Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

36 hour deadline!!! MS1 car won't start!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

36 hour deadline!!! MS1 car won't start!

I need all the MS gurus to come together on this one. I've got about 36 hours left of available time I can work on my car and get it ready to dyno on Friday. This is the only time I will have to do this before the SCCA Championships in Nebraska the first week of September. Here is the setup and the problems.

ECU---MS1 V3.0
    Motor---1.8L BP
    Ignition---Wasted Spark '99 Protege 1.8L coils
    Trigger Wheel---36-1
    VR Sensor---3rd Gen FS-DE crank sensor

The Problem:

Erratic RPM while cranking which appears to be causing erratic timing for the coils to fire. The RPM will rapidly fluctuate between approximately 80-400rpm while cranking. The coil for cylinder 2&3 seems to be firing the correct amount of times, but the coil for 1&4 only seems to be firing every other time or 4th time from what it should be. This is all just guessing from watching my timing light pulses.

The VR sensor is about .035" from the trigger wheel so it should be getting a good signal. I'm 90% sure that it isn't fouling against the trigger wheel at any point. This is a different style trigger wheel than what I ran on my previous motor. The teeth are much wider and the gaps between the teeth much smaller than my trigger wheel on the 2.0L motor.

Old trigger wheel teeth--

New trigger wheel teeth--

Could this just need a massive adjustment on the pots associated with tuning the VR signal? I never touched them when I first got the MS running with the 2.0L motor. I'm starting to wonder if the MS is just not seeing a good signal from the VR because of this.

Start throwing out things to check. I just need everyone to dump their entire brains into this thread and list anything you can think of. I'll check everything I can tomorrow. I'm going to try and borrow an oscilloscope tomorrow morning, but I'll be damned if I know what to do with it. I am not good with electronics and I did not build or wire up the MS myself. It was built by a friend and I simply plugged it in. That's about the extent of my knowledge so if you have a complicated answer you'll need to walk me through it the best you can. My whole autocross season will be determined by what happens in the next 2 days and I'm starting to worry that I'm going to miss Nationals.
Working...
X