Funky gas/hydrocarbon smell in car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funky gas/hydrocarbon smell in car

I have a 98 lx with 63K on it, and lately when the heater is on, I get a waft of gas. It seems more of an issue if I let the car warm up in the morning and then get in it. ANy ideas on what could be causing this? My exhaust seems fine, so I don't think it is that.

Did you just recently changed oil?
    "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

A couple of weeks ago, but it has been doing this for a little before that. My gas mileage hasn't dropped off or anything, so I don't think it is running rich.

Comment

Okay, then it might be something with HVAC system. Have you tried switching the air stream? Choose the one where the inside air is being circulated, instead of the outside air coming in. And see if you can notice a difference. If you do notice a difference, then maybe you need to replace a filter or something. I am not too familiar with our cars and their HVAC systems. I hope this helps.

Comment

someone may have shat in your cowl!
          According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by fuq_A_vtec
            someone may have shat in your cowl!
            I do not think that this is it. Because it would smell, and smell all the time.

Comment

Maintain a window open when warming the car up. The computer runs the car on the rich side when initial warm up is taking place.

Plus as cars get older it is always a good idea to maintain a window cracked.. To let in fresh air.
              photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

its not mold in your air con/filter system is it? i once had a smell that smelled like i thought refrigerant would smell like if it was leaking, but it wasn't.

i know a few people who've had that problem before. could be rotting leaves and **** in the intake or mold on the filter under your dash. you could disinfect the filter and clear out any crap in the intake tray under your windscreen - i poured disinfectant in there as well and gave it a wee scrubby.

Comment

Exhaust manifold?

Comment

Working...
                  X