Origin of car parts / country of assembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Origin of car parts / country of assembly

I'm doing some research on Global Trade and the whole "Buy American" philosophy, and I was wondering if anyone knew of any sites or people to contact to get information on the origin of parts of certain cars and where certain cars are assembled. I'm looking mostly at the basic sedans - Cavalier, Neon, Focus, Protege, Civic, Corolla, Sentra, etc...

Edmunds lists where they are built but doesn't give any detailed info as to exactly how much of the car was built in a certain country, or if the car contains foreign and/or American parts...

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I can tell you that Mazda Proteges were made at Hiroshima, Japan. And Ford Focus is made in Wayne, MI USA. But as for the rest, let me see what I can do.
    Last edited by turbonium959; 01-17-2004, 02:45 PM.
    "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

Lordstown, Ohio is where Cavaliers/Sunfires were build.
      East Liberty, Ohio is where Honda Civics are made.
      Honda Accord has been build in Marysvile, OH for more then 20 years now.
      Belvidere, IL is where Dodge Neons are build.
      Fremont, CA is where Toyota Corolla is made.
      Lastly, Nissan Sentra is build in Aguascalientes, Mexico. But before it was used to be build in Smyrna, MS. Nissan has makes all the cars sold in the US, Mississippi to be exact.

Hope this helps. I used www.google.com to search.
      Last edited by turbonium959; 01-17-2004, 05:39 PM.
      "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

You can also find out build information on the window sticker, including percentages of parts made in certain countries. I'm not sure if that info is available online, but if not, just go around to car dealers with a notebook & copy it off the sticker.
        ~Mark.
        2002 Protege DX 5 speed, "Kenmore White," well-loved and a little over half paid-for

Comment

The VIN also contains the country where final assembly of the vehicle took place. You could search the net for a full list, but here's a partial list from memory (more than one country could be used for some). First position on VIN indicates country:

1, 4 or 5 - USA
          2 - Canada
          3 - Mexico
          6 - Australia (not sure about this one)
          9 - Brazil
          J - Japan
          K - Korea
          M - Thailand
          S - U.K.
          W - Germany
          Y - France or Sweden
          Try pie. Try.