Retards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retards

NEW YORK (Sept. 6) - The family of a slain motorist has filed suit against the maker of a video game that two teens claim inspired them to shoot at passing cars on a Tennessee highway.

Grand Theft Auto, a video game that allows players to "fire" on people and cars in realistic, shoot-'em-up fashion, is a cash cow that propelled manufacturer TAKE2interactive to the top of the video game industry. For the middle and high school students who play the game for hours on end, it's a means of escaping the monotony of teenage life.

But for two stepbrothers, 16-year-old William and 14-year-old Joshua Buckner, that escape turned deadly this summer. They told police they were emulating Grand Theft Auto on the night of June 25 when they took shotguns to Interstate 40, near their Newport, Tenn., home, and opened fire on vehicles.

A Bullet Through the Window

The boys told police they did not mean to hit people, but the results were catastrophic.

"I have eight bullet fragments all in my body," said 19-year-old Kimberly Bede, of Moneta, Va., who was hit in the pelvis as she rode in the passenger seat of her boyfriend's car. "The bullet entered my hip and I'm still receiving medical treatment."

Aaron Hamel, a 45-year-old registered nurse from Knoxville, Tenn., traveling in a separate car, was killed.

"We had a beautiful day in the mountains, and we were heading back home to Knoxville," said Hamel's cousin, Denise Deneau on ABCNEWS' Good Morning America Friday.

"We were talking, laughing, listening to music and all of a sudden my cousin told me to look at the beautiful flowers. And as I did that, my glass shattered and I felt heat across my face," she said.

When Deneuau saw the glass and blood she thought she had been shot, but when she realized the car was out of control, she looked at Hamel. "He had a large bullet hole at the side of his head," Deneuau said.

After the car made it across the highway, passing oncoming traffic, it stopped at the guard rail.

Deneuau said she knew her cousin would die quickly from the nature of the injury. "I reassured him that I was OK and that I would take care of his pets and I told him that I loved him," she said.

Family members say the nature of Hamel's death is especially ironic because he had volunteered to work at a Tennessee facility for wayward teens shortly before the shooting.

Teens Plead Guilty, Lawsuit Filed

The teenage shooters, who each pleaded guilty to reckless homicide, aggravated assault and reckless endangerment, will be held at a state juvenile detention center until they turn 19. The law in Tennessee allows them to remain in the custody of the state Department of Children's Services until they are 19, but no longer.

In written statements, the boys expressed remorse for their actions.

"I will always hate myself for what I did. I am so sorry," wrote William Buckner.

"I didn't want to hurt anyone," wrote Joshua Buckner. "This will be with me the rest of my life."

The Hamel family hired attorney Jack Thompson and filed suit Thursday against TAKE2interactive, the video game maker. Thompson says it's time to send a message to the video game makers.

"We want to send a message with a huge verdict to Sony and TAKE2interactive and the entire video game industry that if they're going to continue to market adult-rated games to children with these horrific consequence, then we're going to take their blood money from them and send a message to their boards that they have to stop this practice or there will be other suits on behalf of other people, killed by these games," Thompson said.

TAKE2interactive declined to comment to Good Morning America about the incident.

Are Parents the Gatekeepers?

It's not the first time the game Grand Theft Auto has been linked to bouts of real-life violence.

A gang of teenagers in California, charged with plotting carjackings and murder, say their actions were inspired by playing Grand Theft Auto, morning, noon, and night.

In Oakland, Calif., a group of young people who called themselves the "Nut Cases" told police they played violent video games before going out and robbing and killing random victims on the street. They said their favorite was Grand Theft Auto. The five men and one woman are facing charges in dozens of robberies and five killings that took place in 2002 and early 2003.

The Entertainment Software Association, which represents the video game industry, pointed to research showing that youth crime has gone down even as video games have proliferated. The games are rated for violence, and ultimately, parents make the decisions about what games they bring into their homes, the association said in a statement.

"Parents are present at and involved in the purchase or rental of games 83 percent of the time, according to a September 2000 Federal Trade Commission report," the association said.

Family members of those killed in video game-related shooting sprees say it is time to take Grand Theft Auto off the market, before more lives are lost.

Bede, who says she will never fully recover from the incident that left bullet fragments in her body, isn't satisfied with the sentence the Buckner boys received. "I really don't think they got what they deserve," she said.

Copyright 2003 ABC News._ All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

When will people learn....
    2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

It shocks me to think these kids thought hey lets just shoot at moving cars with a shotgun. I mean wtf is this world coming too? Always looking for something or someone to put the blame ( Fat childeren saying mcdonalds did it) God i hate people

Comment

It happened not far from where I live, and it caused alot of people to be afraid of traveling down I-40.

Comment

"I'm sorry for what I did" ?!?!

Ya kid, I bet you are...

Nick Holinski
          2002 5 Speed Classic Red Protege' 5

Injen CAI - Painted Calipers - Red Hose Kit - Painted Valve Cover And Heat Shield - Factory Color Matched Engine Parts - Red / Black "Powered By Mazda" Shoulder Pads - Sylvania SilverStar High / Lows - Custom Red Rear Blinkers - Levoc Racing Development Pedals - Red Wire Looms / Covers - White Axis NE-O 17" Rims - Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 Rubber - Mazdaspeed Exhaust - 35% Tint All Around - Protege' 5 Indiglo Door Sills - Protege' 5 Interior Badging - Alpine SEC-150R Perimiter Alarm - Eurolite Red Underglow - Disabled DRL's - Bug Deflector For Winter - Chrome Gauge Bezel Surrounds - Mazdaspeed / MP3 Lip Splitter (On MP3 Bumper) - Mazdaspeed Protege Badges - iON Performance V-Weave Carbon Fiber Hood - Replacement 2003 J-Spec Headlights - Shaved Side Mouldings - Wings West 3 Piece Kit - Autometer Triple Pod - Autometer Phantom Oil / Water Temp And Oil Press

Comment

have people no common sense these days?!?!?!?!?

'04 Titanium RX-8

Comment

What ****tards. Those kids should be taken outside and shot with a shotgun. I think they used the videogame as an excuse because they knew dumbasses would buy it and go sue the gaming company for God knows what reason. What the **** are people thinking?!

Comment

What wrong with calling the kids psychos? Can't you lay the blame on them?
                2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Originally posted by charles
                  What wrong with calling the kids psychos? Can't you lay the blame on them?

^^^ exactly for those of you who haven't seen cris rock's bigger and blacker stand up show, he talks about columbine and all this. he says everyone wants to blame it on movies and TV and music. but what ever happend to "crazy"? nobody's crazy anymore? and if you want to blame anyone but the kids, blame the parents all this positive parenting crap is retarded. i got my ass spanked like hell when i was a kid if i did half the **** kids these days get away with. yeah i tried the whole throwing a fit in the store so my mom would buy me a toy. it got me a smack on the ass, and my mom said if i kept it up she'd leave me at the store all these parents nowadays being all nice and **** to their kids when they act up. **** that. spank the **** out of them, then they'll respect you more. no i'm not saying to beat your kids. i was far from beaten, but my mom was a single mother and had to raise a pain in the ass like me but there's a big difference between punishment and beating, and all i see these days are the extremes. the parents that actually beat their kids, and the parents that won't lay a hand on their kids. c'mon people, neither one will be benificial to your child, especially when it comes to respecting others and thier lives. ok, rant over. but everytime i see a kid talking back to their mom in a store, i'm glad my mom spanked me. physical punishments are a good thing when used properly.

Comment

What has this world come to. I play Grand theft auto , now I must go outside and snipe old ladies in the throat. WEeeeeeeee!
                    2k4 Rally White Mazda 3 Hatchback

Sound By CDT , powered by DLS-CA23
                    Bass by Elemental Design, powered by HIFONICS

Comment

I agree 100% with Blue. I was spanked as a child as punishment, and goddamnit it taught me a lesson.

Nick Holinski
                      2002 5 Speed Classic Red Protege' 5

Injen CAI - Painted Calipers - Red Hose Kit - Painted Valve Cover And Heat Shield - Factory Color Matched Engine Parts - Red / Black "Powered By Mazda" Shoulder Pads - Sylvania SilverStar High / Lows - Custom Red Rear Blinkers - Levoc Racing Development Pedals - Red Wire Looms / Covers - White Axis NE-O 17" Rims - Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 Rubber - Mazdaspeed Exhaust - 35% Tint All Around - Protege' 5 Indiglo Door Sills - Protege' 5 Interior Badging - Alpine SEC-150R Perimiter Alarm - Eurolite Red Underglow - Disabled DRL's - Bug Deflector For Winter - Chrome Gauge Bezel Surrounds - Mazdaspeed / MP3 Lip Splitter (On MP3 Bumper) - Mazdaspeed Protege Badges - iON Performance V-Weave Carbon Fiber Hood - Replacement 2003 J-Spec Headlights - Shaved Side Mouldings - Wings West 3 Piece Kit - Autometer Triple Pod - Autometer Phantom Oil / Water Temp And Oil Press

Comment

Somebody give those kids a Judas Priest album. The hidden subliminal messages will make them kill themselves, and we won't have to worry about them anymore.

(or was that Ozzy? I can't remember)
                        ~Mark.
                        2002 Protege DX 5 speed, "Kenmore White," well-loved and a little over half paid-for

Comment

Working...
                        X