New Stereo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Stereo

Ok, I got a few questions, I am getting a Alpine CDM-9801 HU, all the specs are here...

Yes I am sure I want alpine, this is a tempory HU, just need a quick fix, stock won't play burned CDs

1.) Will it blow my factory speakers?
    2.) How do I open my dash to install it?
    3.) I already blew my rear drivers side speaker, should I take that speaker out, or will it reroute to much power and ansewer question 1?
    4.) Why am I such a newb to stereos?
    5.) Will that stereo thump harder than stock?

1) only you can blow your speakers. i over power everything i use and the only time i blow anything are subs when i try to. if you are running stock speakers i highly advise changing out to aftermarket ones. the stock one are paper cones without real tweeters.

2) you've got a '99, so the stock CD player should be a single DIN. do you have a tape player or a pocket below the stock CD player? to remove the stock HU you either need to make some removal tools out of a metal coat hanger, or buy a set of ford radio removal tools for a couple bucks. on the left and right side there are is a small piece that pulls up to reveal 2 holes. you push the coat hanger or removal tool into the holes which releases the metal pieces holding the HU in. then it just pulls out. there will be 2 white harnesses, a black wire for the ground, and the antenea that you have to unplug. if you have the tape deck you have to unplug that too.

3) you should really upgrade speakers, if you can afford it. if not, unplug the blown speaker. no need to take it out. just unplug it from inside the trunk. no the other speakers will not get more power because it's blown or unplugged.

4) that's on you

5) if you want "thump" get a sub. regular speakers are not supposed to be driven into the bass region of the sound spectrum. while yes the stock speakers will get louder with the new HU, and there will probably be a little more bass from them, you are also more likely to blow them.

Comment

So unless I intentionally try to max em out, they prolly won't blow, good. I am getting competition pioneer speakers next payday. Ohh another question, can we actually put speakers in those speaker spots on our back doors, I never checked to see if those were real or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Netsyphen
        So unless I intentionally try to max em out, they prolly won't blow, good. I am getting competition pioneer speakers next payday. Ohh another question, can we actually put speakers in those speaker spots on our back doors, I never checked to see if those were real or not.

lol, competition pioneers, now that's comedy i've never liked the sound of pioneer speakers. and i worked at best buy for a while and picked them up for under half price. i was not happy at all. but if you like them, that's what counts. go around to local shops and listen to different brands of speakers and make a decision based on that, and not the name. i would highly suggest just getting a good set of components up front and not worry about rear speakers.

yes you can fit speakers in the rear doors. i have 6.5" components back there, but they aren't hooked up right now. you have to run the speaker wires into the door, though.

Comment

ok

Ok, cool, I need to get 4 6.5s then, and some wiring. I've listened to pioneer speakers powered by an alpine system, and it sounded good, at least I liked it, thats what metters right

Comment

Ok, cool, I need to get 4 6.5s then, and some wiring. I've listened to pioneer speakers powered by an alpine system, and it sounded good, at least I liked it, thats what metters right

you've got a '99. your front speakers are 6x8 and your rear deck speakers are 6x9. putting speakers in the rear doors is not worth the effort. just replace your front speakers with some good ones, and if you replace your rear speakers, no need to get over the lowest line. and if you like the sound, get them

Comment

I used to have Alpine Type S speakers. For the money I paid, they were pretty good. Right now you can get two sets for about $100 (shipping not included) on eBay. Check them out: Alpine SPS-170A

Comment

really? I always thought I had 6.5" in the front, I never opened em tho, you prolly know better than I do

Comment

really? I always thought I had 6.5" in the front, I never opened em tho, you prolly know better than I do
                  oh no, I had no idea what type of speakers you have. I wrote my reply based on you saying you need 6.5" speakers. if blue says that you have 6x8 and your rear deck speakers are 6x9, then that's what you need. but still, look at the Alpine Type S speakers. Take a listen if you can, and if the price is right for you - take 'em. especially the 6x9 speakers... they'll give you some nice bass. I still have mine.

Comment

you've got a '99 LX listed in your profile. i've got a '99 LX. i know that car inside and out

here's the sticky thread with the info on the different gen pro's.

if you want to put 5.25" components in your front doors, i'll be making some adapter plates this weekend. check here. PM me if you are interested.
                    Last edited by blue LEDz; 01-19-2004, 05:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X