Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fellow rallist Jay W.- Oil Q

Jay,
    I saw you use TORCO oils in you rally car to good effect.
    What one are you using to the 'box-PTF or MTL?
    Transfer= SGO Racing Gear Oils
    (1-liter bottle)
    SR-1 Street Oils
    Select Item:
    SGO 75w90 $16.75SGO 75w140 $18.50

Tried of premature failure(s) w Redline.
    Even then I realize failures will still happen sooner than later - hopefully later w different oil.
    Missing Sno*Drift cause of the rebuilds.
    Thanks for your help.

Erik Zenz

I used the enormous goopy RGO 85w140 in the gearbox, transfer, and rear diff. Makes for a notchy shift when it's cold. It is interesting to me that the tranny is the only part of the drivetrain to have survived the last rally, but then again I was using the same goop in the rear diff when it blew up. I plan on using their synthetic 85w GL6 MTL in the new trans, since Toyota uses a fair amount of yellow metal in their gearboxes and that heavier stuff is not recommended for yellow-metal applications. Since there isn't any in the mazda box I didn't worry about it.

I can only hope for your sake that your mech. DNF's will reduce by switching gearlube, but really, the damn gearbox is just no good. Believe me I feel your pain. Missed Olympus, Oregon Trail, Wild West and Mt. Hood this year and now I'm starting to worry about making Doowop. All I know is that my next several DNF's bloody well better be driver error and not mechanical failure...
    '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
    '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Working...
    X