Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EL Protege sill wiring problem

Bah.

http://www.protegemp3.com/vbb225/sho...threadid=40440 Be sure to read the entire thread.

I wired up these using the "black/blue" wire underneath my dashboard, and now the sills ONLY light up when the car key is in the off position or out of the car. The dome light seems to be unaffected by any of this..it goes on/off like it always did. Can someone help me out?
    Clint/1999 "Sport20"

you probably just tapped into the wrong wire. i'm gonna run down to my car and see if i can get you a good pic of where you can hook the ground to other than right by that harness, cause i'm pretty sure i didn't for my alarm.

Comment

damn it's cold out. anyways, you can tap into the black and blue wire anywhere from the b-pillar forward under the door sills you are installing.

in the first pic, that's under the b-pillar lower cover, wich is a PITA to take out, so i don't recomend it, but the wire has a black covering, i between the lower cluster and the red and black speaker wire.

second one is under the door sill, you have to split open the black loom.

3rd is a clearer pic of the loom.

4th is right under the fuse box. at the end of the loom, it will be easy to tap into the black and blue wire.

5th is the green wire going to my alarm tapped into the black and blue one with a butt connector with built in heat shrink.
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks blue. Apparantly I tapped into the wrong blue/black wire. I will get some pics tomorrow of what I accidentally tapped into...and try to fix my mistake. Thanks a lot for the pics!!
        Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Originally posted by NegatiZE
          Thanks blue. Apparantly I tapped into the wrong blue/black wire. I will get some pics tomorrow of what I accidentally tapped into...and try to fix my mistake. Thanks a lot for the pics!!

no problem my car only has like half the interior pieces in it, so i have access to most everything

Comment

Alright, here are the pics...

This was the wire I tapped into. Don't laugh, it's ghetto. The wire had no slack at all so I took some extra wire to make it longer and plug them back together.

Just wanting to make sure this is the correct wire to tap into, right?:

And the door sills themselves:

Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

yep, that's the right wire. if you want to make it easier on yourself, tap into it after it exits the loom, under the panel that covers the fuse box

Comment

just to make sure i understand the functionality of this.

the sills are supposed to light up when the car is on or off, but only when the door is open.. yes?

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
                RB springs
                Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
                MP3 front bumper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by Lil Freek
                  just to make sure i understand the functionality of this.

the sills are supposed to light up when the car is on or off, but only when the door is open.. yes?
                  You got it.
                  Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

so did you get everything working alright??
                    does it light up nicely??

i should have some money a week after i move in to my new place. (Feb 1st)

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
                    RB springs
                    Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
                    MP3 front bumper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by Lil Freek
                      so did you get everything working alright??
                      does it light up nicely??

i should have some money a week after i move in to my new place. (Feb 1st)
                      Not yet...right now I have the ground wires disconnected. I have to wait to borrow my friend's extra wire and crimping tool, because the one I have is a POS. I'll post pics at night and in the daytime of everything when it's done.
                      Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

CLint, I'm thinking all this wiring mishaps may have caused the fire...

Comment

I don't know, I couldn't tell you. From what I looked at under the hood the wires to and from the EL sills weren't damaged/burnt at all.

What I'm thinking is the battery slid around and caused something to short out. I heard somewhere that the battery sliding around is not good.
                          Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Originally posted by NegatiZE
                            I don't know, I couldn't tell you. From what I looked at under the hood the wires to and from the EL sills weren't damaged/burnt at all.

What I'm thinking is the battery slid around and caused something to short out. I heard somewhere that the battery sliding around is not good.

dude, you had a fire? yeah, if the battery slid backwards the positive post will ground out to the tie down. the shims came loose from under mine and my battery slid back and grounded out. i thought my car was totally ****ed, cause nothing would work. i fixed the battery, put on a new ground, and had to have the voltage regulator replaced in the alternator. not too bad for what could have happened

Comment

Yeah, happened this past Tuesday. The thread about it in the off-topic section/my sig has all the info/pictures.
                              Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Working...
                              X