Pedal Install Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pedal Install Help

Anybody install any pedals on their car that weren't clipped on in the back? I just received my Sparco Racer pedals and you have to mount them by drilling. I tried to drill, but the piece was just too thick to penetrate. Any help is appreciated as this is really pissing me off.

I also got Sparco pedals.....from Sounddomain...I didn't have a drill so my friend did it. He just took the stock rubber covering off and drilled through two times...didn't seem to have any problem with the thickness. I ended up taking them off though because the brake had to be put on crooked and the gas pedal didn't cover the whole plastic piece. Maybe you need a better drill?

Comment

I am meeting with a guy somewhat soon who has some much stronger bits. Hopefully that will work, and I won't have the same problems you do. Other than the gas pedal not covering the entire plastic piece, did you have problems mounting it (gas pedal)? We were having a hard time bolting it on because there were too many things blocking it.

Comment

I hoped no one would ever ask. haha, its a such a pain... learned it the hard way. For frickin pedals its too much work. Buy clip-ons!!

Anyway, start with the smallest bit possible and work up. Its really the only way and doesn't take long. For the gas, the plastic is most likely epoxied on there but it does actually come off. The oem peal is longer and different shaped than the grips i have so i went to my roomates house and used his dads grinder and shaped it from there. **Disclaimer: if you do this take masking tape to all the carpet in that area and over any trim because you will have metal sparks flying everywhere and it does melt to the carpet . and where safety goggles.**

Also the pedal is connected to the arm differently, like with a rod so position the pedal in such a way that when you drill through you aren't drilling through a weld and far enough away from the rod so as to not interfere with the mounting nuts.
        95 ES
        05 S60R

Comment

Best advice yet. Thank you.

Comment

You could go that route - I just went out and bought a better drill bit (tip is coated with something...damned if I can remember with what though...).

Cordless drill, and Bob's your uncle.

dr_"best $3 I spent"_sarcasm.
            "I haven't seen a beatin' like that since somebody stuck a banana in my pants and turned a monkey loose."

Comment

Well I appreciate all the help. I finally got the pedals mounted.

Comment

Working...
              X