Project Flat-Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project Flat-Out

So. I got me a 323 finally. it's not the greatest of em, but it'll do.

Picked it up in Albany this morning. Drove it home. It mechanically seems awesome. Just isn't gonna win any beauty pageants. Oh well. It's a process. And now it's one I can drive, and work on at the same time!

Details:
    $600
    1990 323 5spd, sohc..
    LX cluster was installed already. Temp gauge doesnt seem to work. Front drivers headlight was out... No reverse lights. Drivers auto-belt is fubar... it's held in by a screw... Passenger side is the same. Drivers seat is torn up, other seats are in acceptable condition. Paint is ok. I kinda like the grey.. Was hoping for white, but i can make this work too. A few scratches/dents and such.. luckily the attempt to repair with paint didn't turn out too bad from previous owner. They aren't an eye soar. Drivers side wing window was knocked out from scumbag prior to previous owner. Heater works, stereo works... but isn't secured down. No trunk floor cover... Or spare, but the wood slab is there i think is cool.

Anyway, here are some pics..

And whats this piece? it's loose...

Oh.. and i just moved it into the garage after taking pics.. and suddenly the motor sounds like hell... Not nocking, just rough... and when i shut it off, it whines down like a turbine or fan... Idea's?

Btw, i'll get to real work on it likely this weekend and get some cool stuff on it
    1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
    Featured in Rally Gearbox Magazine 3/1/11
    "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

Sub'd.

Might want to take the face plate off the radio before someone steals it
    1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
    1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
    2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
    2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
    .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

How many miles does it have on it?
      1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
      1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
      2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
      1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Comment

That loose wire is either for the temp gauge in the dash, or it's a ground that grounds on the head.

Comment

Originally posted by 1st Gen View Post
          How many miles does it have on it?
          Really? Is that serious? Do you not see the pictures? lol

BTW, looks pretty clean bro. What are the plans?

Comment

My bad, that plug IS for the temp gauge sending unit. You're pretty much pointing to it with the plug. :p

Comment

Looks like a solid car. Nothing a trip to the pick-a-part would not fix.
              Dominic Toretto rocks a MaZda and his cell phone number starts in "(323)"

My Work Log:http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46003

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Turpro View Post
                Sub'd.

Might want to take the face plate off the radio before someone steals it
                dude! that is an old school pull out. hellooooooo 1992!

NEUMAN

Comment

I am so old that I remember my Pioneer pull out tape deck had a "Pioneer" soft case, and you were a considered a pimp when you walked around the mall rockin' the "Pioneer purse". Note to young people: Flaunting technolgy makes you look like a D-bag to your future selfs. You have been warned. LOL
                  Dominic Toretto rocks a MaZda and his cell phone number starts in "(323)"

My Work Log:http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46003

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pox View Post
                    Really? Is that serious? Do you not see the pictures? lol

BTW, looks pretty clean bro. What are the plans?
                    I was serious. That's what I get for walking away from a thread and then coming back to post. I forgot what the hell I saw and embarrassed myself. So what? Not the first time, probably won't be the last.
                    Sorry Jace. Glad you found your car, and for a good price.
                    Last edited by 1st Gen; 10-13-2009, 10:22 PM.
                    1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
                    1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
                    2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
                    1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Comment

Yay!! You've got your 323!! Good job, dude!
                      -'91 Festiva L
                      -'91 Pro AWD New Project

Comment

Ok... So... plans... ya. i got plans

swapping interior to mx3
                        some suspension, a few nice things for the interior just to start.

now that i have a car i have really mod.. i'll do a lil bit at a time, and still be able to drive..

the overall goal... wanna have something i can RallyX and still drive around on daily. I'm gonna try and sell the prizm now that my current debt on it has gone down quite a bit.. hopefully get the stage car by next season..

I've got a bunch of stuff that's gonna happen in the next week. and you guys will more than approve. I'm super duper excited!

motor swap... not in the near future. a bp EVENTUALLY. but that's likely the last thing i'll do. i still have the gtx motor to build up. :evil laugh:

oh, and i thought that wire was the temp.. realy figured so.. thanks for verifying.. i just started it up, and it didn't make any noise this time.. :shrug: we'll see what happens. i wanna get someone to really look at it still.

all in all, i'm pleased with it. it needs some work, but it's nothing i won't sacrifice. MY project! lol
                        1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
                        "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

Comment

nice score jason i have full GTX interior with your name on it!

sigpicWorlds first car with GPS was a Mazda

~~~~~~~~> Thanks again to member gooseinyou for the familia garnish <~~~~~~~~

Comment

lol... we'll see.

So... i couldn't just sit still with this thing finally here. Had to start gettin to work. Here is some test fitting

Oh... btw... those are glass

But than... i was ever happier than a lil gitty schoolgirl when i discovered a special box from the blessed mailman today... VOILA!

gap is an easy fix..
                            mmmmmmmmmm.................... tasty

Comment

Holler at me if you need a hand wrenching. Good to see you finally got a 323!

NW MAZDAS

Comment

Working...
                              X