Whats the deal with the 4 wire TPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats the deal with the 4 wire TPS

So i have read lots about people splicing in a 4 wire tps sensor. But not sure why and what benefits from this. what is the extra wire for compared to the 3 wire TPS

The 3-wire tps is basically an on/off switch. With the 4-wire, it changes voltage/resistance depending on what position it's in (potentiometer). Obviously, the ecu has to know what to do with this.

--Ferdi
    Last edited by ftjandra; 10-18-2009, 01:29 PM.
    If you can't differentiate between brake and break, you should go back to school
    -----
    Miscellaneous Pics of Turbo Protege Build
    Big Front Brake Install using Wilwood Calipers
    Factory Service Manuals and Familia Brochures - PDF

Comment

At least if you have an Apexi which is my case, it is very easy to trim for throttle settings be it LOW or HIGH.

Lets say we want the piggy back to tune correct the AFM readings for more fuel when having the throttle fully open or 60% or more. The Apexi has two correction setting maps, Low anf High so it will jump in the high if the signal of the throttle is variable as is in the case of a 4 wire TB.

So the option os having a Low setting is as follows, so if you are going down on revolutions or are off the pedal it is good the Apexi reads your foot is off the throttle or lets say only at 10% or less. Once it sees from the TB it is at 10 or less then it will jump to the LOW correction map settings. This is very useful so it gives you a much better off the throttle idle.

You ask what is the deal with the potentiometer 4 wire tps, so there is the response at least for my situation, it is very very practical. Right now I have 3 wire tps and only have one correction map. The cool thing is I can even see in percentage the throttle position so it also helps me to set it up correctly.

Comment

DAM!!! ive been lookin for answers on this all along and now found it hurrrrrrrray!! good find folks!!
        Anyone knows what 9K rpm feels like? I do

93 Mercury Tracer SW
        99 Honda Accord 4DR 'VIP' status
        01 Honda S2000 Future Boost

Comment

There is anothe thread with a similar subject in which it was covered more in depth.

Comment

yea after this one i had found lots of other ones with great info as well. great find for sure!!!
            Anyone knows what 9K rpm feels like? I do

93 Mercury Tracer SW
            99 Honda Accord 4DR 'VIP' status
            01 Honda S2000 Future Boost

Comment

Working...
            X