mazdaspeed 6 AWD system in Protege

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mazdaspeed 6 AWD system in Protege

Has anyone looked into transporting the guts of a Mazdaspeed 6 in a 4wd protege?

I hear the tranny is a G series which would make it a 22 spline count so does anyone know how different the engine and tranny mounts would be and all that junk?

everything about the MS6 is different from the much older protege design. Mounts, sizes, bolt pattern for attaching to the engine etc. At that point you might as well buy the MS6 or other AWD car.

Comment

Besides, it's got a Haldex centerdiff which is a total POS design...
      '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
      '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
      http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

And don't quote me on this, but I've read that the rear differentials are somewhat weak. What's more, a lot of these swaps involve way more than just the engine/gearbox. It may require bringing over "subsystems" like the ABS, the instrument cluster, etc.

It's better to just "GTR" an AWD Protege...or get a Speed6 and do some light mods.

Regards,
        Joel
        1988 323 GTX - Heavily modified

DJT Motorsports (Oak Park, MI) - like no other

Comment

The tranny will handle what torque our engines make ... but it's just not practical or a platform I'd choose.

Comment

hmm ya I was just wondering but I'd never attempt such a thing.

I can't even get my bp 4wd running

Comment

Working...
            X