Euphoria's 323 SE to GTX project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Euphoria's 323 SE to GTX project

That's right, another build from scratch. Just like the rest. Or maybe not. Who knows, for now I'm still exploring my options. So I figured it wouldn't hurt to join up here, and gather whatever info I can.

So far, I've already done a few basic mods that just about every decent car should have, such as rims, performance struts & springs, and strut bars... Also HID head lights, but that's only because the stock bulbs were junk, and those came along for a decent price.

Anyway, I figure if I'm to get any help with my project, it'd be nice for people to know what my goal is. I figure anywhere from a 10.5 to 12 second 1/4 mile is good. Thinking I might need somewhere around 300-400whp, aiming for 300 for starts. For now I've decided I'll get a BPT to swap in for a little fun while I build a second engine on the bench. Still debating between a second BPT, a BPD, and a KF-ZE. No KL-ZE since I like running boost, and there'd be no room for it with that one.

In any case, I still have much to learn about all of those, so I won't be making a decision anytime soon. For now, I just wanna continue to explore my options. So I'll ask a few questions. But first, some pics (I know you'll all ask for some anyway).

Here's the stock pics http://geocities.com/syntheticman6/323

And here's pics of the progress:
    New cluster: Old one didn't have a tach.

New wheel studs (as well as old ones): Needed them for the new rims, lugs weren't catching on anything.

New rims: 15x7" with +33 offset

New suspension: struts, springs & strut bars

That's right, it's still a stock B6

I've actualy cut those pannels since this pic, so they're back in place now. I'll have to take a new pic sometime.

And just a few random photos:

Anyway, that's my car. Now for those questions I was talking about...

#1: Has anyone had any experience doing a supercharger & turbo set up in these (because I don't like turbo lag)? If so, what should I expect in terms of problems/price?

And #2: After I installed my HIDs, I lost the use of my highbeams (there were only two wires, the ground & low beam, so now I can turn my lights off with the highbeam switch, not sure it's legal, but it is good to avoid blinding people with my abnormaly bright lights), ever since, there's been a rapid clicking type sound coming from the glove box area inside the car. What the hell is causing it? Because it's realy annoying... My bro thinks it could be a DRL modual, or something. But he's not 100% sure, and I don't trust him ripping apart my car to find out. So any help would be nice.

the clicking noise is the headlight relay, it senses no headlights for the high beams. if you want hi and lo beams you can get a set of bi xenon hids. thats what i have in my dd so i have both high and low beam.
    91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

i've never heard of anyone running a v6 turbo in a bg (except mx3's). i don't think there's enough room in the engine bay.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by me19875 View Post
        i've never heard of anyone running a v6 turbo in a bg (except mx3's). i don't think there's enough room in the engine bay.
        That sucks. Probly explains why all I ever see in these is the KL-ZE though...

Comment

Supercharged KL BG hatchback being built: http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42216

1993 Mazda Familia GTR - work log

Comment

You see! Even with boost it's always a KL! What's so bad about the KF? I know the K8 is junk, but I've never heard of any major problems with the KF...

In any case, that guy's my new hero.

Comment

Because for the same price you can get 2.5L instead of 2L, and they're just as easy to find. Or try to find a KJ-ZEM (2.3 supercharged twin I/C with Miller Cycle).

1993 Mazda Familia GTR - work log

Comment

So I've been looking into that KJ-ZEM mentioned above. Seems pretty interesting. But I'm wondering how much room I would have left after the swap. Because I'm thinking I could try to run a pair of CT9 turbos (or something similar) on it, but I'd have to get a pair of small FMICs since there'd be too much piping in the actual engine bay... My only concern is the exhaust. Since it's FWD, there isn't enough room for dual, so does it come with a pipe joining the 2 manifolds already, or would I have to buy/make one?

Then again, THIS doesn't exacly suggest that a turbo setup would work on this engine. My understanding is that it NEEDS boost in order to function properly. So my questions are:
                -Would trying turbo on it ruin the engine/turbo? (Does the supercharger have a clutch on it or no?)
                -Should I just upgrade the supercharger instead?
                -Or would I be better off taking a KF/KL and replacing the internals in order to be sure they can handle enough boost?
                And that exhaust pipe question still stands with the rest of these (on all the engines).
                Last edited by Euphoria; 06-24-2009, 12:10 PM.

Comment

nice bg hatch good starting point the body and interior looks realy clean

Comment

Aww man, you have no idea. These pictures don't do it ANY justice. Especialy under the hood, you can only realy see about a 1/4 of the rust in the pic. And just about all of rust on the car is only surface rust, only spots that are actualy rusting fairly bad is the rear strut mounts. They'll be fine for now though, just need to keep Krowning them.

Also, if anyone in the Ottawa area (or even Montreal/Toronto areas) has a 1st gen Protege GT I can pull rear brake disks off, or has a cargo area cover in good condition, PM me, I need those parts.

Comment

Alright, progress is slow with me, but it comes around none the less. For now, I haven't touched the car. But I did find a parts car for it. It was about the same condition, rust in different places though, so I can pull the parts I want. Found it for 250$, however, there's always a catch at that price. In this case, it has no brakes and the rear strut tower is broken.

Apart from that, I investigated the leak in the hatch and found where it is... As well as the damage it's done. Leak is right at the bottom corner of the window, here's the damage done:

I can fix it, don't get me wrong. I just don't like having it in such an awkward place.

And since I had the camera in my hands, I figured I'd take a few more pics.

Among the many other things I've got to fix, I figure bigger mudflaps should be useful:

Now it's just the random pics.

^ my new avatar

I also found someone who can fix the cargo cover for me, so I no longer care that the parts car doesn't have one.

Now, among the many things I've got to choose from, I figure I best be keeping the spare alternator, starter, shifter, tranny, and axels off the parts car. Everything else, I'll be parting off if I don't find a use for it first. So feel free to make your list of things you need for when I start the thread.

Now I just have 1 question. The axels I'll be taking from my parts car will the fit the G series tranny right? I'm pretty sure they will, but it's always nice to confirm it.

Comment

Alright! Another useless post!... Well, semi-useless, just an update to what I'm doing to waste time until I can actualy afford to start my full project (engine, tranny, roll cage, full restoration, new paint [very cool colour, I'm sure we'll all like], etc.)

Anyway, today my bro went to the glass shop to see what he could find to remove scratches from his windshield... I found some plastic polish there, and went a bit out of control...

BEFOR:

AFTER:

Best part, is it only took like 10 minutes!... Or is that the worst part? 'Cause now I got nothing to do again!

Comment

mind sharing what polish you used? also some followup pics in a couple weeks to compare.
                          -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
                          VF10 powered!
                          262 Whp & 257 Wtq
                          13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

I used Novus plastic polish #2.

And as for those followup pics, I'll be sure to get a couple next time I do a photoshoot (after I get my G2 in a couple weeks).

Comment

i would keep the mudflaps but thats just me.

sigpicWorlds first car with GPS was a Mazda

~~~~~~~~> Thanks again to member gooseinyou for the familia garnish <~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                              X