Problems with my B6: Need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with my B6: Need help!

Ok so here's the deal. I was driving my little BF home from the movies today and about when i got on the highway i noticed a big loss of power. I do live in pretty high elevation ( 5,000 ft) and i know it effects power a lot but this was def a good percent of power. I would drop it to third to go up hills at 3??k RPM and i was still loosing speed. That's not right! plus I did hear a weird kind of ringing/rattle noise too. Ive heard it before but not this much and i did notice it kicked in around 3k where im loosing some power. It may be nothing but idk. also my idle isn't very consistent now. It would go from about (850 which is normal) to like 500 and bounce back and it would just go up and down, up and down. It is an old motor with 179,xxx miles on it and i can say i haven't been the nicest on it, but anyway. Any help/ input on this would be greatly appreciated.

i had something similar wrong with mine. huge lumpy idle, loss of power. sounded like i have a big cam in it. lol

turns out the plastic intake pipe had gotten old and brittle under it from the heat from the header. a small hole was created on the bottom. so the car was getting more air than the maf was reading..so it ran like ****. lol

'88 323 sedan, K-swapped..

'03.5 Mazdaspeed Protege - miss it so much..

'01 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins - 323 hauler

Comment

Thanks man Im going to check it out today. Hopefully thats the problem and not something serious. Than again i wouldn't be to mad if it just blew up lol then i could just do an engine swap. haha we'll see what happens.

Comment

Ok so my my friend and i checked it out today. we put new spk plugs in and tryed it again and its def not that. I would say I def lost a good 50% of power and when it revs its a lot louder! Im thinking its not worth my time and money to fix this thing. Im thinking about doing a engine swap like a BP-05 or a KL-DE what do you guys think? maybe a Fe3 would be sick but would that work in my BF? Its a sedan by the way. Also, how much will it cost me to do a full engine swap, up and running? Any help would be awesome! Thanks..

Comment

Did you check the timing? Also check for loose couplers in the air intake system, and loose or old vacuum lines, which pop off easily. Was any work done to the car recently? Check the tension on the timing belt? The AFM electrical connector fully seated? Any oil blow by in the intake? Filters good? Is the catalytic converter plugged?

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. Today I took off the intake tubing and checked for oil blow back and found a little in between the rubber copler that seals the plastic tube to the TB. I also noticed the timing belt was a bit looser on the right side and tight on the left but not super tight, it felt like it was fine. I just had the timing belt done about 8 months ago along with the water pump. I checked sensors and there all pluged in like there suposed to. So after i did all this and put her back together. I drove it down the street maybe 1/4 of a mile at a constant 3k rpm and as i was driving it made a hesitation and kept going and as i did my U turn to come back I pushed the clutch put her in 2nd and it just died. It will crank and start but then automaticly just startes to die it wont keep idleing and i cant give it gas to keep an idle. My friend thinks its a fuel issue but idk. What do you guys think? Is it done for?

Comment

Check the electric connector for the AFM. Make sure the pins on the socket and plug are not corroded, and make sure the pins on the plug have not been pushed back.

Comment

Yeah i checked that earlier before my test drive and it was fine. I disconnected it then reconnected it. I think im going to pop off the valve cover tomorrow and poke my head around. Thanks again guys.

Comment

Try starting the car, and if it doesn't fire up, pull a plug (or all of them) and check the condition to see if they are getting wet. If they're wet, check spark.

Comment

I tried starting the car today and it started. I pulled two plugs just for the heck of it and they look fine. Not wet or anything. I did just replace them 3 days ago. I also took the valve cover off and it looked clean to me. I called my friend today and he's got a shop so were going to check the compression and timing tomorrow. It kind of seems like the engine is flooding but I cant say. Its weird.

Comment

I ended up not getting it to the shop the other day so I replaced the fuel filter and it didn't seem to make a difference. It seems like its running lean and just not getting enough fuel. Could it just be clogged injectors or maybe my fuel pump?

Comment

I took it to my friends shop about a week ago and we got it running a little smoother. We had to completely retard the distributor which is a temporary fix just so I can drive it around town. Him and I have no idea of what it could be we were thinking of sending off the injectors to be tested and maybe cleaned. Anything guys? Oh and the cat is less than a year old. Got it when I did my exhaust so it shouldn't be clogged.

Comment

If you're running lean that means you're not getting enough fuel... either you got a bunged fuel pump or a bunged FPR. Change the pump it's under the back seat and easy to do... just remember to bleed the pressure.

JoN - Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Journeyman
                          Member of MX-3.com
                          1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica
                          1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE - Raspberry... RIP

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Comment

Thanks man that helps a lot.

Comment

I agree that you should check your fuel pressure first. Here's how I do it: I remove the hose from the fuel filter, put my thumb over the fuel filter pipe and turn the key on. If I can hold the pressure back (no spray escapes) I have a bad fuel pump. If I get a good spray, the problem is elsewhere. Cover your hand with a rag!

Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X