How Can I Do This?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Can I Do This?

Hey guys, I've been checking out this forum for a bit now and finally decided to put in my two bits. I drive a 01 ES and I'm in the process of putting a decent stereo system in it. Nothing really fancy but enough to get me by for now.Right now I have 4 Boston NX67's, one for each door, 2 Boston RM9's for the rear deck, 2 Pioneer Premier TS-W1500SPL's chillin in the trunk, a Kenwood KAC-X810D to power the subs, an its brother the KAC-X650D for the rest of the speakers. I want it to look like its still a stock stereo in the car so I don't get all my gear stolen. I was wondering what you thought the best way to hook up my stock deck to these amps?
    01 ES, jokingly referred to as the Slotege.

Get off my headlight dim biatch. I like it that way. Soon, I'll have enough stuff to make the car shut down because I'll be drawing too much power. Then I'll be happy.

Also, what size caps do you think I'll need to make sure my amps get the power they want? And is a new alternator probably in my future?

Get off my headlight dim biatch. I like it that way. Soon, I'll have enough stuff to make the car shut down because I'll be drawing too much power. Then I'll be happy.

Comment

first off, i gotta ask, why pioneer subs and kenwood amps? you were doing so well with the bostons

to use your stock deck, you're going to need a good line output converter. david navone makes the best i've ever used.

to split up the signal from the LOC to the amps i'd use a good electronice x-over. i've got a 4xs from audio control that's pretty sweet. check out the 4xs and 6xs.

Comment

Originally posted by TayTay
        Also, what size caps do you think I'll need to make sure my amps get the power they want? And is a new alternator probably in my future?

no, and no. do not get a cap. do a search on here and type capacitor. it's been discussed many times, so all i'm going to say is that they are worthless unless your alternator can supply enough current for the amps. unless you want to spend several hundred dollars on a new alt, don't worry about it. i've been running over 1000 watts through my car since day 3 of owning it. other than the stock battery dying, i've had no problems. well, other than replacing the voltage regulator after it was killed from the battery grounding out currently i'm running 1700 watts daily with no problems

Comment

I originally went with the Kenwood amps because the deck i was going to buy came with BMS which lets the deck talk to the amps and tell them what to do. I've since changed my mind about the deck and decided to stay stock. I went with the Pioneer subs because they're the best I can do on a budget. Like i said, a decent system, just something to get me by.

Comment

I originally went with the Kenwood amps because the deck i was going to buy came with BMS which lets the deck talk to the amps and tell them what to do. I've since changed my mind about the deck and decided to stay stock. I went with the Pioneer subs because they're the best I can do on a budget. Like i said, a decent system, just something to get me by.

how much did you pay for the subs? cause believe me when i say that pioneers are definitely not the best for any budget, unless you pay wholesale cost

Comment

I think I paid 280 for the pair. What would you recommend for a three hundred dollar budget?

Comment

I think I paid 280 for the pair. What would you recommend for a three hundred dollar budget?

well, if you had to stick with 2 subs, elemental designs K-series all the way www.edesignaudio.com good luck finding a dissatisfied customer or a set of the SE resonant engineering 10's for $150 each. www.respl.com

if you would rather get one sub that will blow away the 2, then you've got a few more options. resonant engineering has the HC 12 for $260. or an HC 15 for $280. but if you want an absolutely killer deal, CBR stereo has the orion H2's for cheap. it can actually perform up with my brahma 10, but it's under $100 less. i thought about buying one, cause that price is soooooooo good. or $290 for the 12" version. i've heard nothing but good things about the H2's, but they still don't have as flat of a BL curve as my brahma. course neither does a W7

Comment

OK, first I am a little confused...Why do you have 6 full range speakers in the car? The front speakers are fine and the ones in the rear doors are acceptable, but why have the 6x9s in the rear deck. With the subs, there is no need for the bass response of the 6x9s and their sound probably drounds out the rear door speakers along with doing damage to your front soundstage. Get you speaker/soundstage issues solved before worrying about your subs. Also, how are you running that 5-ch. Kenwood amp for your main speakers?

My suggestion for your system: Sell the 5 ch amp and get the KAC-X520 if you can. Sell all the Boston Speakers you currently have (maybe keep the rear door speakers) and get some decent components, perhaps the Boston RC620 or the Pro6.5 systems for the front. You can obviously still use the factory stereo utilizing a LOC. and have a very good sounding system. Not award winning, but good and concealed.

Comment

I share in the confusion- the six speakers and two subs is more than needed. Everyone here will have a suggestion for a system setup- we all love to talk about that!!
                    I like the Boston stuff myself, but I would also chime in, trade all four speakers for one good front set. If you have to have a set in the rear, stick with the RM9 on the rear deck and then go to a single 10 or 12 in the trunk.
                    The Higher location on the rear package deck will do you far better as a sound location than the rear doors. The P5 has speakers in the rear door because in a station wagon, where the heck else was there to really put them? The LX,DX and ES have the locations for rear door speakers just because Mazda elected to use the same doors on sedan and wagons!
                    Six high frequency sound locations is way to much, and the soundstage won't. Be a soundstage that is. It will be thrown to the rear of the car somewhere over your sholders.
                    Try this sometime at home. Listen to sound facing the music source sitting in a chair. Then turn the chair around and listen the same music from behind. If your ears are physically built the same as most human beings, and your brain is wired the same as most folks, then you will notice detail and image much better facing the music. It is the way our ears and brains are built.
                    The folks here will tell you I am not a big bass head, and that is very very true. I prefer to hear clear and tight bass. There was a time where getting loud and low bass was the real sign of having taken time and some dollars to get a good system. That was not lost on the hardware manufacturers- and all have rushed to fill the bass hungery market. Now one can drop in a couple of hard hitting big subs and a highout class D amp built just for bass all under 750.00, folks here can help you do the same for a fraction of that I suspect.
                    (personal rave here) Real car audio is in the front of the car, where you listen the music, where you are trying to get a distinct left right and center soundstage seemlessly from side mirror to side mirror. I think that is where the high dollars are still at in car audio, the most expensive amps are nice AB stuff for the front stage, like Helix, Brax, Audison, Adcom and McIntosh. The most refined design work and manufacture of speakers today are on the front soundstage speakers from companies like Morel, Focal, Image Dynamics, Oz and yes, Boston Acoustics.
                    So for my moment in the bull pulpet- get some nice fronts, and a good bass, and drop the rest! I think some of the nicest sounding systems I have ever heard were a two way set in the front and a single decent sub in the trunk! You could do this and still use the stock headunit.
                    I like the stockhead unit. Stick with it unless there are some features you want that it does not have. Your ears won't be albe to hear a difference the CD headunit, there aren't quite that good! They know front from back, but not Alpine from Pioneer, trust me!
                    But good luck and tell us all what you choose to do, and how you proceed. We will all help in anyway we can!!
                    David A. Cameron
                    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men
                    stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Ex Protege Owner- and I still love em!
                    2004 Cooperworks Mini
                    2003 Acura TSX

And I swear not another car until my daughter gets a drivers license!!

De Oppresso Liber
                    Sine Pari

Comment

dave, keep up with all that typing and you're gonna get carprol tunnel syndrome and no, i have no idea how to spell carprol, i'm just guessing that's it what are your thought of rainbow speakers? i've heard nothing but good things about them, and their lower end set that i heard a while back sounded awesome have you used, or heard anything about zapco, sinfoni, and TRU amps?

Comment

Ah- a late night after too much sushi and too much sake, excuse the spelling! Rainbow looks interesting, but I have only seen them once in 5+ years of doing SQ judging.
                        I was remiss to not mention Zapco, or Butler Creek hardware, both make very superlative hardware.
                        Sinfoni is what appears to be good hardware, an aquaintnence has the new sole us distributorship on the hardware, but I expect it to be at least 60 days out from seeing any in quantity in the US. So he says.
                        I also like Genesis hardware, and again I for got them. My understanding is they and Sinfoni share some of the same hardware chassis and components, but differ in the output stages.
                        Last- you would know more about the TRU stuff than me, it is edesign stuff, and I don't dabble in it. Perhaps you could get me a sponsership or at least a price break on some for me to play with!!
                        David A. Cameron
                        "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men
                        stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Ex Protege Owner- and I still love em!
                        2004 Cooperworks Mini
                        2003 Acura TSX

And I swear not another car until my daughter gets a drivers license!!

De Oppresso Liber
                        Sine Pari

Comment

Originally posted by dacinokc
                          Last- you would know more about the TRU stuff than me, it is edesign stuff, and I don't dabble in it. Perhaps you could get me a sponsership or at least a price break on some for me to play with!!

i've only heard one set of rainbow components, and they were awesome. and i figure since they have a $10k set of components they must have something going for them.

tru technology is far from ED's product. they've been around for a while, and i don't know the details of how they hooked up with ED, either. if you care to check them out, here's the site. their sledge hammer amp has a competiton rating of 600 watts, but will put out 4k watts nice class AB amp. they are very pricey amps, where as ED doesn't have pricey subs. you might like their A class amp, though as well as their copper tube amps

Comment

Working...
                          X