dash lights acting up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dash lights acting up

so yesterday after i replaced a burst coolant hose going to the backside of the intake i turned on my car this morning and the chargelight, rear brake, wiper fluid and fuel light all come on and stay on. when this first started they sounded like they were buzzing and eventually went out after letting the car run for about an hour. now after starting the car the lights stay on til i tap the gas pedal after i tap the gas they turn off. this is the weirdest thing to happen to my car in the 7 years i've owned it and have no clue what it could be unless the connections behind the panel have come loose. any ideas or suggestions of things to try would be great. i have searched the forum and haven't found anything. thanks

Ive run into this. ITs a bad alternator. I had replaced the one I had in my Green base model, and after about 5 months, these same symptons popped up. It wouldnt charge unless you hit the throttle and then it would come to life. Best way to tell for sure is wait till the evening when its dark outside. Pull up to like a wall or garage door. Shut the engine off, turn on your headlights and start the car. If the headlights get instantly brighter after you pop the gas peddle a bit, then that is your problem.

Edit, thought this was the "What did you do to your Mazda today?" thread. Moved my exciting story. :D
    Last edited by FamiliaGT; 11-18-2009, 12:48 AM.
    Mazda
    1988 Black 323 GT
    DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

2013 Velocity Red Mica Mazdaspeed3

Comment

yeah i'm pretty sure that's what it is. on the way home the lights started buzzing and going off and on, when i got home i turned the car off and went to turn it back on...nothing. and i know it can't be the battery because it's only 8 months old. and i just checked it this summer.

Comment

How old is the alternator? If its the original, chance are shes tired.
        Mazda
        1988 Black 323 GT
        DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

Comment

only a few years. it was a reich rcaing 105 amp. thought it would have lasted a bit longer

Comment

problem solved, installed new alternator and everything is working like it should. also found out the burst coolant hose was actually running from the block to the iac and then to the intake manifold.

Comment

Man, I love it when im actually right for a change. :D Congrats!
              Mazda
              1988 Black 323 GT
              DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

Comment

yeah, thanks for suggesting that, i was about to tear the dash apart and check all the bulbs. alternator replacement was much quicker.

Comment

Working...
                X