Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BAD STRUTS-BAD BALLJOINTS.... any link between the 2??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BAD STRUTS-BAD BALLJOINTS.... any link between the 2??

Well as you can guess i've got bad struts... all the way around... what im wondering now is... is there any connection between my balljoints going bad and my bad struts???? i just replaced my balljoint on the front drivers side. and it sounds like its going out again... it could be my axel but im just trying to double check before i replace it again.
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

what sound are you hearing and when do you hear it?
    photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

ok well lets just say its a light thunk/clunking noise... for example.... if i was on a slight hill like today and i was ****ing around giving it alittle gas making it move slightly then move back down to its original position and repeating the process cause i was trying to pinpoint the noise.
      its possible that its coming from my axel and its also possible that it is coming from my balljoint...which im hoping its not.

i guess the best way to explain it would be to say that looking from one side of the car to the other side of the car from door to door... imagine a part somewhere horizontally positioned that is moving vertically back and forth...creating a clunking noise...

.............................**********
      .............................[[[[[[[]]]]]]]
      .............................**********

from my diagram the noise seems to be originating from symbals [[[&]]]
      and moving in the directions of the astericks ****
      this is the impression i get from the drivers seat and it only seems to come from the drivers wheel area
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

well it sounds like a lwr balljoint, i found it with mine if i backed up quickly i would get the wheel hopping around a lil bit.

as for the struts wearing out you ball joints i dunno, ive had a bad alignment total my wheel bearings 3 times. so it could be possible
        No more protege, Mx-3 now...Only known BP powered Mx-3 in Nova Scotia

Comment

Sounds liike my problem, Its going into the shop next week to find the problem

Comment

When making low speed u-turns (to the left and to the right) over rough ground, i hear a sort of clunking noise (definitely not the CVs). Is this when you hear it also??
            I'm pretty sure my lower balljoints are making the noises but have yet to get them checked out. its been like that for a few months now, and the clunking is not getting louder so i am not too worried yet.
            Try some turns over rough ground and let us know what u hear.
            Ex-Officer: INTENSE Performance Mazda Club of South Florida

JDM nut & AutoXer: 1992 Blaze Red Mazda 323 S
            262,000 miles and kickin... and got some wicked new goodies recently...

BP Engine Build: Soon... Engine on the garage floor, parts on order

"Ever seen a 323 on Anthracite 17" OZ Superleggeras?!?!
            ...... and more importantly ever seen one with matching 15" Superleggeras for Autox??"

Comment

very easy to check balljoints guys, jack your car up and grab the top and bottom of the tire and "wobble" the tire. if you have any movement you have bad ball joints.if you grab the tire at the 3 oclock and 9 oclock positions you have a bad component in your tierod setup. just some information to save you 50 dollars or so....by the way fuq_A_shop, change them yourself, if you know how to make a bolonga sandwich, you can change balljoints. If you need detailed instuctions let me know.
              According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

o yeah by the way, dont quote me but your struts going bad could have put more stress on your balljoints than they could handle thus defecting them also...
                Last edited by Kelly; 01-17-2004, 07:15 PM.
                According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Could the installation of Tokicos 2 years ago have damaged the balljoints faster?
                  Ex-Officer: INTENSE Performance Mazda Club of South Florida

JDM nut & AutoXer: 1992 Blaze Red Mazda 323 S
                  262,000 miles and kickin... and got some wicked new goodies recently...

BP Engine Build: Soon... Engine on the garage floor, parts on order

"Ever seen a 323 on Anthracite 17" OZ Superleggeras?!?!
                  ...... and more importantly ever seen one with matching 15" Superleggeras for Autox??"

Comment

thats a good question, i would think that if your balljoints were already on there way to being shot, then new, more stiff struts could possibly contribute to them defecting even further, dont you notice how, when you replace parts more parts go bad. but again, a disclaimer, i use to do suspension and trannies on ford trucks, so my guesses are just that.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

that makes sence, after taking away the stock strut that absorbs most of the road impacts and replacing it with a stiffer shock, that impact could be translated down to the balljoint thus causing quicker decay of the boot/greese

and get the lowerball joint fixed asap, thats a pretty important part to holding you tire in place, if that balljoint pops out (all it needs is a good pothole) you can kiss alot of parts goodbye, like door,fender,strut,controll arm possible axel and other lovly things down there, depending on speed of coarse

in the long run it would be cheaper to fix it right away than to pay for the repair costs
                      No more protege, Mx-3 now...Only known BP powered Mx-3 in Nova Scotia

Comment

I don't know if adding stiffer struts will increase or decrease the longevity of the ball joints. I figure stiffer struts absorb the bumps a lot better than softer shocks and they don't allow your suspension to bottom out.(assuming car is at same height as original shocks).
                        I say after a certain amount of mileage, change them. I want to change the ones on my protege and I only have 108k on the car. I am frigin paranoid because during the time of driving my protege, I saw like 4 cars with busted ball joints. All within the same month.. So call me para...

By the way, how much are ball joints anyway?
                        I have to email mazdaformance.com as that is where I order most of my stuff from..
                        photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Working...
                        X