NASCAR's new point system?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NASCAR's new point system?!?

Not that care much about NASCAR, but tell me if this makes sense to you.
    NASCAR is changing their point system, where for the last ten races in the season, the top ten drivers in the points will start with a certain amount of points, and who ever gets most points in the last ten races, wins the championship. I think thats total bullsh*t. Many people complained last year, because the last year's champion Matt Kenseth won by being consistent. He only won a single race entire year, but won the championship none the less. So who the f*ck cares if he only won once. In any type of sport, being consistent will always win you a championship. I just think this idea is total bullsh*t, because at the end of the year there are teams that always do better because they learned from their mistakes earlier on in the season. So why should they be rewarded for their mistakes??? Anyhow, what are your thoughts? Does it makes sense to you???
    "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

I don't follow NASCAR either, but I hate this idea.

They're just mad because one of the big name drivers didn't win, it's a G.D. conspiracy I tell you!
    Dan
    dreesemonkey

Comment

I don't like it, but I think that they should revamp their point system a little bit. More points should be awarded to the winner of each race. I don't think that the extra 5 points they are awarding this year is enough. Or maybe you get extra points if you win the pole and the race. I mean, you don't even get any points for winning the pole, and that is a big part of the race. Maybe Matt Kenseth did deserve the title, he had a great season, and even though he didn't win the most races, he was always up there. He lead the points list for 33 consecutive weeks, which is very impressive. But the argument with that could be:
      Lets say the Jets were 1-15, but lost every game by 1 point. They stayed consistent, always playing good ball, and just losing, should they get rewarded and get a spot in the playoffs. No. That is the problem with the point system. If you are interested in the point system, but don't fully understand it, check here for the full understanding....
      2000 DX, Blue
      Eibach Pro-Kit, MSP Struts, 16" Kosei's on Honkook Ventus HR-II's(205-45-16), MSP Exhaust, Injen CAI, MSP Strut Tower Bar, NGK Wires
      2 JL Audio 10w3-d4's in a sealed box, Rockford 500s amp, 2 6x9 Pioneer Premier 4-ways, 2 6x8 Kenwood Excelon 3-ways, Rockford 301x amp, Pioneer Premier DEH-P650, Dynamat in some fun places.....

Comment

Originally posted by mixmaster_matt
        Lets say the Jets were 1-15, but lost every game by 1 point. They stayed consistent, always playing good ball, and just losing, should they get rewarded and get a spot in the playoffs. No. That is the problem with the point system. If you are interested in the point system, but don't fully understand it, check here for the full understanding....
        http://www.nascar.com/2002/kyn/nascar_101/02/02/Points/
        Football and racing are NOT closely related, obviously.

There are only two sides competeing in a football game, not like in racing where there are 30+ teams.

I think there is nothing wrong with the old approach. It's the same way in golf, mostly. Vijay Sing and Tiger were the most consistant players in golf, therefore they were the obvious leading candidates for player of the year.
        Dan
        dreesemonkey

Comment

Is this DEI and Hendrick being babies again because a Roush car won?
          Leave it to NASCAR to give fans even LESS reason to watch...
          ~Mark.
          2002 Protege DX 5 speed, "Kenmore White," well-loved and a little over half paid-for

Comment

nascar is ghey
            My OLD Car

Comment

I'm not going to get deep into it, but the old point system was fine. Kenseth deserved the win, he had the most points, regardless of how many wins he had or didn't have. The championship goes to the team with the most poiints, period.

As for the new system, it sucks to cut the season short by 10 races. The team who ends up 11th will NOT have a shot at the championship...and will NOT have a shot at getting into the top ten...10 races is a lot. I think they should extend the season to 46 races and the run the regular 36 as normal and the last 10 be the "playoffs". If they really have to change the system, otherwise, leave the **** alone.

Comment

i think if they wanted to promote teams to go for the win rather than being consistent, all they had to do was to increase the point difference between 1st place and 2nd place, enough such that the person that won the most races will be in the driver's seat to win the championship.

none of this artificial 'playoff' setup please

'04 Titanium RX-8

Comment

The point system has worked for 33 years...WTF! It's what set Nascar apart from other sports, it was different accross the board...now they want to mainstream it and fill thier deeper pockets even deeper...

Kenseth's season:

1 win (not great, but still a tough feat to win just one)
                  25 top 10 finishes (most excellent)
                  11 top 5 finishes (includes the win) (pretty darn good)
                  average finish 10.3 (most excellent)
                  354 laps led (not all that great)
                  0 DNF's (this is a big key)
                  $4,038,120 in winnings (MOST ****ING EXCELLENT)

Comment

Working...
                  X