Key ignition issues!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Key ignition issues!

I'm having some issues with my key and ignition. My key is so worn out that one day i put my key in the ignition and it just got stuck! luckily yesterday i sprayed some WD40 and got it out. It still works for my door locks but i definitely cant use it to start my car now and its the only key Ive got and if you've tried to get one made than you'll know that no one has the right blank. Here's what i want to do. I want to put in a push button starter and i know a lot of you have done this before but have used the key. I cant use the key so i was thinking of going with some toggle switches and button start. will this work? Can anyone give me an idea of how to do it? Ive already got the switch out and have been using a flat head to star my ride. Any input would be appreciated.

This is very easy to do, only problem is its very easy for someone to boost your car.Ile give you a hint that will save you some money, go to the junk yard and get a ignition lock off of another car. Take it to a lock smith and have them match it to your keys. Go to the dealer, and get a new key made. The original blanks are still available from the dealer. Ive gotten one recently. Swap them out, you should be fine. I did the push button becuase my ignition switch took a dump, and i didnt want to buy a new one all though it would have been cheaper if I had. A good push botten switch for the ignition system will run you somewhere around $75 to 100 bucks. This is for a push botten made for auto applications and can handle the current running through it.
    Mazda
    1988 Black 323 GT
    DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

2013 Velocity Red Mica Mazdaspeed3

Comment

I installed a push button start. I have to have the key in and turned to on to start the car still, but it prevents having to turn the key with force to start the car. Did it get stuck when turning the key to start the car, or just putting it in?

Comment

i had one in mine, but somewhere along the line i messed up a wire so i had to put a new switch in from a 626.

its definitely possible, just make sure you know what to do.

'88 323 sedan, K-swapped..

'03.5 Mazdaspeed Protege - miss it so much..

'01 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins - 323 hauler

Comment

If the issue is that the key is worn, just go to a dealer and have a new key cut from the VIN.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by FamiliaGT View Post
            A good push botten switch for the ignition system will run you somewhere around $75 to 100 bucks. This is for a push botten made for auto applications and can handle the current running through it.
            This is what relays are for... I paid.. .$20 for my set up..

1988 White GTX - #1 parts
            1988 Black GTX - #2 reliably broken touge monstar (294,000 miles no rebuilds) - dead
            1988 Blue GTX - #3 in progress (view here)
            1988 Blue GTX - #4 BPT swapped weekend warrior.
            1988 White GTX - #5 Rally car

Comment

I have a Toyota mr2 aswell as my 323 and i put a push button in that, all i did was take two wires from the points on the ignition loom that correspond with the 'start' switch and ran my push button in parallel with that. all up cost me about $10NZD so roughly $7USD. was i just really lucky that this worked or something? i cant imagine the parts i needed costing $130NZD. Ive never had any problems with it and me and my brother are working on expanding the setup to use a small programmable chip (picaxe) and a keypad so he will punch in a code and the engine will fire. even this will only come to around 10USD.

Comment

I'm not familiar enough with the MR2 ignition system... but it's entirely possible that your ignition has a low amperage draw... Either that or one of these days... your button will melt/burst into flames/smoke.

1988 Black GTX - #2 reliably broken touge monstar (294,000 miles no rebuilds) - dead

Comment

well im going into electrical engineering, so i knew how to test it with a multimeter and matched up a correct switch and from memory it was a very small current so my guess is its a switch that ran to a relay somewhere else in the loom and that was the 'real' ignition switch. plus i got a stainless steel button it wont melt it will just burn you really bad haha

Comment

I managed to get the key out smoothly and found a place that could match the key from the 4 digit number on the original and had a few made and it works great now. Now my door lock isnt working on the drivers side. Ill put the key in and it doesn't move or nothin. It was working fine a week ago. Maybe I can swap over the pass side one since I never enter that side lol.

Comment

What kinda car is this? The gtx has a plastic cover over the key hole that likes to break and fall into the lock... it pretty much does what you're describing. Also check your old key in there and see if the tumblers are just off a bit. Might need to take it into the locksmith.

Comment

The driver's side always breaks from wear. The passenger side is not a direct swap as the little arm on the back of it is one the wrong side. You might be able to change it around, though.

BOb

Comment

Working...
                        X