Mazdasly75's GT-R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mazdasly75's GT-R

Hi there! I'new to to this forum but not with mazda's stuffs. I own 93 Mx3 with BPT GTX, 96 MX3 KL turbo but I want to show the work on my 323 GT-R.

So, to make an intro, the car is a 93, I bought it in august 2008. It was bone stock. So I started the work 2 weeks later. This car is dedicted to performance, so all mods were to make the car going faster.

The first mod was to build a 3" stainless exaust. The stock exaust was 1"7/8 and this is what was limiting the boost to 9psi. Right after that the boost went to 12 psi by itselt. Bypassing the boost solenoïd added 2psi, so at that point it was to 14psi.

Next step, I installed wideband AFR to read what the stock ECU was doing with the air/fuel mixture. Then I installed manual boost controller and raised the boost to 20psi. I ran the car for the rest of the summer without any problems.

Last winter, the car has been stored, so I pushed the work further. I installed larger FMIC, removed the engine, installed custom clutch and proGT flywheel. I also switched the BP26 head for a rebuilt BP05 one. Of course I swapped the sodiums valves. Then I installed MS with 400kpa MAP sensor fitted and launch control, installed MSD HVC 6 box with HVC coil. I also removed the MAF. I added a monster tach along with digital pyrometer.

For the wheels, I took the mags thaat came with the car and fitted a set of shaved Toyo RA-1 tires. I bought spyns wheel/falken rt615 for daily driving.

This spring, I raissed quickly the boost to 25 psi tuned to 11.5:1 of AFR. I blown the turbo, it was already bypassing oil when I gor the car so it wasn't a surprise that much. I must be a lucky guy cause I onw 3 of those, so I installed a spare one and pushed the limit a little farther and peaked up the boost to 30psi. Result: I melted piston no.4. I'm lucky I was datalogging and passed 28 psi, you need water injection cause the air intake was over 125 degC. Again, I removed the engine and started a rebuilt. Now the block is 0.040" oversized with JE pistons. All seals were already changed but this time I changed stock bearings for race ACL one.

Now the pictures:

The start

The exaust muffler, I'll take more pictures of under the car for the rest of the exaust line.

The interior

The engine bay

The dead piston

New 9:1 0.040" oversize JE piston

The FMIC

The finish

-1993 Familia GT-R, 3" stainless exaust, 0.100" oversize Supertech pistons, ported and polished head, "hemi" style combustion chamber, Supertech 1mm oversize valves, megasquirt, 880cc low-z, MSD HVC, custom SS ramhorn turbo manifold, GT3076R ar.63, 25psi, 3" SS custom exhaust. Soon to be MS3X, COP and 28psi!
    -2008 Mitsubishi Evolution X MR, AEM turbo inlet system, 3" magnaflow exhaust.
    -2006 Pimped Grand Caravan 3.8L GT40...I'm kidding, it's stock

The wheel

Enjoy!!
    -1993 Familia GT-R, 3" stainless exaust, 0.100" oversize Supertech pistons, ported and polished head, "hemi" style combustion chamber, Supertech 1mm oversize valves, megasquirt, 880cc low-z, MSD HVC, custom SS ramhorn turbo manifold, GT3076R ar.63, 25psi, 3" SS custom exhaust. Soon to be MS3X, COP and 28psi!

Comment

Nice rebuild - 30 psi is asking for a lot. Did it hold it to redline? Also, any transmission issues?

Comment

Nice

Comment

wow man that is SO CLEAN ! nice build bro
          http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47653

my fs thread

Comment

How did 30psi felt like? You must be 323-GTR's friend right? Nice build! I want to see pics of the MX-3s

Comment

GTR.....3 spare vj23s.....je pistons......ms....no rice......
              1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
              1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
              2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
              2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
              .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Wow...gorgeous car! I like the intercooler fit and the way the piping is routed.

Not a fan of the monster tach tho lol, but to each his own.

JACK.
                -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Thanks everyone!!

I'm not a big fan of monster tach too, but the MSD killed the factory tach. It's a 51 000V Nascar official box... Also, when you go to the track for 1/4 mile runs, at 25psi you like the shift light cause the 1-2-3 gear shifting are so fast.

Actually, the thing that hold the BP to change gear at 6250rpm is the restrictive BP26 head. By swaapping a BP05 or doing a head port will raise the redline to 7000rpm without any problems. Also the add of MS is for something.

I got 4 trannys, in my last rebuild I changed the OEM one cause it was leaking very badly. GTR and GTX trannies are the same. I got no issue with the tranny, the launch control is set to 5500rpm. With the 205/50/15 rt615, I got absolutly no wheel spin at launch. The 4wd tranny, in my opinion, is the strongest one of all. If I've been 2wd, at 25psi, I would have blown many trannies. The flat shift is also a nice tranny protection when powershifting as it drop the RPM right where it supposed to be after a shift. You ain't loosing boost, but ain't hurting the syncro, neither the gears. Hard to believe, but it's like having a smooth powershifting

Few stats: stock at 9psi, the car did flat 15 sec. 20psi with FMIC and 3" exaust stock ecu, 12.8. With MS at 20 psi, 12.5. At 25psi, 12.1 and 30psi (according to Gtechpro) 11.8. Didn't had time to get the track before I blown the engine

Comment

wow nice numbers man.

whats that intercooler originally for? it seems to fit real nice.
                    -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                    http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                    http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

e-bay

Comment

Nice car man. Did you port the VJ20 to run that much boost? Was it you @ Napierville on Tuesday?
                        Last edited by 323driver; 07-30-2009, 12:47 PM.

Comment

No Vj20 in there, it's the Vj23 bone stock. And no I wasn't to Napi on last Tuesday.

Comment

I meant VJ23, did your port it? I'm having some boost issues and wondering if it's the boost controller or the wastegate. I have a protege AWD with a complete GTR swap, including engine, tranny diffs and spindles with brakes.

Comment

looks beautiful.im getting a foglight bumper fah sho.

sigpicWorlds first car with GPS was a Mazda

~~~~~~~~> Thanks again to member gooseinyou for the familia garnish <~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                              X