Ok, I searched and no dice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I searched and no dice

Seeing as how I have yet to get a manual for my bf, can anyone tell me what the compression ratio is on a stock b6 sohc out of an 88 323? Thanks a bunch. Currently on the lookout for a Miata 1.6...hmmm.....

9.3:1

Comment

Not bad, but not really boostable. Onward with the 16v head, maybe some shaving.

Comment

lucky u....mine is 7.9:1

Comment

16 valve head will not fit on the sohc motor

Comment

Now what is your reasoning for the head not fitting? I have read other places that it will? I know you have to swap over the timing set, intake and exhaust manifolds. What else?

Comment

The SOHC pistons have the valve reliefs cut for the SOHC head, and vice-versa for the DOHC. I don't recall if the coolant or oil passageways line up 100% with the different heads, but I remember someone getting a SOHC head gasket by mistake and finding out that it wouldn't work. Then there's the differences between the distributors, wiring, ECUs, B6T block has a stiffer bottom end, piston oil squirters, thicker con rods, floating piston pins, forged crank, etc. etc.

Here's some info from the yahoo list, I don't have a lot of time to really dig in to it because I'm at work:

If you search for "SOHC DOHC HEAD", you'll find a lot of useful info.

Good luck!
              Last edited by BFMRGTX; 10-29-2009, 01:37 AM.

Comment

You know, I have seen tidbits here and there of the same, but they have only been snippits of why it would or wouldn't work. I will need to get the whole engine then, and in the case of the miata, swap the coolant inlet to the back side of the head. Right on and thanks.

Comment

If you try to use the Miata head, the intake will point to the passenger's side of the car, and the coolant outlet needs to be blocked and relocated to the rear of the head. IDK if the MX3 intake will bolt up to the Miata head, as it's been a long time since I've read about the discussion. Maybe someone here, who's more knowledgeable than I could chime in. Best to use the auto Miata block and B6T head, IMO.

Comment

Working...
                  X