Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Allo from Australia (please dont shoot me!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allo from Australia (please dont shoot me!)

Hey Guys!

Well this is my first post so i better say this before someone gets a bat out and beats me senseless! I'm from Australia where it is the land of: NO PARTS. I actually have a Ford (dont shoot me) Laser '00 model which funnily enough is actually a mazda 323 '00 model with a different shell. Everything is exactly identical to the mazda 323 even the interior. The only difference is that it has a different body.

Anyway its a stock 1.6L 5sp manual. The only thing ive done to it so far is replace the stock speakers and today I bought a K&N filter for it (which surprisingly they didnt have for the ford laser but they had for hte mazda 323! hurrah! even though they're EXACTLY THE SAME!!!)

So here comes my few questions/pleas

1) dont hurt me cuz i have a ford!!! its acutally a mazda 323 protege trapped in an ford body!!!!

2) what should i do that doesnt involve me buying imported things... did i mention that there's nothing in Australia??? and mazda and ford charge horrendus amounts for any parts.. i.e. the silver dash/power mirrors finish is available in the states for around US$100-120.. in australia its about US$250-300. Its soo rediculous and what sucks even more is that in australia we're right hand drivers not left hand. so taht rules out importing anything from teh states.

I have alright metal working skills, currently im designing/constructing my own tower bars from various imports and such ive seen. im also making my own air scoop (which ill be making a post on later).

I know you're going to say "goto the mazda faq and read up" and im one step ahead of ya! Im really after general opinions of what should and should not be done.

3) Going back to the K&N filter, I installed it today and its all running sweet but what i have done is taken out the part just before the airbox so that the air can be sucked in directly from the air box (see the image below) i just want to know if this is ok and that there are no life threatening dangers with doing this for my car??

If you see at the bottom right of the image you can see the air box just south of that is the open inlet. Is this ok??

And here are some pics of my car just to show that it really is a mazda in the inside. lol..

The engine bay;

Inside my car;

The dash (i just bought the white speedo back off ebay so that'll be in there soon);

Pic of my car in the good old Aussie bush... i mean down the road.... actaully it was taken about 4 hrs inland ( i live on the coast).

Anyway tahts it from me for now... hope you dont mind me lurking around here and asking some questions... its a mazda i swear!!!! half the bloody parts in and on the car say mazda on them!

Cheers guys!
    Diary of a nerd;
    A life? Cool! Where can i download one of those from?

Mazda 323 trapped in a Ford Laser body! Thats my story

i believe power chips is out of australia, and they've got a chip for the 1.6L

Comment

sweeet... now to do some research on this.. *fires up the google car*
      Diary of a nerd;

Comment

welcome to clubprotege and don't sweat the ford stuff. ford and mazda aree in bed with each other, there are quite a few models here that are the same ie: b2500/ranger, explorer/tribute. I'd look into what Blue said. Power Chips mate. it is mate right? the assiue way of saying friend....please don't beat me because I'm a dumb american LOL. you may want to look into some UK resources. they share that whole right drive thing with you. but as far as mechanical stuff goes, it's not going to matter right or left drive when your talking intakes, cams, exhausts and turbos any ways, sorry to have rambled on and ask away with your questions. if someone starts giving you crap just give the the preverbial bitch slap

Comment

bonsai,

Welcome to the Forum. Taking out the part just before the air box, as you call it, is not a good idea since now hot, underhood air will be drawn into the engine. This air, being less dense than ambient temperature air, will likely cause a reduction in power output. You should try to arrange a method of feeding ambient air to the air box.

I don't know if your 323 air intake is similar to that in my 3rd gen but if there was a snorkel fitted to your air box that mounts over the radiator, I would reinstall it for best power output. You won't do any damage to your engine by running this way other than reducing your power output.

For more information on intakes you might want to look here:

02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
          MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
          MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
          Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
          MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
          Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
          Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
          Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
          Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
          Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
          Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
          Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
          Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Originally posted by GotBoost
            welcome to clubprotege and don't sweat the ford stuff. ford and mazda aree in bed with each other, there are quite a few models here that are the same ie: b2500/ranger, explorer/tribute. I'd look into what Blue said. Power Chips mate. it is mate right? the assiue way of saying friend....please don't beat me because I'm a dumb american LOL. you may want to look into some UK resources. they share that whole right drive thing with you. but as far as mechanical stuff goes, it's not going to matter right or left drive when your talking intakes, cams, exhausts and turbos any ways, sorry to have rambled on and ask away with your questions. if someone starts giving you crap just give the the preverbial bitch slap
            hehe cheers its just that i was already kicked off another stupid forum for owning a ford.. *cowers in fear*

Yes it is mate.. but australians arent really australians anymore... im acutally 8 nationalities blended into one but thats another bedtime story! and ask wahtever you want about Australia im more than happy to answer and take the piss outta my country.. lol i dont like it too much as you may notice

I'm looking into power chips at the moment.. cant find too much.. although im probably looking in all the wrong places.

I'm moreso interested in the mechanical aspects of my car.. my long term aim is to make it as fuel efficent as possible (i travel about 900km's a week for my work) yet i want to have a good deal of power then when a 16yo ricer in his turbo'd riced with 20" rims 1981 toyota corolla pulls up next to me.. believe you me this country is stuffed to the brim with em lol..

As far as looking into the UK they're stuff is almost as expensive as Australia is which is a real kick in the balls the only other option is importing from japan.. and my japanese isnt so crash hot either.

Anyway thanks for the welcome.. i'll be glued on here like sap to a tree so watch out!

sorry.. felt like putting that in
            Diary of a nerd;

Comment

Originally posted by goldstar
              bonsai,

Welcome to the Forum. Taking out the part just before the air box, as you call it, is not a good idea since now hot, underhood air will be drawn into the engine. This air, being less dense than ambient temperature air, will likely cause a reduction in power output. You should try to arrange a method of feeding ambient air to the air box.

I don't know if your 323 air intake is similar to that in my 3rd gen but if there was a snorkel fitted to your air box that mounts over the radiator, I would reinstall it for best power output. You won't do any damage to your engine by running this way other than reducing your power output.

https://www.wihandyman.com/forum/sho...=&threadid=995
              Thanks for the welcome :D

I never really thought of that but it really stands to reason. Yes my laser has the snorkel (i just coudlnt think of a word to describe it). My plan which I will be doing in a few days is to make a pipe (i have flexible hose thats teh diamater of that inlet) that will connect onto the inlet, then run down infront of where the coolant tank is.

From there i have made a fibre glass mould of where the bottom fog lights are on my front bumper (i think tahts what it is called.. my mind isnt running so crash hot at 1am) Im planning to take out the plastic panel for the bottom fog light put this mould inside it then connect the other side of the inlet hose on the mould.

That way i'll have cold air directly coming into the hose which goes to my air box. In essence it'll work like a scoop.

That probably doesnt sound clear at all.. it takes me a few moments to think about it but Im taking photos of every step of the way and i'll post my results on here.
              Diary of a nerd;

Comment

Originally posted by goldstar
                bonsai,

https://www.wihandyman.com/forum/sho...=&threadid=995

Btw. just read what you linked for me and i must say thats a real eye opener! top work mate!
                Diary of a nerd;

Comment

Originally posted by bonsai
                  Thanks for the welcome :D

I never really thought of that but it really stands to reason. Yes my laser has the snorkel (i just coudlnt think of a word to describe it). My plan which I will be doing in a few days is to make a pipe (i have flexible hose thats teh diamater of that inlet) that will connect onto the inlet, then run down infront of where the coolant tank is.

From there i have made a fibre glass mould of where the bottom fog lights are on my front bumper (i think tahts what it is called.. my mind isnt running so crash hot at 1am) Im planning to take out the plastic panel for the bottom fog light put this mould inside it then connect the other side of the inlet hose on the mould.

That way i'll have cold air directly coming into the hose which goes to my air box. In essence it'll work like a scoop.

That probably doesnt sound clear at all.. it takes me a few moments to think about it but Im taking photos of every step of the way and i'll post my results on here.
                  Actually, your description is quite clear and your planned mod sounds great. I especially like your plan to provide a scoop. Not only will you pick up ambient temperature air but you should also get some ram effect which will help to reduce negative pressure in the air intake system. Good luck with your mod and I would be very interested in seeing photos of your work as I'm sure would other members of the Forum.

02 DX Millenium Red
                  02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
                  MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
                  MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
                  Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
                  MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
                  Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
                  Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
                  Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
                  Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
                  Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
                  Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
                  Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
                  Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

have you looked at NZ?
                    it might be the illusion that the High Octane vids put on me, but it seems as though NZ has lots of high performance shops.
                    Depending on where you live, it could be a little boat ride or a long flight. - at the worst, it would be less to ship something from NZ than to ship from the UK or US.
                    best of luck.

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
                    RB springs
                    Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
                    MP3 front bumper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by Lil Freek
                      have you looked at NZ?
                      it might be the illusion that the High Octane vids put on me, but it seems as though NZ has lots of high performance shops.
                      Depending on where you live, it could be a little boat ride or a long flight. - at the worst, it would be less to ship something from NZ than to ship from the UK or US.
                      best of luck.

Hi,

Thanks goldstar and Lil Freek

goldstar- I have posted my planned project, http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4387

I also tried your mentioned mod. And i must say i am impressed!

Lil Freek- NZ is futher than you think! I did a bit of looking around but i cant find anything very useful. Thanks for the support anyway.
                      Diary of a nerd;

Comment

whats up with your pics??? they are choppy as hell???
                        .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
                        225.94wtq
                        torque monster!!!!
                        dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
                        http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
                        http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

Originally posted by THEGOLDPRO
                          whats up with your pics??? they are choppy as hell???
                          Some are a bit because I don't have a steady hand. Had a minor stroke when i was 15 and now I have the shakes a little. Not really noticible unless i take pictures.
                          Diary of a nerd;

Comment

no maybe its my computer, but they look really choppy and pixilated to me.
                            .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
                            225.94wtq
                            torque monster!!!!
                            dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
                            http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
                            http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

Originally posted by THEGOLDPRO
                              no maybe its my computer, but they look really choppy and pixilated to me.

ohhh

you may have automatic image resizing enabled. It chops up any image to fit to the screen. Those images are 1600x1200 in size.

To disable automatic image resizing click on tools > internet options > advanced > then under multimedia uncheck "enable automatic image resizing".

That should fix it.
                              Diary of a nerd;

Comment

Working...
                              X