Battery trouble!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery trouble!!

I'm looking to put an Optima yellow top battery in my car. I wanted to know if anyone has installed one in an third generation protege/protege5 and how does it fit? Did you have to modify anything for it to fit? Thanks for any info you can give me.
    [

Also, which one do you have, the regular of the sport compact one?
    [

Comment

first off, what are your reasons for wanting a yellow top? it's not designed to be a starting battery. it's designed to run things with the vehicle off, and then properly charged with the recomended charger. yes it will work fine running it off your alternator, but if you deep cycle it, the resting voltage won't be right until it's properly charged with a battery charger. unless you plan on running your stereo for very long periods of time with the car off, the yellow top is worthless. it will help a minor amount if you do stereo competiton because it's internal voltage is 13.2 volts, rather than the standard 12.8 volts. but other than that there is no reason for it. you should look into a red top optima or an excide orbital select. the excide is what rockford fosgate sells with their name on it. be sure to get the starting battery from excide if you get it. either the excide or red top is probably what you need and when you get one, be sure to get the plastic tray that goes underneath the battery so it sits high enough and the factory battery tie down can be used. otherwise you'll have to cut a piece of 3/4" wood to put under it.

Comment

The main reason I want it is that I just installed 3 120 watt amps in my car and wanted more power than what the little factory battery has.
        [

Comment

From what Blue was telling me is that it isn't necessary. I just got two 800w amps and I was going to buy an extra battery, but he said I don't need to.

EDIT: Didn't notice blue already answered the question. I should have known he would have already replied to a car audio thread before I could.
          Last edited by McCorkle; 01-17-2004, 02:39 PM.

Comment

if i remeber right, if you got the yellow top you have to cut to the tray under it to get it to fit right. im not sure if the tiedown will still work with it tho.
            like blue ledz said,i dont think you need the yellow. i got the red top, but im not pushin nuthin but a small alpine amp and all jl componets tho.

Comment

So what would you recomend. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to need a bigger battery, just don't know which one.
              [

Comment

Originally posted by customprotege
                So what would you recomend. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to need a bigger battery, just don't know which one.

you definitely need a new battery if you are rocking the stock one i killed my stock battery in just a few months with my old class A/B autotek amp that was unregulated and capable of well over 2k watts

if you don't need anything special, you can get a $40 battery from wal-mart that will work fine for you 360 watts isn't much power at all these days. if you want to spend the money, the red top from optima or excide will be a great battery to have, since they are extremely durable, have high CCA's, and a large reserve capacity.

Comment

pound for pound, the optima redtop was the BEST modification i have done for my car. if you want better than stock and a battery that will simply never let you down.. and can take a full drain up to 14 or some-odd times, the redtop is the battery for you. though could cost you up to $130 bucks, it's well worth it. i'm pushing 600 watts currently with my amps.. though nothing seems to help dimming headlights in my car and the system . honestly, if any reason to go redtop, you CAN leave your domelight on all night and come back to a car that is going to start. extreme cold and heat, this puppy handles well, on top of beign non-spillable, you can't go wrong.
                  peace

Comment

Originally posted by demoninvictus
                    pound for pound, the optima redtop was the BEST modification i have done for my car. if you want better than stock and a battery that will simply never let you down.. and can take a full drain up to 14 or some-odd times, the redtop is the battery for you. though could cost you up to $130 bucks, it's well worth it. i'm pushing 600 watts currently with my amps.. though nothing seems to help dimming headlights in my car and the system . honestly, if any reason to go redtop, you CAN leave your domelight on all night and come back to a car that is going to start. extreme cold and heat, this puppy handles well, on top of beign non-spillable, you can't go wrong.
                    peace

So demoninvictus, did you have to do ANYTHING for it to fit in your car, or did it just go right in with the factory holder and everything.
                    [

Comment

red goes right in!
                      i have it, just keep the tray under it.
                      you even keep the tiedown and sleeve over the battery if you want it.

Comment

Cool, I think I'm going to have to get the red top optima. Thanks.
                        [

Comment

first gen is a different story, the battery tray helps, but makes the battery tipsy, i just opted for some metal sleeves over the metal tie down bars & the nuts.. worked nicely.
                          peace

Comment

Working...
                          X