How the hell??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How the hell??

TRUCKEE, California (Sept. 3) - Ron Hunt's friends and family have been calling him the ``Miracle Man'' ever since an 18-inch-long drill bit poked through his eye and out the back of his skull.

``It didn't seem possible for him to be alive, seeing him with a drill bit through his head,'' his nephew Ben Hunt said.

The construction worker from Truckee, California, lost an eye but survived the freak accident Aug. 15 with no brain damage after falling from a ladder and onto the drill.

The 1.5-inch diameter chip auger drill bit was still in his head when his brother, Chris Hunt, and nephew, Ben, met him in a hospital emergency room in Reno, Nevada.

``The nurses braced us for it before we saw him,'' Ben Hunt told the Sierra Sun newspaper of Truckee. ``It didn't seem real - it seemed like a movie. I wasn't sure what to feel.''

Doctors explained that the drill bit pushed his brain aside rather than pushing into it, which likely would have caused serious brain damage or death, Ben Hunt said.

While drilling above his head on Aug. 15, the six-foot ladder Ron Hunt was standing on started to wobble so he tossed the drill aside - as construction workers are trained to do. He then fell off the ladder face-first and onto the drill.

``By the time I was falling, and I let the drill go down, I was already on top of it,'' Ron Hunt told ABC's ``Good Morning America'' TV show on Tuesday.

``I ran my hands up the drill bit, up to my eye, and put my other hand in the back of my head and felt it coming through the back of my head,'' he said. ``And that's where pretty much the shock set in.''

He was taken by helicopter to Washoe Medical Center in Reno. After weighing their options, doctors essentially unscrewed the bit to remove it.

``We would have cut it off, but after a few minutes of drilling, we noticed that it was loose. And so we just put down our blade and twisted the bit,'' said Dr. Paul Ludlow, the surgeon who performed the operation.

His nephew thinks he'll be able to laugh about it some day.

``It's just going to be one of those stories,'' Ben Hunt told the Sierra Sun. ``He'll joke around with his glass eye and pop it out.''

09/02/03 21:23 EDT

I heard the same thing happen to a guy but it was rebar he fell onto, it was on ripley's. It was a miracle though, the guy didn't lose vision in his eye!
    Dan
    dreesemonkey

Comment

i was watching this program on TLC one time and this dude was on his ladder working on the gutter. Somehow he fell down onto this bush and this huge stem piece went straight into his rectum. He had a ripped bladder and all that crap. They had to open up his stomach and cut some pieces off before they could pull it out his ass. the thing went all the way up to his ribs!
      '93 protege DX 5 spd.

yo mammy

Comment

Lesson of the day: If you don't want your face or ass impaled by something, don't climb on ladders.
        Dan
        dreesemonkey

Comment

Ever hear of Phineas Gage? (sP?) The guy with a railroad spike that went through his brain? He lived, but became a total asshole afterwards.
          2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Originally posted by Tai Mai Shu
            i was watching this program on TLC one time and this dude was on his ladder working on the gutter. Somehow he fell down onto this bush and this huge stem piece went straight into his rectum. He had a ripped bladder and all that crap. They had to open up his stomach and cut some pieces off before they could pull it out his ass. the thing went all the way up to his ribs!
            Well that just sucks lol

Comment

i did that last week and nobody found out?

oh- haha its because they didnt switch to the sniper rifle, morons

Comment

Working...
              X