clear tail lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clear tail lights

i was wondering if the altezza taillights for a 98 protege would fit on my 97 protege?
    someone please let me know

Yes, if they were made it would. But make sure they're not for a 99+. Some places say 98 but aren't really 98s. Let me see a link...I'd like to see them if they do exist but I have yet to come across a pair.

<marquee>'97 Tan LX 5-speed-Clear corners, "poor mans" grill, 15in. Gunmetal/Polished Konig Holes covered with Dunlop GT Qualifiers, B&M short shifter installed and lovin it, custom leather black leather boot, MazdaSpeed Shift knob, Eibach Pro-Kit, Custom cold air intake Head Unit-Pioneer DEH-3500MP Speakers-Sony Xplod XS-V1621(3-way)6.5s(Front Doors) Infinity 652i(2-way)6.5s(Rear Doors) Pioneer TS-A6990R(5-way)6x9s(Rear Deck) Amps-Kenwood KAC-7201/Pioneer GM-X352 Subs-2-JL 12 W3s in Dual box, redone LED 3rd brake light(doesn't look like crap anymore). More I.C.E. on the way.</marquee>
    Formerly '90 White Miata w/ 2 8" Laser Blue stripes
    I hate the short nose crankshaft. It took my car away from me.

Comment

Comment

Dang people don't know their own products. That's for a 3rd gen. Sorry they got your hopes up, they won't fit.

<marquee>'97 Tan LX 5-speed-Clear corners, "poor mans" grill, 15in. Gunmetal/Polished Konig Holes covered with Dunlop GT Qualifiers, B&M short shifter installed and lovin it, custom leather black leather boot, MazdaSpeed Shift knob, Eibach Pro-Kit, Custom cold air intake Head Unit-Pioneer DEH-3500MP Speakers-Sony Xplod XS-V1621(3-way)6.5s(Front Doors) Infinity 652i(2-way)6.5s(Rear Doors) Pioneer TS-A6990R(5-way)6x9s(Rear Deck) Amps-Kenwood KAC-7201/Pioneer GM-X352 Subs-2-JL 12 W3s in Dual box, redone LED 3rd brake light(doesn't look like crap anymore). More I.C.E. on the way.</marquee>

Comment

Let me explain this 98 Altezza phenomenon. In the United States 3rd gen Protege came out in 99. Where as the rest of the world, 323/Familia came out in 98. Thats why APC, being dumb enough as they are, are labeling these for Proteges of 98+ so they can sell these all over the world. Hope this helps.
          "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

I just had a revelation! lol I think the reason they're not making clear lenses (altezzas or whatever) for the 2nd gen is because of the reflector. 3rd gens don't have a reflector on the trunk lid... Clear taillights won't match and will probably look ugly. Does anyone else think so?

Comment

Not if you paint the reflector to match the body But like an eclipse or the accord coupes with them I think they'll look like crap.
              Would they make it with the reverse light in it and paint the whole thing or leave the reverse light out and paint everything but the reverse lights.
              I've seen some cars with the orange painted red. I think I've seen something about this but anybody know how to do it?

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder
                I just had a revelation! lol I think the reason they're not making clear lenses (altezzas or whatever) for the 2nd gen is because of the reflector. 3rd gens don't have a reflector on the trunk lid... Clear taillights won't match and will probably look ugly. Does anyone else think so?
                I am not sure at what you are saying, and how does the reflector ties into everything. On our cars the reflector is on the rear bumper, so if one was to build Altezza/Clear Tail Lights for our cars, they would not have to worry about DOT regulations, as long as the colors are correct. I think that some of 3rd gen Altezza look bad because of that reflector, it just does not go with the flow. As for our cars, I think there is too much material/size to work with, so the overall cost of the final product might be too high. For example, I do not wish to pay $250 for JDM Rear Tails, because I will only get a marginal exterior upgrade (most people will not even know the difference not care about it), and for the same money, I would rather build a custom cat-back exhaust. But, that's my thought.

Comment

Turbonium
                  I think what mazda mani is talking about is the trunk garnish piece. That is a HUGE pice and it would liekly look ugly. All my buddy's with 95-99 eclipses or 88-92 Civcs keep their factory part as the altezza center section looks gay!
                  On a side note, i may have tracked down the infamouse purple 95/6 with the all clear tails! Ill keep you posted!

CLICK HERE FOR PICS
                  1.8L 97 LX (CDN)
                  Erebuni kit, JDM heads/corners/tails/hood scoop, 17" BSA 259 w/ Khumo Ecstas, KYB GR2 struts, Apex springs, Ractive X-drilled/slotted rotors, KVR C/F pads, EssentialSpeed CAI, Essentialspeed custom cat-back (y-piped with dual Vibrant mufflers), Clutch Masters clutch, touring wing, Vibrant F/R strut bar, AWR 21.5mm rear sway bar, indiglo gauges, Sparco wheel/shift knob, custom interior, TomMotorsports 'BRIDE' seats, Innovatek DVD-0181 DVD/CD/MP3/etc player, Innovatek IN-720 7" indash LCD, 'MZDASPD' plates

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder
                    the red reflector is actually on the side of the rear bumpers. they make clear bumper lights for this part. so altezzas are possible. the newer hyundai tiburon's have a clear lens replacement that makes the oem lights look aftermarket. all that is changed is the outer lens, maybe we should look into something like this.
                    Almost there

jdm tails... check
                    jdm bumper... check
                    ms lip... check
                    ms grill... check
                    ms sideskirts... check
                    ms rear skirts... check
                    ms spoiler... check
                    ms struts... check

Still trying for a bp swap..:
                    Fidanzda 8lb flywheel, ACT HD00, UR Crank Pulley, UR Adj. Cam-Gears, Exh-Intake CamShaft Swap, MS Engine Mounts, Custom CAI, PaceSetter Header, 2.25" in/out-let Magnaflow Cat, 2.25" Mandrel-Bent Exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by K Dawg ONE
                      On a side note, i may have tracked down the infamouse purple 95/6 with the all clear tails! Ill keep you posted!

That's kool. If I had a lens I could make some. I've tried to make one out of lexan and plexiglass but I haven't come up with anything I like yet. If it doesn't look 100% professional than I'm not gonna put it on.
                      I'm confused. I thought the reflector is the same thing just under different names? The reflector and rear garnish are 2 different things?
                      The reflectors are in the rear bumper(rear corner lights) and the rear garnish is where the reverse lights are? Am I correct now?

Comment

the clear tails looked very nice on that purple car.. i remember someone claiming they found a guy in canada that could get those for use but it was rediculously expensive
                        In the Garage
                        Black 93 MX-3 GS
                        Bp powered
                        GTR Drive Train

The ProjectMx build thread
                        MyCardomain[/SIZE]

"Shut up, at least the bunnies are on fire!"

Comment

Originally posted by K Dawg ONE
                          Turbonium
                          I think what mazda mani is talking about is the trunk garnish piece. That is a HUGE pice and it would liekly look ugly. All my buddy's with 95-99 eclipses or 88-92 Civcs keep their factory part as the altezza center section looks gay!
                          It's not MazdaMania, it's Intruder. And yeah, that's what I was talking about - the trunk garnish piece. Sorry for the confusion.

Comment

If some one took the tail lights and rear garnish off of this car (protegetech.org), and tried to make it into Altezza or whatnot, it would look good enough. The black part can be left alone, or painted to match the car's color, but definately not chrome. Then it turns into ugly rice.

Comment

No doubt about it - if the garnish is painted the "altezzas" may look nice. I did not take that into account...

But anyway, see.. his garnish is different. Or is it?

Last edited by Intruder; 01-23-2004, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X