Frozen Struts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frozen Struts?

OK, my struts have to be blown or something... It's been cold here for a while, it's been under freezing for about 2 weeks. This morning when I drive my protege in to work, I hit a bump and the right rear doesn't give AT all, it makes for a ****ty ride for sure.

I get to work, and press down on the right side of the trunk, and the only flex that I'm getting is from my tire.

So yea, my struts are probably pretty shot... But my question is (may be stupid), is this going to affect my tire wear in some odd way?

I think I'm going to be swapping the zx2 struts and springs from my 323 onto my protege in the spring (getting rid of the 323 in favor of a miata, maybe). So I don't really feel like buying new struts (or tires for that matter).

Thanks for the help gents!
    Dan
    dreesemonkey

thats a good question, poses thought, i wouldnt think so because when your shock is busted you get the patchy bald spots because of the tire bouncing, i think youll mess something else up before your tire wears funny.
    According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

it won't be too bad.. you'll make it through the winter no prob.
      the only extra wear would be if you hit a big bump again (continuously) and perhaps from some extra weight on regular road waviness.

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
      RB springs
      Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
      MP3 front bumper conversion

Comment

yea the slush gets thrown up into the spring and then freezes, just take your snow brush and scoop/push it out of there, be carefull not to tear the boot, if it isnt already torn.

may be pointless cuz the slush will only get back in
        No more protege, Mx-3 now...Only known BP powered Mx-3 in Nova Scotia

Comment

my struts are shot and freeze everytime its not warm out..... i park it in the garage now to help out withthat problem.

(my boots are already torn to shreds soim kinda out of luck in that department.)

lol im scared to drive my car when it sits on bad struts lol its a very unsafe feeling
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

yeah i had the same problem the other day.. really bad clunking when i hiut bumps.. all it was is slush an crap from all this damned snow tho..
            Pewter Silver 92 DX 5 Spd 1.8L SOHC
            -Stainless steel MagnaFlow exhaust with a double walled tip.
            -205/50/15 Bridgestone Potenza RE910 rubber
            -B&M Short Throw Shifter
            -MX-3 GS front seats
            -Front an Rear upper strut braces

(LOOKING FOR A CAI FOR MY SOHC !!!!)
            (GT-X on the way as I type)

Comment

wow, I never had a strut freeze. I had my struts be really cold on a cold day and you can hear them as you go over a speed bump, but nothing ever like that.
              photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Yeah, its actually the **** in the strut that freezes...or so I've been told.
                My ClubProtege.com Feedback Thread

MOSI Race Dynamics
                - Aftermarket Parts Sales & Services MOSI Race Dynamics Feedback Thread

Comment

I think they're blown, and the seals are worn and either condensation is getting in there and freezing, or the oil/gas/whatever itself is freezing. Fun times!
                  Dan
                  dreesemonkey

Comment

Just confirmed that hitting them with the hot water from a self serve carwash gets frozen struts working again

Comment

Working...
                    X