BPT Highway Driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BPT Highway Driving

Ok, this is a pretty stupid question. Suppose one has a BPT with the G series tranny. The gearing is really damn short on the trannys, revving 3k @ 60mph. I'm assuming since the VJ-21 is a relatively small turbo, it should be spooled up by 3k rpm.

What kind of problems could occur with long periods of time with the turbo being spooled? If anything, it would probably be detrimental to the turbo. Going that fast probably wouldn't make the air-intake temp be high becase of all the air running through the intercooler, so that wouldn't be much of a problem.

I know that you're supposed to let your engine idle for a little while before you turn off the engine so the turbo has a chance to cool down, would you need to let it cool longer after long periods of time when the turbo was under boost?

Sorry if this is a dumb question!
    Dan
    dreesemonkey

If you're cruising at 3k or even 4k for that matter the turbo isn't really spooling up. If you're off the gas or just on it a little bit to maintain speed you're not going to be getting boost, or much of it. But once you're already at that rpm just getting into the pedal a little bit gets it spooled up quickly.
    -Robert
    '93 Protege Turbo LX 5-speed

-GTX VJ-20 turbo w/ custom downpipe, Haltech E6K Kit w/ 3Bar MAP sensor & O2 sensor (Engine Management System), .040 overbored pistons with slightly raised compression, Resurfaced cylinder head & valve job, GReddy Type-S BOV, Turbo XS boost controller, 450cc injectors, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, 22"x9"x3" FMIC, full 3" exhaust w/ Catco Catylic converter & Summit Turbo Muffler, ACT Clutch Kit (stage 2), Uretheane shifter bushing, Triple Gauge Pod w/ Boost, Air/Fuel Ratio, and Oil Pressure gauges, Falken Azenis Sport 195/60HR14 tires on steelies.

Comment

i get like over 300 freeway mileage. 250 to normal driving, my gauge also doesnt work but thats when i get the right handers sydrome.
      James G.
      sobe83@yahoo.com
      AIM: DVS 323BPT
      MySpace
      Cardomain
      <BR>

<marquee>Turbonetics T3/T4, RC 550cc injectors, Walbro fuel pump, SSAutochrome Miata manifold, Tial 35mm wastegate, large FMIC, Apex-I SAFC, GReddy Type S BOV, 2.5" aluminum charge pipes, NGK plugs/wires, RX-7 VAM, 3" turbo-back exhaust, ARP head studs, H&R Springs, S/R struts, Sony XPlod deck-2/12" subs, Power Acoustic 800w amp, Pioneer speakers, Evo front bumper, ADR DV8 17" wheels.</marquee>

Comment

Working...
      X