Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please Help 97 Mazda Protege

Hi,

I have a 97 Mazda Protege LX and about 3 months ago the check engine light went on. I went to autozone to find out the codes and I found out that the light was caused by a misfire at cylinder 4. I was about to bring the car to the dealership but then the check engine light turned off. So I said to myself if its off then probably theres nothing wrong with car considering that it was running just fine with no problems.

A month passed by and when it got cold here the car is having a hard time starting in the mornings and the engine light turned back on. Its like the engine was flooded. But when it gets warm I can start the engine and the car runs fine with no problems and then the engine light was off again. I brought the car to the dealership and they said that the car needs the exhaust valve to be replaced, the intake valve to be resurfaced, and also the EGR Boost Sensor needs to be replaced. The valve job was needed because of low compression and the EGR Boost Sensor was causing the check engine light. All in all the cost is $2000, the valve job alone cost $1500.

I have a friend who used to be a mechanic but not anymore as he thinks he is getting old to be a mechanic and when I told him my situation he said that it doesn't need a valve job since its running smoothly and the only problem I'm having is starting the car when it gets cold. He suggested then that I should just replace the fuel injectors and that should fix the problem.

So what do you guys think, should I go with the $2000 repair in which I couldn't really afford or should I just have my friend replace the fuel injectors which will cost around $400.00?

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions and all your help on this. I apologize for the length of this thread I just wanted to be as detailed as possible.

Why not just try and replace the EGR valve?
    Wouldn't that be simpler?
    If your injectors were giving problems they would give problems regardless of the weather.
    photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by bruce95fmla
      Why not just try and replace the EGR valve?
      Wouldn't that be simpler?
      If your injectors were giving problems they would give problems regardless of the weather.
      Thanks bruce for the reply, if I go and buy an EGR valve at an auto parts store like autozone or kragen and replace the EGR valve and the problem still arises can I still return the EGR valve get my money back? I checked online and the EGR Valve cost around $200-$250.

Comment

Hey man,
        My car did the exact same thing before I knew much about cars. I mean the EXACT SAME thing. Dont believe that EGR **** and all. Replace the spark plugs and plug wires and i bet youll be running just fine. Your spark probably got weak and thats what happened with the misfire. Also if your spark is weak starting is hard. Try that FIRST. If it does turn out to be EGR i have a used one in great condition i can sell you so you wont have to pay an arm and a leg. But really try your plugs and wires.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by OCD-SPEED
          Hey man,
          My car did the exact same thing before I knew much about cars. I mean the EXACT SAME thing. Dont believe that EGR **** and all. Replace the spark plugs and plug wires and i bet youll be running just fine. Your spark probably got weak and thats what happened with the misfire. Also if your spark is weak starting is hard. Try that FIRST. If it does turn out to be EGR i have a used one in great condition i can sell you so you wont have to pay an arm and a leg. But really try your plugs and wires.
          Thx for the reply OCD, I already tried replacing the spark plugs, but I haven't tried the wires yet. Ill try that and hopefully that would fix the problem

Comment

I forgot to ask, can you recommend what spark plugs and wires I should get. Thanks again

Comment

Well it really depends. There are alot of good brands. I personally think NGK's are the best, but any name brand is good. Just dont get any of the plugs like the bosch +2 and +4. I am sure that the ones you have are good anyway. BTW you have a 1.5L right? Well I have a fairly new set of plug wires for a 1.5L i can sell you for cheap too.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by OCD-SPEED
                Just dont get any of the plugs like the bosch +2 and +4.
                Do you mind me asking why not?

Comment

They dont spark as strong. Granted it gives the spark several options to follow so it wont misfire but it also can devide the spark and weakin it. I dont know what everyone else says but ive personally tested one and watched the spark divide.......it just doesnt suit my fancy if you know what i mean.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X