My weekend...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My weekend...

Well, just finished playing with the car this weekend.... so I guess I'll share a little bit of it!

1st task was the change my water pump. I had put in a what was suppose to be new, but the service guy ordered a reman, water pump back in December after getting back from Finland only to find someone had popped a hole in my radiator and only filled it back up with water, so the water pump gasket and bearing broke. So doing that in a cramped garage down the street at my Brother's house. It was so cramped I couldn't even take the passenger wheel off!! PITA!!

So Saturday at 9, started taking the water pump off. Got it off and was at the parts store by 10:15. Then I spent 20 mins waiting for the dude to find my water pump in the back.... He kept looking, looked on the shelf, had me look it up on the computer... then Finally I tell him that another employee had called me and said it was there. 5 mins later he walks out with it.... So I get back to my house at 11 after stopping at ace too to grab some new bolts since the other water pump wasn't tapped right and messed one up.

I start cleaning gasket surfaces, brake out the RTV, goop it all up, slid it down there, and finger tighten the 4 bolts to hold it to the block, then I go to put the host spout on and guess what??? Neither of the bolt holes had been retapped after they resurfaced and painted the water pump!!! IDIOTS I SWARE!*()@!*)!@^&()#! Well 3 washers on each bolt helped me to get it "finger tight" and I let the rtv harden a lil.

While I was waiting for that, I started on the 2nd thing, taking off the LCA and lubing up my SRD bushing since they were creaking really loudly!! So I got the passenger side done, and then retightened the water pump, threw everything back together, redid the timing and called it good. Then thought, "must be like 1pm, so time for lunch!!" But it was really 2:30!!!

So take an hour, then start in on the nightmare of the weekend, putting a v6 rear end on with the disc brakes, completely bleeding the whole system and replacing with DOT 5 silicone, and putting new SS lines, Slotted rotors, and semi-metallic pads on the whole thing. The fronts went smoothly, but then I dropped the rear end, it went smoothly, then I got to the V6 rear end. The disc screws were STUCK!! and to make things better, one of the bolts that anchor the rear caliper on snapped!! And trying to get it out of the caliper I broke my easy-out!!! By now I was P-I-S-S-E-D!!! PISSED!!!

So I think to myself, it is good I have those extra rear calipers, rotors, and assembly.... So luckily the caliper on that one came off, I was able to get one side rotor off because the screw came loose after I heated it up with the torch, but the other side... I broke 3 philips bits with the impact gun!! Then, I got some PB-blaster, nothing... used the torch again, nothing. So I got out my super good tip off of my Klein screwdriver, and the screws stripped. So I got one of the bigger easy outs and drilled off the heads of the screws. Who needs those anyways??? Right!

So I got the discs on, and as I was tightening everything I pulled something in my lower back... not good! But got it all back together and left the rear end up in the air on the jack stands so Monday night after work I could bleed the system.

Next morning Neuman shows up to pick up a door panel and informs me the rotors are on the wrong side. I had the slots going the wrong way!!! So monday's list got a little longer.

So tonight, had to work late due to it being the first 90 degree day and being an HVAC tech. So 6:30 I start working, stop for a 30 min dinner and keep working. Get all the rotors switched by 7:30, then 8 I start bleeding with my dad. I stuck with good ol DOT 3 lol. Honestly... I didn't care by this point. So I bleed the whole system. Tightened up a couple loose fittings that were leaking and got ready to start everything up at 9:20. Started it up, and immediately I knew something was wrong, the idle was low, and it didn't sound right. I thought it was just me.... But it wasn't, drove it down the street and it boosted up quick but the power was lacking... only one thing does that... cam timing!!! So I check the FSM quickly, then go and reset it. Intake was advanced a tooth... bad bad intake cam! Start at 10, end at 10:20. not too shabby!! Then drive it down to Safeway to get gas and give the brakes a lil break in and they are nice. Pedel is still a lil soft, but I think it is from the cheap zinc coating that is on the rotors.

All in all, I am happy, but the things I didn't get done:

DOT 5 Conversion
    Valve Cover Gasket
    Lube up drivers side LCA
    Lube up rear Trailing arm bushings
    Strip apart rear end to sell all the other stuff off

Tomorrow I get my alignment so should be running good!

Pics come tomorrow.

Mexican: "You wanna race for titles?"
    Mormon: "lol, no, I don't want your car."

lol sounds like you had fun!

Comment

Sounds like a good weekend but be careful with DOT 5. Our system is not built for it. Either go with DOT 4 or DOT 5.1

Comment

I lied, i had a headach last night... will get those pics up today!!

Comment

Sounds like my fun time when i had a no start on my bpt when i first put it in my car. i took the timeing covers off and the belt looked good before i put it in. Then when i cranked it to try and start if for the first time nothing. Took 2 days to figure it out because i thought it was the wireing. It was not getting fuel or spark due to the cams not turning. I was so pissed but happy at the same time when i found the problem.
          sigpic
          1993 Mazda Mx-3 RS Black 300hp 330tq Mustang dyno, vf-10/vj-20 hybrid 26psi, Megasquirt Tuned on e85
          1/8 mile 8.50@89 2.3 60' Parted out and missed!

1993 Mazda Mx-3 RS Blue Bp turboed VJ-20 16psi, Custom vj-20 inlet pipe, Custom 2.5 front mount intercooler, Custom 2.5 downpipe to 3inch outlet side exit exhaust, Rx-7 460cc injectors, Tuned on E-85 with Ems Pro, Corksport front / Rear strut tower brace and H&R lowering springs.
          1\8 mile 8.81@82.66 still at 2.1 60'. Parted out

2004 Volkswagon Jetta Gli 1.8t Eurojet fmic,3inch downpipe to 2.5 cat back,apr stage 2 software, cold air intake and turbo inlet pipe and St coilovers slammed to the ground.
          Sold and missed!

2012 Volkswagon Jetta S 2.0 8v Custom Cold Air intake, Raceland Coilovers, BFI Torque Mount Insert, Audi S4 Wheels, low and slow.
          Daily driver

Comment

well here they are finally!!!

and my work rig!

and what are these on my floorboard?? Is that a bored out vj20 hotside and vf12 turbo????

and who is this? And what kind of car is it???

Comment

WTF happened to that poor bumper? Nice brakes tough

Comment

sounds like you had fun and hmmmmmmm thats cool lookin, a egt with pro front on it
                Check out the Pics
                sigpic
                http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=228
                Mazda's Rule Honda's Drool

Comment

neuman installing a grille and testing the bumper mold?

Comment

Originally posted by 90prtege View Post
                    sounds like you had fun and hmmmmmmm thats cool lookin, a egt with pro front on it

323 front... but same difference!!

Yeah, I talked neuman into putting the bumper and grill on. It just looked so sad without them setting in the garage... The only action it sees is when he pushes it out of the garage to work on something else!

Comment

Working...
                    X