Is wider always better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is wider always better?

I've been considering getting some light 15x7 wheels and high-performance tires. After looking at the different sizes available for the tires, I found that I could mount 195/55, 205/50, 215/60 or 225/50 tires on them. I was wondering if I should just get the widest tire that fits on my wheel, or would a smaller one be better? Is there a maximum width tire that will fit on the 3rd gen proteges?
    Personal 1/4 mile: 57 sec @ 14 mph
    Haven't tried with the pro yet...

depends on the tire. a 225 all season tire isn't going to be as good as a 185 high performance tire.

be more specific about what you want out of a set of tires and we can make a better suggestion.
    "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
    -93 MR2, 129 ES
    ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
    Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Basically, I want maximum grip. I'm just concerned that a wide tire might rub on the fenders or the inside of the wheel well. I'm also thinking about autocrossing my car in the spring, so if there is a maximum tire size allowed for my class, I'd like to stay under that. I'm not sure what class I would fall into, but I think H stock would be roughly where I should be.

Comment

go with 205's that is the widest i would go on a 3rd gen. especially if you mean to lower it around 2'',
        According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

the 215's should work fine, although i've only seen 215s on 17" rims... never heard of anybody using 225's, though.

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
          RB springs
          Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
          MP3 front bumper conversion

Comment

i have eibach springs and had to roll my fenders to get 205's to fit so i wouldnt try 215s if you lower your car. anyone who knows otherwise please tell me how you got them to fit.
            According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by ProtonPants
              Basically, I want maximum grip. I'm just concerned that a wide tire might rub on the fenders or the inside of the wheel well. I'm also thinking about autocrossing my car in the spring, so if there is a maximum tire size allowed for my class, I'd like to stay under that. I'm not sure what class I would fall into, but I think H stock would be roughly where I should be.
              If you are going to run in stock, then you have to run on your stock wheel (width). For stock, if your region has a street tire class, then Falken Azenis are the hot ticket (for summer only), in either 195/60-14 if you have 14" wheels or 205/50-15 for 15" rims. If you want to run on race tires in stock class, then 225/50-14 front and 205/55-14 rear for 14's, or 225/45-15 front and 205/50-15 rear for 15's are the hot ticket.

If you want to play with the 7" rims, then you could build for STS. And then 205/50-15 Azenis are still the hot ticket. You can check the rules at http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/
              David Avard
              '90 Protege LX (STS-prepped)
              '89 Civic Si (STS-prepped)
              '02 Altima SE (14.164 @ 97.7mph stock)

Comment

Originally posted by fuq_A_vtec
                i have eibach springs and had to roll my fenders to get 205's to fit so i wouldnt try 215s if you lower your car. anyone who knows otherwise please tell me how you got them to fit.
                How much is your car lowered? I've been thinking about lowering my car, probably about 1-1.5 inches, but I don't want my tires to rub on the fenders.

Thanks for the help everyone. You guys are way better than some of the other forums.

Comment

i believe the eibachs are suppose to lower about 1.5 but i think maybe its closer to 2". When i bought my wheels, the ****ers i bought them from, put one over on me, and i had 3 205's and 1 215(i did not notice this), the 215 was on the back for about 6 months with no problem, after i rolled the rear quarters. my dumbass didnt notice it until i tried to rotate my tires, i put the 215 on front and after a week of intense rubbing, i took it off to look at what the hell was rubbing, i looked at both fronts and only the driver side had rubmarks in the fender well, i was puzzled as hell and when i looked at the 205 and 215 sitting next to each other, i noticed the fact that they had given me 2 different sizes. So, i do not suggest you go with 215's, 205's look meaty enough, and i dont know **** about autox, but i dont think you really need any wider tires on a 2500 pd car. but hey what the **** do i know.<---dont answer this.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

I've got my car pretty damn low on JIC coilovers and I run 215/40-18s with no rubbing at all. It's all about offset.

Comment

im probaly wrong but a 215 in the front of my car, no matter what the offset is rubs. the above problems occured with quantum teks, i am in the process of selling my motegis, but even with those and 205's i rubbed alittle bit. so i guess the only for sure information i can give you is if you have quantum tek q45's and 215's you will not be going anywhere, any other information that i may give you is simply a guess.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

I have 205/55-15 with Continentall ExtremeContact all-season-high-performance tires. I have not got a chance to autocross my car yet, but its a major improvement over the stock 175/70-13.
                        "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

Originally posted by ProtonPants
                          How much is your car lowered? I've been thinking about lowering my car, probably about 1-1.5 inches, but I don't want my tires to rub on the fenders.
                          I have the eibach springs also... if I remember right it's 1.5 in the front and 1.7 rear. It doesn't sound like much but it makes a very noticeable difference both in how it looks and performance. And it takes a while for them to settle completely, so they'll keep getting a little lower for a few months after they're installed.

Comment

I have the Eibach's with 205's and no rubbing at all.
                            Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

i've ran 215/40 on the stock 16" wheels, wouldn't recommend it though b/c not all the tred touch's
                              '02 classic red p5
                              currently enrolled in AA.

Comment

Working...
                              X