Curiosity + Hi all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curiosity + Hi all

Hi all. This is actually my second post but hey, im still new so ill pretend its my first

Basically my question is this: In australia we have the Mazda 323 which is split into two categories: Astina and Protege. Basically the Astina is the Protege 5 from what i can tell and the protege is exactly that.

However, where my curiosity was raised was that your Protege has 3 different flavours in the standard non-MSP versions and they are all 2.0L.

Here we have the 2.0L as well but its called the SP20 which is like a sport variant of the Protege and the Astina. My car is a 1.8L Protege, it has a pack on there with 16" alloys and sports trim interior, but thats all that different to the stock model. My car however comes with 4 wheel disc brakes (front ventillated). It seems your lower model (DX ?? ) comes with rear drums??? I just want to make sure it is still essentially the same car and im on the right forums

Also, i mentioned earlier im planning to do some mods, hopefully starting within the next month. (I havnt put 1000kM's on it yet )

Appreciate if anyone could clear up what im asking (if you can figure that out hehe)

Yo, welcome to the club. I can kinda follow what your saying. What year is your car? Whats the HP rating? Since your an Aussie, It might be more than ours here in the U.S. even though its a 1.8 I'm just curious. Do you have a 4WD option over there?
    Anyways youre in the right forum. When you ask questions just state what you have for an engine and ya should have no prob getting help from someone.
    " Autobots are an error I intend to correct"

Reformated Alternate Mode:
    Midnite Blue P5 ( 5-speed manual)
    Painted calipers
    Injen CAI
    Custom exhaust
    Tein lowering springs(finally installed)

Comment

welcome to club protege you arealmost in the right forum. we have an engine and drivetrain section which I am moving this post to. This section is more for general talk on 3rd gen proteges/323/familia's depending on where you live.

edit: oop's I mis-read. this is general, sorry, I will move it back
      edit again: can't move it back, it's not in my sections. sorry guys, I read 1.8L 2.0L and my brain misfired
      Last edited by GotBoost; 01-14-2004, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the club.
        You sure are welcome here. I hope that everything works out for you and you learn a lot here and we learn a lot from you. Your car is basically similar to the US version aside from maybe different bumpers and taillights.
        Hey I got an idea , post some pics of your car up.
        photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Welcome to the club Vultz. GotBoost, got it moved :D
          -mike lucero
          1988 Mazda 323 GTX
          2001 Isuzu Rodeo

Comment

You're in the right place. The 1.6, 1.8 engines used to be model choices too, but for whatever reason all model lines have the 2.0L now. Yes, DX has drum brakes too.
            2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Ooo replies!

Rippersnapper:
              Mine is a 2003 model. The thing is, we have the power output measured in kilowatts instead of horsepower so it makes it really hard to compare as i dont know a conversion formula. The 1.8L produces 92kW at 6000rpm (the 2.0L produces 98kW) and the torque is 163Nm at 4000rpm.

Actually i got one of the last Protege's in australia because they are selling them off for the introduction of the Mazda 3's. Unfortunately i have no digital camera. But if you wish to see what the aus variants look like then check out this link Mazda Australia Site

We have no 4wd option that im aware of and i dont think Mazdaspeed exists in australia although i could be wrong.

I went with white because i do have a particular plan for asthetic mods which wont involve huge amounts of fibreglass or massive wings hehe. Going for the sleeper look with just a touch of aggression with some wheels.

Thanks for the welcome

Comment

Working...
              X