Remote Start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remote Start?

I've been looking at alarms for my P5 and would really like to get something with remote start. I have a 5 spd. and have heard that it is somewhat harder to find an alarm that will remote start an auto tranny. I was wondering if any of you had a 5 spd. with remote start and the system that you used, price, install, etc. Thanks.
    -Dweezle

i can tell you that a lot of installers won't do remote starts on manual trannies. they're kind of a pain, cause it has to have a neutral sensor, and your car always has to be in neutral to start. most everyone i know with a standard leaves there car in gear when parked. the actual alarm unit is also different for standard transmission. at least i know mine has 2 different models, one for each type of tranny.

Comment

I jsut got mine installed.
      I have an AutoStart 2 way alarm/car starter combo with keyless entry , trunk and all that stuff. ran me 396 (CDN deal!) plus tax.
      I love having a car starter, it eases things so much.
      Visit My Garage

Comment

i love mine too. Press one button and the car starts for you. Its cool to freak people out with it too.
        My OLD Car

Comment

Originally posted by blue LEDz
          i can tell you that a lot of installers won't do remote starts on manual trannies. they're kind of a pain, cause it has to have a neutral sensor, and your car always has to be in neutral to start. most everyone i know with a standard leaves there car in gear when parked. the actual alarm unit is also different for standard transmission. at least i know mine has 2 different models, one for each type of tranny.
          Hey Blue what model do you have. Atleast for me it isn't a problem because I always leave my car in neutral. Plus one other question, does not having power doors make the install difficult?

Comment

Originally posted by Proto2k
            Hey Blue what model do you have. Atleast for me it isn't a problem because I always leave my car in neutral. Plus one other question, does not having power doors make the install difficult?

ultrastart 4500. i've got the 1st gen of that series. not sure exactly what they changed other than the remote.

as for not having power doors, it will be easier, if you don't want convert over to power door locks.

Comment

How much are those? And I don't think I understand your last post, are you saying it would be easier to install without power locks, or would it be easier to install if I converted to power locks.

Comment

Originally posted by Proto2k
                How much are those? And I don't think I understand your last post, are you saying it would be easier to install without power locks, or would it be easier to install if I converted to power locks.

wholesale was like $190 on it. and it would be easier to not install power locks. if you do, you'll have to install the actuators, as well as run wires into the doors. converting it over is a PITA, and a lot of times the actuators will break or die way shorter than stock ones. as long as you are good about locking your doors, just install the alarm as a shock sensor, proximity sensor (if you get one), and 2 way pager for is someone messes with your car. i will say that the range on it isn't as good as i'd like. i'm going to get a spread spectrum 2-way alarm later, for longer range.

Comment

i did the power doorlock install on teh weekend, whata botch. and teh 99 mazda prot Dx has no wiring harness adapters I could find to make life easy, had to do it all by hand.
                  Visit My Garage

Comment

Originally posted by Iceman112k3
                    I jsut got mine installed.
                    I have an AutoStart 2 way alarm/car starter combo with keyless entry , trunk and all that stuff. ran me 396 (CDN deal!) plus tax.
                    I love having a car starter, it eases things so much.
                    how you like that one? i have one in my AT.. but i'm trading it in for an MT.. will need to install another one and i want it to be 2way FM.
                    saw it in pasmag and they gave the remote for it a good review.

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
                    RB springs
                    Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
                    MP3 front bumper conversion

Comment

Mine sometimes doesnt start on the first time.....
                      My OLD Car

Comment

A car you can start remotely. We now have remote locks, remote door open, remote start.... Now all we need is remote gas, brake, clutch, shifter, and steering. (And they have that too)
                        ~Mar.

Now say it with me... B-R-A-K-E.

Good job!

Comment

Originally posted by Lil Freek
                          how you like that one? i have one in my AT.. but i'm trading it in for an MT.. will need to install another one and i want it to be 2way FM.
                          saw it in pasmag and they gave the remote for it a good review.

Everything in PASMag gets a good review. The whole magazine is one big advertisement...

Comment

Working...
                          X