Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

93 tranny to 95 protege?

hi,
    i'm wondering if a 5spd tranny from a 1993 protege will fit into my 1995 protege? will it physically bolt up? and will the clutches and flywheels interchange within the 1.8L gen2 engine and the 1.8L gen1 protege tranny. this is because i'm going to put in the 1.8L engine into my protege, the 1.5L engine is going to be scraped.
    thanks for any help.
    Almost there

jdm tails... check
    jdm bumper... check
    ms lip... check
    ms grill... check
    ms sideskirts... check
    ms rear skirts... check
    ms spoiler... check
    ms struts... check

Still trying for a bp swap..:
    Fidanzda 8lb flywheel, ACT HD00, UR Crank Pulley, UR Adj. Cam-Gears, Exh-Intake CamShaft Swap, MS Engine Mounts, Custom CAI, PaceSetter Header, 2.25" in/out-let Magnaflow Cat, 2.25" Mandrel-Bent Exhaust.

the speedo sensor isn't the problem. i went to the dealership and had some parts diagrams printed for the 94 LX and the 95 ES G-series transmissions. from those printouts the 94 LX transmission seems to be missing the mounting holes for the engine mount above the transmission on the 2nd gen protege. unless you're willing to custom fab a new mounting bracket, you'll be one less motor mount if you decide to put in the first gen transmission.

Comment

I don't see why a 94LX would not have those mounts.
      Adams 91 did. and the GTR did.
      photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

first off, i having a hard time relying on "theman"'s answers to this forum. and second, "just go find a 5spd tranny from a 95es" isn't an answer to the question at hand. why do you always say stuff like that? if you don't know then don't bother helping.
        and as for pseudor and bruce, don't know who to believe...lol. two different arguments.
        thanks anyway
        Almost there

jdm tails... check
        jdm bumper... check
        ms lip... check
        ms grill... check
        ms sideskirts... check
        ms rear skirts... check
        ms spoiler... check
        ms struts... check

Still trying for a bp swap..:
        Fidanzda 8lb flywheel, ACT HD00, UR Crank Pulley, UR Adj. Cam-Gears, Exh-Intake CamShaft Swap, MS Engine Mounts, Custom CAI, PaceSetter Header, 2.25" in/out-let Magnaflow Cat, 2.25" Mandrel-Bent Exhaust.

Comment

I don't have your answer.
          But despite TheMan's poor bedside manner, he has a point.
          A 95 tranny works. The 93 is a maybe/possible complications...if I was out shopping for a tranny, it just makes sense to be looking for what I know will work versus what might work.
          Unless you've already got the 93 tranny or it's too good of a deal to pass up...but you never mentioned that.

Comment

well, unfortunately i didn't have a first gen to look at, but i can tell you that the gtr had mounting bolts imbedded into the tranny itself, and the mounting bracket that runs through the motor mount and bolts up to the transmission is different. yet, the mount attached to the body is the same on the gtr, 1.5L f-series auto, and 1.8L g-series manual. the 94LX diagram didn't show the mounting bracket in the diagram so i just assumed it wasn't there, but since bruce said he saw it on the 91, i won't doubt him. you just need to make sure you get the mount and bracket above the transmission. you should be able to swap out the speedometer and hook up the reverse-light sensor. having said that, the BIG problem is now the rear mount. the rear mount on the second gen bolts up from the transmission to the suspension member (the horizontal one with the steering rack), whereas the rear mount on the gtr bolts up from the transmisison to the crossmember. i don't know if it's the same on the first gen proteges. not only that, but you don't know if the 2nd gen shifter rod will work on the 1st gen transmission. just something for you to think about.... this would be easier if i had pictures....

Comment

Originally posted by PseudoR
              well, unfortunately i didn't have a first gen to look at, but i can tell you that the gtr had mounting bolts imbedded into the tranny itself, and the mounting bracket that runs through the motor mount and bolts up to the transmission is different. yet, the mount attached to the body is the same on the gtr, 1.5L f-series auto, and 1.8L g-series manual. the 94LX diagram didn't show the mounting bracket in the diagram so i just assumed it wasn't there, but since bruce said he saw it on the 91, i won't doubt him. you just need to make sure you get the mount and bracket above the transmission. you should be able to swap out the speedometer and hook up the reverse-light sensor. having said that, the BIG problem is now the rear mount. the rear mount on the second gen bolts up from the transmission to the suspension member (the horizontal one with the steering rack), whereas the rear mount on the gtr bolts up from the transmisison to the crossmember. i don't know if it's the same on the first gen proteges. not only that, but you don't know if the 2nd gen shifter rod will work on the 1st gen transmission. just something for you to think about.... this would be easier if i had pictures....
              Psuedo is right the G on the 1st gens and the 2nd gens use a different mount. I was thinking it wasn't different, but after remebering Adam's car, his was a little different. (I may try and work on collecting a few of these).
              I think swaping the spedo sensor from the 2ndG tranny to the 1stG tranny will be nothing that hard to do.

Anyhow Psuedo...
              with the 2nd gen tranny that you have ... the shifter will line up and the brace for the rear mount will attach to the tranny of the 2nd gen tranny.
              However:
              DO NOT USE the GTR crossmemeber on your 2nd gen chassis. Use the original crossmember from your 1.5L.
              also don't reuse your 1.5L front engine mount. buy a new one as the old one is guaranteed to be worn. Better yet, get the Mazdaspeed mounts.

Also the passenger engine mount is gauranteed to be broken also...
              I still have to change mine.
              That solves your problem.

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by 95pro
                first off, i having a hard time relying on "theman"'s answers to this forum. and second, "just go find a 5spd tranny from a 95es" isn't an answer to the question at hand. why do you always say stuff like that? if you don't know then don't bother helping.
                and as for pseudor and bruce, don't know who to believe...lol. two different arguments.
                thanks anyway
                Take it easy bro....
                He is telling you to get a 95 tranny because it will be the most straight forward swap...
                He does know that they are hard to find.

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

actually, i already have the shifter assembly and linkage rod hooked up; i took all that off the 95ES, so everything is basically bolted up and in place. thinking about it, i think there shouldn't be a problem with the 2nd gen linkage rod on a first gen transmission. mx-3's do the bpt swap with a first gen LX tranny and they don't need to change it. as long as you have the 95ES linkage rod, it'll work... good luck finding that... it'll be even harder to find that than the transmission. i couldn't buy it at the dealership, and i don't think you can use a f-series linkage rod with a g-series tranny. the parts guy in the dealership said they were different. didn't show me any evidence though.

the rear and driverside mounts and brackets are the same on all 2nd gen's regardless of the transmission type. the mount on the passenger side along with the L-shaped bracket is also the same on all 2nd gens; but the bracket that is bolted to the engine with the mounting bolts is different btwn the 1.5L and 1.8L. i just used the bpt one and that worked. the front mount and bracket is the main big thing that differs btwn the engines and trannies.

not to worry, i've gutted and filled my mounts with polyurethane so they won't be breaking anytime soon (at all). changing the rear mount was a real PITA, though. whatever you do, DON'T BREAK IT. you need to drop the suspension member and pry enough room in order to get enough room to get a rachet in... and that was with the engine OUT. this is probably the least-accessably designed component i've seen yet. and i agree that the passengerside mount is the ****tiest mount ever (but i think i've fixed it).

i've already bolted up the crossmember. not to mention it's the same on all 2nd gen's since i have both.

but that still doesn't solve the problem of whether or not you can bolt the first gen tranny to the rear mount on the 2nd gen. if you can, then that solves a lot of problems. anyone know?

Comment

do you have any pics of the 1.5 shift linkage and the 1.8 shift linkage side by side...
                    I really don't think there are any differences.
                    I will soon find out about the G tranny.. I am getting one soon for my 323.

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

nope sorry, i started with a 1.5L auto... so i only have the 95ES shift link. but they could be very similar.

Originally posted by bruce95fmla
                      do you have any pics of the 1.5 shift linkage and the 1.8 shift linkage side by side...
                      I really don't think there are any differences.
                      I will soon find out about the G tranny.. I am getting one soon for my 323.

Comment

Originally posted by PseudoR
                        nope sorry, i started with a 1.5L auto... so i only have the 95ES shift link. but they could be very similar.
                        ahhh ok ...
                        pm Wil .. groharlem..
                        and get the shifter stabelizer bushings for 21 bucks.
                        they work great and get rid of that squishy ruber crap on the bottom of the shift linkage, that connects to the transmission.
                        Bruce

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Working...
                        X