay and hit "miata adjustable fuel pressure regulator" it will be the only 1 that pops up. Its made by vision motorsports.

@323driver- yea I was doing some brain storming and figured my 460s might be perfect and will be able to tune it right without using an afpr. Here's my logic:

Gtr=210bhp with 440cc injectors
            My tbird hybrid= somewhere around 200-225bhp. I'll be running 460cc injectors so it will be close when compareing to the gtr bhp/cc. Sounds about right right?
            2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
            .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Don't forget to account for different PSI, the GTR runs at 10 Psi, the T-bird will have to run at 15 psi. Also, the GTR uses a GTR ecu and a GTR vaf. I don't know what will happen with the ECU and VAF you are running. It would be that simple if you had a standalone but with stock ecu's it's trial and error. You'll have to install it all and log your wideband readings. Spark might be an issue as well depending on the ECU you run so be carefull.

Comment

Yea I thought about getting a gtx fpr to lower it down some. Might be a good idea to do so before I put this all together. And yes I will have the tbird set at 15psi but I don't always(nor does everyone else) always burn the tires off everytime they drive. I just want a safe non pig rich setting.

A friend of a friend(that I've met and seen the car first hand) runs dsm 440s with his vj11/vj14 hybrid on a b6t and he's running just fine. That's also another thing that came to mind. He is running a cs ecu though.
                2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay

Comment

On a stock GTX motor (low 8.2 compression), you can run BP05 ecu, 450cc dsm injectors and a BP Vaf and it works all out well at 12 psi. Richer mixture and very low compression compensates for advanced NA spark. However, this is not necesserally perfect since the AFRs at cruise, idle and most other areas are out of the roof. Anyways, I can't tell you what will work out or not, I switched to MS a while ago to avoid all that crap and not worry about mixing and matching. When you have some free cash, I would recommend you to do the same. Meanwhile, get bigger injectors, a piggy back and tune it accordingly, the fpr should be the least of your concerns.

Comment

im running a syncronic fpr, and it is a good tool combined with the standalone for big injectors most ecu's can only run a minimum amount of MS for injector opening time, so low rpm and idle may run rich, with the adjustable fpr I can lower the pressure to get the right mixture at idle, but with the synchronic I can also up the pressure back to stock for boost....or higher if desired...just one of the advantages of using an adjustable afr...

Comment

That's a RR AFPR (rising rate). Normal AFPRs don't do that, they just let you adjust the base pressure which is then kept constant.

Comment

Working...
                      X