how to merge two pictures into one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to merge two pictures into one?

can someone tell me the steps to merge two pictures into on, more or less cut and paste, using photoshop 7
    According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Are you talking about adding a person or a car into a picture that wasn't there, or something like that?

Comment

you got it
      According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

OK, I'll do my best. This is a basic method, talk to GotBoost or someone else for a more refined version.

Step 1: open both pictures in photoshop. For the demonstration we will be putting a girl in a bikini next to my car.

It usually helps to drag the window around the person out a little bit so there's a border. Then you can select outside the actual picture if you need to.
        Last edited by jnorion; 01-19-2004, 06:40 PM. Reason: Server problems -- moved the pictures

Comment

Step 2: Use the polygonal lasso tool (circled in red) to outline around the person. Once she's selected, click copy and then paste. This creates a new layer with just her in it. Click the little eye icon next to the background layer to hide it, and you'll have just the girl visible.

Go through and select the background patches between her arm and body, and her hair and face, and delete them from the layer.
          Last edited by jnorion; 01-19-2004, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Step 3: With the girl layer selected, Select All and then copy. Move to the picture of the car, and paste. Again, this will create a new layer that's just the girl. It helps at this point to name the layer... right click on it, choose layer properties, and name it something descriptive, like "Girl".

Last edited by jnorion; 01-19-2004, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Step 4: In the Edit menu, select Transform > Scale. Grab a corner box and drag it in toward the center. Hold down shift while you're dragging it so it doesn't distort.

Once you get it the size you want it, hit enter. Don't worry about getting it perfect, you can fine tune it later.
              Last edited by jnorion; 01-19-2004, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Step 5: Use the Move tool (circled in red) to move her into roughly the place you want her on the picture. Resize again so it looks right. Since her bottom half is cut off, I'm going to put her behind the car.

Last edited by jnorion; 01-19-2004, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Step 6: To put the girl behind the car, hide the girl layer temporarily (click the eye icon next to it). Make sure you have the background layer selected, and select an area of the car that will be in front of her. You can do the whole car if you want, but it's easier this way.

Last edited by jnorion; 01-19-2004, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Step 7: Copy and paste this section to create new layer. Drag the layer up until it's above the girl layer. Then click the eye again to show the girl, and she appears to be behind the car.

Last edited by jnorion; 01-19-2004, 06:57 PM.

Comment

From there it's just a matter of fine-tuning. I turned her around because the highlights from the sun were on her shoulders. Keep her layer selected and adjust the brightness and contrast (Image > Adjustments > Brightness/Contrast) to make her blend more. Also, zoom in on her and with her layer selected, use the eraser to get rid of any background stuff that may be attached to her from the original picture. It makes it look a lot cleaner and less pasted.

Here's my final version:
                      Last edited by jnorion; 01-19-2004, 06:59 PM.

Comment

nevermind i got it...thanks.
                        Last edited by Kelly; 01-19-2004, 02:52 PM.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by fuq_A_vtec
                          after i shave everything around the girl, if i right click and select all, i dont get the option to copy.
                          Right click on the layer in the layer pane itself. Actually right click on the preview pic of the layer in the layer pane, right clicking on the name of the layer gives you different options.

Good writeup, jnorion
                          Dan
                          dreesemonkey

Comment

thanks alot, that really helped.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

No problem, glad to help.

Comment

Working...
                              X