Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

egt -> egt engine swap

hi, i'm new here so be gentle

my friends and I completed a swap of a lower mileage engine into my daily driver egt this weekend, but i'm unable to get it to start. it cranks over normally, has good compression and the fuel pump is running (i hear it in the back and also hear fuel rushing through the fuel rail when the key is on). I've checked the spark plugs, but I get no spark. Obviously this can be a number of things, so I'm trying to narrow it down. when the key is on, i get the brake, oil and battery idiot lights, but no check engine. i read somewhere that this could indicate a problem with the ecu. I also have this connecter pictured below that nobody has been able to figure out where it goes. Any ideas on this connector or the lack of the CEL?

The connector in question is the one in the foreground, in focus. I know the one behind is the O2 sensor, but I'm assuming that having it disconnected is only going to throw a code and not keep me from having spark. Best I can figure from looking at schematics and whatnot is that it's a ground, but when I jumper it to ground I still get no spark.

That looks like the ground that clips onto the thermostat housing, not sure what its for, but there should be a little metal clip that it plugs into.
    sigpic

Comment

yeah I think it's a ground too... I'll have to dig out my other thermostat housing and see if i can see a clip on there. I haven't been able to find anything to plug it in to so far

Comment

I cant remember if it was exactly on the thermostat housing but I know its in that area.
        sigpic

Comment

yeah it doesn't have much slack so it has to be somewhere in that neighborhood. I'll try and find the tang that it's supposed to plug in to and hopefully that will give me spark...

Comment

the lack of a CEL with the key on concerns me though

Comment

did the CEL work before the swap? i know its stupid but check that the CEL bulb isnt burnt out

Comment

yeah it worked :/ it would come on with the key on, and stay on sometimes after startup.... both cars would start and run before we started screwing with them lol

Comment

The top bolt to the thermostat usually has a bracket on it and that ground clips on that bracket.
                  Cincinnati, ohio Bengals for life
                  "Who Dey"

Comment

Originally posted by bomdoutscort View Post
                    The top bolt to the thermostat usually has a bracket on it and that ground clips on that bracket.
                    thanks, i went digging through my spare parts and found the bracket attached to the other thermostat housing. i got it on there and plugged it in, but still no spark. my CEL still isn't coming on either

Comment

ok i just pulled a plug and the bores are bone dry, so the injectors aren't squirting either. it's gotta be a problem with the computer missing some connection or another.. no spark, no injector pulse, and no CEL. i doubt the computer has gone bad since i just drove the car friday, but i have no idea where to start with this...

Comment

I know it sounds silly but have heard 2 people have this trouble. Check the fuse box under the hood and make sure all the plugs are plugged all the way in and are not corroded!
                        1991 Mazda 323 Base (Gretchen)-Build Thread
                        Sold-1987 Mazda 323 Wagon (Molly)-Build Thread
                        R.I.P.-1988 Mazda 323 GT (Misty) -Build Thread

Oh Colorado, how beautiful your mountains and awesome your roads!

Comment

Originally posted by Crazypunkerguy View Post
                          I know it sounds silly but have heard 2 people have this trouble. Check the fuse box under the hood and make sure all the plugs are plugged all the way in and are not corroded!
                          nothing is too silly for me to try at this point anything from having to pull the ecu and check all the pins!

Comment

did you make sure all your fuses are good?
                            91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

Double check your fuel lines aren't backwards.

Make sure all your grounds are hooked up.

Check for spark at the coil.

Check firing order if spark is present.

Check rotor alignment with cyl #1 @TDC

JACK.
                              -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Working...
                              X