Reading the ECU codes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reading the ECU codes

Is there anyone that has read the codes on there 2nd gen Protege. I tried to use a machine that my dad had. It fit up on the plug under the dash but if failed to read the codes.
    Where did you go to get your codes read.
    Will Autozone do it.
    photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Yup, autozone will do it and the machine your father has may not be working because there are 3 different OBD protocols. Our cars use the ISO protocol and the machine you used may have been incompatible.

Comment

I'm not sure if this is accurate to our protege's but I have a table for general Mazda codes from a magazine I bought a few months ago.

Just like toyota, most mazdas require locating the diagnostic plug beneath the hood and jumping the required pins. reading the codes, be sure the vehicle is in the "OFF" position. The vehicle we tested was a '95 RX-7 but most late-model Mazdas require jumping the same pins in the diagnostoc plug. Most Mazdas will apply to this sequence but to be certain check your service manual. Our RX-7 required jumping the "TEN" pin, and the ground "GND" and placing the car in the "ON" position. Codes are signified through thr check engine light on the dash and new codes begin 4 seconds from the last code. The CEL will blink as in morse code, a long blink (dash) represents a 10, and a sing blink (dot) represents a 1. for example, if you get two long blinks and three short ones, the code is 23.

2 --- Crank Angle Sensor (NE SIGNAL)
      3 --- Crank Angle Sensor (G SIGNAL)
      5 --- Knock Signal
      6 --- Speedometer Signal
      9 --- Water Temp Sensor
      11 --- Intake Air Temp Sensor
      12 --- Throttle Angle Sensor
      13 --- Pressure Sensor
      14 --- Atmospheric Sensor
      15 --- O2 Sensor
      16 --- EGR Switch
      17 --- Feedback System
      18 --- Throttle Sensor (Narrow Range)
      20, 26, 27 & 37 --- Metering Oil Pump Position Sensor
      23 --- Fuel Thermosensor
      25 --- Solenoid Valve (Pressure Regulator Control)
      28 --- Solenoid Valve (EGR)
      30 --- Solenoid Valve (Split Air Bypass)
      31 --- Solenoid Valve (Relief 1)
      32 --- Solenoid Valve (Switching)
      33 --- Solenoid Valve (Port Air Bypass)
      34 --- Solenoid Valve (Idle Speed Control)
      38 --- Solenoid Valve (Acceleration Warm-Up System)
      39 --- Solenoid Valve (Relief 2)
      40 --- Solenoid Valve (Purge Control)
      42 --- Solenoid Valve (Turbo Pre Control)
      43 --- Solenoid Valve (Wastegate Control)
      44 --- Solenoid Valve (Turbo Control)
      45 --- Solenoid Valve (Charge Control)
      46 --- Solenoid Valve (Charge Relief)
      50 --- Solenoid Valve (Double Throttle Control)
      51 --- Fuel Pump Relay
      54 --- Air Pump Relay
      71, 73 --- Injector
      76 --- Slip Lock Up Off Signal
      77 --- Torque Reduced Signal

May Not be Accurate for All vehicle models and California Models

Hope This Helps.

Comment

The 95 isn't even OBD-II I had no idea that you could "read" the code that way, but after 1996 all cars were updated to version 2 of the OBD (OBD-II) so this procedure may not work at all. I don't know about that "TEN" pin on the connector. Our connector has pins 4,5,7 and 16.

4 is chassis ground
        5 is signal ground
        7 is ISO 9141-2 K Line
        16 is Battery Power

I don't see how shorting any two pins will produce a desirable effect.

Comment

Bruce, if you go to Autozone, their machine will only read the codes if CEL is ON. Otherwise it will come up blank.
          "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

I will try and jump the TEN and GRD and see what happens.
            I did it to adjust the idle ...

We will see if it works ... but not tonight , it may be -25 ...
            Bruce

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

the 95 actually has both obd I and II and can be read at autozone
              In the Garage
              Black 93 MX-3 GS
              Bp powered
              GTR Drive Train

The ProjectMx build thread
              MyCardomain[/SIZE]

"Shut up, at least the bunnies are on fire!"

Comment

Originally posted by protegeboy78
                the 95 actually has both obd I and II and can be read at autozone
                Interesting. I did not know that.

Comment

Originally posted by turbonium959
                  Bruce, if you go to Autozone, their machine will only read the codes if CEL is ON. Otherwise it will come up blank.
                  watch these movies

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

CEL is ON

Comment

Hey, you know what. My cousin has the same problem on his '90 Accord. His tach works fine, but speedo does not. It will come on once in a while, but not for long, and then his CEL turn on. He has been driving like this for about 4-5 months. But I wonder if this is the same problem? When did it happen, Bruce?

P.S. about my earlier post - I posted it before reading the entire thread. My bad.

Comment

Originally posted by turbonium959
                        Hey, you know what. My cousin has the same problem on his '90 Accord. His tach works fine, but speedo does not. It will come on once in a while, but not for long, and then his CEL turn on. He has been driving like this for about 4-5 months. But I wonder if this is the same problem? When did it happen, Bruce?

P.S. about my earlier post - I posted it before reading the entire thread. My bad.
                        lol .. what do you mean ..
                        My spedo and tach are fine ... it's the check engine light I need to get rid off. I just need to know for sure what codes are in the ecu

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by bruce95fmla
                          lol .. what do you mean ..
                          My spedo and tach are fine ... it's the check engine light I need to get rid off. I just need to know for sure what codes are in the ecu
                          Never mind, I must be crazy. I am doing my homework in school library and running Pro/E Wildfire, so everything is slow as hell, and this is a 2.8GHz machine. My bad. I go home now...

Comment

well, I am not driving the protege for the rest of the week. So I will take it to autozone on Saturday and have them check it for me then.

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Speaking of ECU codes.... are there any codes that tell you about auto transmission's & auto tranny component's problems/failures??
                              Ex-Officer: INTENSE Performance Mazda Club of South Florida

JDM nut & AutoXer: 1992 Blaze Red Mazda 323 S
                              262,000 miles and kickin... and got some wicked new goodies recently...

BP Engine Build: Soon... Engine on the garage floor, parts on order

"Ever seen a 323 on Anthracite 17" OZ Superleggeras?!?!
                              ...... and more importantly ever seen one with matching 15" Superleggeras for Autox??"

Comment

Working...
                              X