Center Channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Center Channel

How would I go about hooking up a center channel speaker... ive thought about it and if I spliced into like hte + on one side and the - on the other side it would get a signal but wouldnt it lower the ohms for the others? reason im askin is cuz I was diggin around in the garage and found one of my older type R's (i froze the cone on the other one) and was thinkin of molding it into the center console when I do my dash.... anyone got ideas?

Speaking of center spkrs, is truly like a center speaker because of where the driver's seat is located (not in the middle like in the McLaren cars), will it sound like sound coming more from the right? Just curious I guess. I know a lot of center surrounds are 3 1/2" drivers which would put out a lot with less power, so didn't know how it would affect the rest of the system as far as imaging. Any one want to elaborate on this? Thanks!
    :ARCADE: MisterT :ARCADE:
    2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
    KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
    Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
    Groundkit

Comment

you have to get a 5.1 processor for proper sound from the center speaker. regarless of that, center speakers **** up your sound stage with proper imaging of components on each side, you should be able to distiguish left, center, and right. if you do put in a center speaker, have a seperate amp for it, so you can shut it off easily

Comment

The mixed (+) and (-) you are thinking about works well to produce what are called ambience speakers, the godfathers of surround. Brian Eno did a few albums engineered for the use of ambience, but other than those, it is only a so so effect.
        Your thinking is correct, a set of three identical speakers across the front would by the way to go, Blue is right when is says the benefit would be for Dolby use only. It would screw up the imaging of your system. Note that in home audio, the system is designed to be flexable, three front channels for Dolby and processor generated artificial soundfields, but for stereo music sources and listing, these same systems revert back to a two channel front soundfield.
        Stick with two unless you plan on a in car movie theater!
        David A. Cameron
        "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men
        stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Ex Protege Owner- and I still love em!
        2004 Cooperworks Mini
        2003 Acura TSX

And I swear not another car until my daughter gets a drivers license!!

De Oppresso Liber
        Sine Pari

Comment

I am planning on it. it will just be a while before I get the processor.... alpine f1 status .... but wanted to do it at the same time as when I do the rest of the interior so that I wouldnt have to take the dash out again and get it repainted.... I figured it would mess the imaging up but like how bad.... like horribly worse than like a blown speaker in a door so only one front worse? or not that bad...?

Comment

Originally posted by blue LEDz
            you have to get a 5.1 processor for proper sound from the center speaker. regarless of that, center speakers **** up your sound stage with proper imaging of components on each side, you should be able to distiguish left, center, and right. if you do put in a center speaker, have a seperate amp for it, so you can shut it off easily
            Are you saying that you can get a 5.1 processor and hook the center channel to the front two speakers and hear all three front channels?

Comment

it would seperate the speakers L and R and then combine it in the center during music.... during dvd's it would act like a home theatre

Comment

back in ye ole day of newbizm, i took on the project of a rear center speaker. mounting? nah, not a problem.. imagine the seat back up and locked, center arm rest down, and a moron equipped with an 1 1/2 inch hole saw attatched to a cordless drill. yeah, somehow i managed to make 6 or 7 rough plunge cuts and threw a 6 1/2 inch speaker into the arm rest and amped the **** out of it. but reguardless, isn't a 5.1 surround processor going to take a bit of room? wouldn't a center channel be worthless without an lcd screen with a dvd player? meh, good luck
                peace

Comment

lcd goes where the passenger side airbag currently is... and the dvd player is my laptop.. or an xbox if I choose to buy another one... and hte processor is roughly the same size as a 50x4w amp

Comment

Originally posted by asylum24
                    lcd goes where the passenger side airbag currently is... and the dvd player is my laptop.. or an xbox if I choose to buy another one... and hte processor is roughly the same size as a 50x4w amp

if you have the screen in the passenger side, i don't think it would be wise to put in a center channel, cause you'd have to mount it above or below the screen, which will be too close to the right speaker my buddy had a center channel in his tahoe with like a 10" drop down (it was huge back in '98 or '99) and a center channel mounted at the top of it. it was cool for movies, since the front speakers were so low compared to the screen, but he had a seperate switch to cut off the center speaker for music and video games

Comment

well **** then. I cant mount it in the center cuz its the early 2nd gen... **** **** ****.. hmmm

Comment

Working...
                      X