Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peter's 1990 323 SE Build...

Hi guys,

I'm new here and this is my first posting -- glad to find a place where I can share knowledge and experiences with other owners.

My "Mazda" background: I owned a 1988 323 SE up until 2003. I put about 60k miles on it before it gave up the ghost at about 186k miles (ECU died and it had a lot of other mechanical problems.) I bought a VW Jetta TDI (turbo diesel) after that, brand new. ? ? Drove it for the past 6 years. Then I decided/realized that I missed the old hatchback format and was really bored with the Jetta. It was just too nice of a car and I preferred to cash out some of the equity and move back downmarket.

So what did I do? I sold the Jetta. And I bought not one but TWO 323s.

One is a 1988 Mazda 323 GTX. The other is a 90 Mazda 323.

This worklog will summarize my experiences with the 1990 SE.

The story of the 1990 SE begins with my discovery of a craigslist posting about the 323 about 6 weeks ago. A guy in Richmond, CA (just outside of Berkely, which is just across the bay from SF here in Northern California) posts that he is selling TWO 1990 323s for $1200 OBO. I went and looked at them and was initially considering buying both. But the one had been involved in an accident and that to me was trouble that I wasn't interested in taking on.

So the one I bought had 117k miles on it.

5 speed. It looked like a tiger had been let loose inside of there and annihilated the front seats. I keep laughing to myself every time I think of the image of a tiger in the little car. The clutch was in about the same condition as the seats, totally gone. Body is straight, engine sounded good and most other things appeared in-tact. Save there was this really nasty goopy stuff on the dashboard that I still haven't been able to identify, but have since cleaned off. The engine bay was also in gorgeous shape as illustrated here...

More interior pics...

So during the first weekend I went to find replacement seats. I found a guy parting out a MX-3 and got those seats for $125. Kinda more than I'd wished to have paid, but c'est la vie.

When I got the seats home I realized that they were dirtier than I thought. So what did I do? I did what any sane minded person would do: I removed the upholstery a panel at a time and put it through my washing machine -- no joke.

This turned out to be a 2 day task... getting the seats cleaned up. I then put the upholstery back on. When I did I used cable ties in place of the bull-rings that they otherwise use to hold the metal rods together. This method worked exceptionally well and if you have to do any work on your seats it is the method I would strongly suggest for buttoning them back up. (This explanation may not make complete sense but if you've looked at the upholstery up close I am sure you know what I mean.

Okay so, that's the thing I did in the first weekend. I think I'll use a second post to talk about the mechanical stuff I did on this guy just this past wekend, it is a far more interesting story...
    Last edited by textures2; 11-24-2009, 12:48 AM.

nice dude! congrats on the finds. u gotta get some sexy pic up ASAP... any before and after of the seats? i'm in the same boat with mine. couldn't shampoo em good enough, but maybe if i take the covers off? :shrug:

btw, welcome to CP
    1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
    Featured in Rally Gearbox Magazine 3/1/11
    "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

Comment

Hey, thanks for the response. My girlfriend helped take a nice set of "before" pics of the car. Included in there are all the really fouled up things that I described above. I will probably get them from her this weekend (she's a schoolteacher and is usually pretty busy during the week.)

Comment

Okay so... this past weekend is where the fun on the car really began.

I have to say that I am sort of new to working on cars. My day job is in IT and I never before really had the inclination to get my hands dirty with this stuff. BUT... my younger brother is studying mechanical engineering and knows a ****load about Hondas. (He his a forum moderator over at hondatech and has done a whole plethora of crazy installs/builds/mods to civics...) So I have to say he sortof inspired me to try my hand at it.

So I spent a couple of weeks buying tools and planning. I knew that changing my clutch was no small undertaking and my brother said that "if you can do that, you won't be afraid to try anything else after that."

So what did I do? I went and invested in what any backyard mechanic should have: a 260 piece craftsman mechanic's tool set. And also bought breaker bars, torque wrench, pilot bearing puller... and the other thing I also bought was a "special service tool" to lock the flywheel. I don't know what tricks you guys use to do this, but I forked over $80 for the service tool. It was a little annoying but I figured that this isn't the first time I will use it and if I am saving $1000 in labor its somehow justified.

In preparation I bought all the fluids, seals (rockauto), clutch kit (ebay) and tools. I also built a truss to support my engine. I built this thing out of 3 2x4s, bolted together laterally. The idea was that I was going to need this to lay across the engine bay to hold the engine up while I did the transmission stuff.

So here's all what was done in the past weekend:
        • New clutch
        • Resurfaced flywheel (found a guy to do it on a Saturday afternoon, charged me $40)
        • New clutch cover
        • Rebuilt clutch release cylinder
        • Replaced seals on transmission
        • Spent 2+ hours cleaning transmission body / surface and interior(!!)
        • Had brake rotors turned
        • Replaced front struts
        • Replaced front brake pads
        • Replaced CV axles
        • New transmission oil
        • New engine oil + filter
        • New air filter
        • New battery terminals

The transmission deinstall/removal was pretty tricky. I was unsure exactly where all the bolts were but found them with the help of my girlfriend and the service manual. Lowering it was kinda tricky. I realized that building the "truss" was really one of the smartest things I did in the process. Prior to starting to unbolt the transmission I laid the assembly across the engine bay. I then used those ratchet-webbing tie-downs looped around the truss a few times (to take up some slack) and tightened the whole thing down using the loops on the engine block. This approach worked extremely well and I would advocate it to any of you who are looking to do clutch/tranny work.

Once I got the transmission out I discovered that the clutch and flywheel had been rubbing metal on metal for... who knows how long? The flywheel looked like badly worn brake rotors. When I took it to the engine shop the guy told me when he gave it back that he could only imagine how the car must have driven. He did a superb job and the flywheel looked better than I imagined it would. All of this friction and flywheel dust created a helluva mess. I spent a long time just cleaning things.

The pilot bearing tool worked smoothly. I also thought that I might have had to use a press to get the pilot bearing back in but a guy at a local service place told me to just use a socket and tap it in. That method seemed to work just fine.

Rebuilding the release cylinder was a gratifying process. The release cylinder on my other 323 (the GTX) went out a couple weeks ago and hadn't gotten around to doing anything about it. When I was ordering parts from rockauto I ordered the rebuild kit. I am glad that I did -- the process was super easy and I feel very confident knowing that I'm wearing on new parts and have some peace of mind about the overall condition of things as I redo them.

Brake rotors looked like deeply cut LP records. My local Kragen was able to turn them for $15 a rotor. They looked really nice when I was putting them back in. Turns out I had the wrong brake pads though. Apparently there's some significance to specifying that your car has rear drum brakes (I didn't even know that it did) when determining which pads fit the car.

Everything I did went very smoothly. The ONLY issue that I encountered where I actually did something wrong had nothing at all to do with the clutch/transmission work. Somewhere along the way when I was moving parts around I dropped one of the strut-mount nuts. It landed somewhere inside the engine compartment where I couldn't easily find it. I thought that it had fallen under the intake or something.

So I removed the intake and housing and all that. And in the process I didn't have a clear idea of how to disconnect the airflow meter. I unscrewed the screws from the housing -- thinking that was the way to disconnect the wiring harness (I can say with clarity now: it isn't.) When I did so I saw all these metal contacts inside. It looked a little precarious so I pushed it back in and screwed it in.

An hour or so later I got everything bolted back together and was ready to go out for the maiden voyage. My buddy was with me and we drove about 15 miles up the road to Mountain View. Everything was going well, the car felt wonderful... like it just breathed a great sigh of relief after having been neglected for so long.

Well I got to mountain view and turned down a side-street. Drove a couple blocks and the engine stopped. It wouldn't start again. Had to call AAA.

Had the car towed to a local service facility. Left it overnight. Rode my bike over there in the morning, feeling pretty tired from having exerted myself so much on the car during the weekend. Then told them the situation. Agreed to the $108 diagnostic fee

They called me about 2 hrs later and told me it was the airflow meter and the new one plus labor would be $448. Having only paid $500, there was no way I could justify this. So I rode my bike back over there and talked to them.. we attempted to reinsert the airflow meter connector... got the car to start but then it stopped as soon as the engine's vibrations shook the connections loose (my theory at the time, later validated...)

So I unbolted the airflow meter and rode home. I figured it was time to get McGyver on this project. I set the thing on my kitchen table and disassembled it. Used a razorblade to cut open the silicone seal around the electronics at the top. Lo and behold, my 3 broken connections. I then did what any sane person would do: soldered them back.

I closed the whole thing up and rode my bike back over to the shop. I reattached my parts and started up the car. I smiled to myself, paid my $108... and drove away feeling somewhat relieved.

Comment

Spent the afternoon removing the seats and cleaning the hell out of the carpet with a Rug Doctor. I went through THREE refills of the rug-doctor tank with the upholstery attachment. It was amazing to me just how insanely dirty the carpets were. Its almost as if someone had dumped a bag of potting soil in the car and then just danced around in it for a few months. My girlfriend took pics of this process so I will post them once she emails them to me.

Edit: got the pics...

It was kinda funny because I found all kinds of little small bits of childrens toys (barretts, plastic rings, cards... a wad of coupons and other weirdness.) I can't help but think that some of the "loose rattles" I've been hearing while driving around are the result of this stuff laying around.

Whoever owned this car before seems like they left it in a swamp (!!!) I cleaned out bits of decayed plant material in the mounts for the hatchback supports.

Also earlier in the week I received a bottle of Mother's Plastic Polish. Spent some time with the headlights and the taillights and other pieces of trim.
          Last edited by textures2; 11-24-2009, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Spent my Saturday installing new rear struts on this ride. Installed stock monroes. Man, what a helluva improvement -- this car definitely needed it.

Also installed a new JVC stereo and 4x6.5 Kenwood speakers.... ran a bottle of fuel injector cleaner through it.

Also replaced my v-belt...

Up to come yet is a new water pump, timing belt and rear brakes... new fuel filter and plugs. Also my timing gun should be arriving this week so I will check engine timing as it feels slightly off, mainly during idle.

Need to get some photos together... gonna work on that soon.

Comment

Monday night: replaced gas lifts for hatchback.

Tonight: replaced cap + rotor. Interestingly enough the one that came off of it didn't look to be in that bad of shape, but the rotor looked darkened as if it had been fouled from a lot of use. Has anyone just cleaned this surface with steel wool and reassembled? In this case it doesn't matter since I replaced entirely but was thinking about whether cleaning it as mentioned and keeping it around as a spare was a good idea at all?

I am also gonna bug my girlfriend about bringing her camera this weekend so I can add some pics.
              Last edited by textures2; 11-24-2009, 12:52 AM.

Comment

This past weekend:

- Installed new timing belt
                - Replaced timing belt cover gasket
                - Replaced water pump
                - Replaced fuel filter
                - Replaced spark plugs
                - Replaced valve-cover gasket
                - Replaced PCV valve...

Comment

Oh and finally got some pics up... they're not arranged in the most logical order, but I will fix that later. Cheers...

Comment

making some amazing progress. you're def puttin me to shame. wish i had more time to work. Lookin forward to w/e you and maybe ur bro end up doin
                    1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
                    Featured in Rally Gearbox Magazine 3/1/11
                    "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

Comment

Originally posted by worldhazard View Post
                      making some amazing progress. you're def puttin me to shame. wish i had more time to work. Lookin forward to w/e you and maybe ur bro end up doin
                      Hey thanks! BTW I noticed in your thread you have a BG strut brace. Any interest in selling it? Where did you find it? I want one... not really sure where to look.

Found one for hella expensive in the UK?

Comment

Originally posted by textures2 View Post
                        Hey thanks! BTW I noticed in your thread you have a BG strut brace. Any interest in selling it? Where did you find it? I want one... not really sure where to look.

Found one for hella expensive in the UK?
                        I ended up buying and installing that expensive UK brace. Price with shipping to California from Scotland ended up around $130. Not too bad...

Comment

New stuff:

- Replaced alternator with one I found on eBay in like-new condition for $18 (sweet deal!)
                          - Replaced water-pump pulley (mine was slightly warped, meh...)
                          - Installed aforementioned strut-brace

Comment

Forthcoming:

- Honda Civic VX wheels - got 3 of these for free from my younger brother. I was home during Thanksgiving and fedex'ed them to myself from SC to CA. Called a salvage place in WI and ordered the 4th one this morning, so will have a complete set. Hope to get the tires swapped/mounted/balanced in a few days

- Kicker 6" subwoofer. I wanted something modest. My dad actually had this tube in an old 92 Chevy Astro van that was in our family. I had to order a replacement driver for it as I think the old one was toast. I will hopefully get around to wiring this up in the next couple of weeks.

- Seriously considering a GTX engine-swap
                            - ... Also stabilizer bars from a protege LX
                            - Want a protege LX instrument cluster (with tach)
                            - Paint job (so f***king expensive though! agghhh)
                            Last edited by textures2; 12-04-2009, 10:13 AM.

Comment

ya rly

Comment

Working...
                              X