Pommyvince's BF 323 KL ZE swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pommyvince's BF 323 KL ZE swap

I thought it was time that I started a thread and shared some of my hard earned ( bashed knuckles, late nights, headaches...you know the story !!!) info on squeezing the KL ZE into the BF 323 3-door.

The spec so far is KL ZE from an MS-8 with KL31 ECU, manual box from a 93 626, front struts, discs and calipers from a mid 80's GC model 626, custom rad, and various bits and pieces robbed from the MS-8 and the later 626.

I sat the motor in the bay on blocks of wood just to get the approx position and fabricated the mounts from there.....it took two attempts to get it in the right spot and I now have to lower the whole lot by 1/2" because of driveshaft issue.

Here's some pics of where I'm at now (waiting on driveshafts to be made) and of the fabricated engine mounts. Any questions just ask but replies may be a bit erratic as work is flat out and trying to get car done over the Xmas hols.
    Attached Files

finally! haha looking good man. definitely keep this updated. where are you getting your axles made?

'88 323 sedan, K-swapped..

'03.5 Mazdaspeed Protege - miss it so much..

'01 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins - 323 hauler

Comment

did you do any modification to the rear mount? cause DeeAone just slipped right in to spot

91 S10 - 2.8L
      85 S10 - V8 coming soon
      68 Chevelle - crate

Comment

can't wait to see this thing finished. gonna look and sound killer im sure
        1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
        Featured in Rally Gearbox Magazine 3/1/11
        "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

Comment

awesome dude, where a bouts in NZ are you?? you going to take it to the 4 and rotor nats??

awesome work man, I'm planing to do the same in my 3 door BF but not going all out with the 626 suspension and stuff maybe BG front struts and 5 stud astina hubs and brakes
          FE3 POWA
          1985 Mazda 323 BF5P - FE3 powered

Comment

More and more kl swaps going on....now more bf kl swaps. Looks good so far. Good luck. Sub'n
            1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
            1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
            2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
            2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
            .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

i was meaning to ask haha what did you do wiring wise?? how did you wire it up? if you could PM what wires u spliced into the BF dash loom would be awesome :D
              FE3 POWA
              1985 Mazda 323 BF5P - FE3 powered

Comment

Originally posted by Turpro View Post
                More and more kl swaps going on....now more bf kl swaps. Looks good so far. Good luck. Sub'n
                we're taking over..

Comment

Originally posted by DeeAOne View Post
                  we're taking over..
                  Ha ha yes we are lol

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                  1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                  2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

A real quick reply as I was up late last night trying to sort out right hand ( looking at front of car) driveshaft.......I'll post pics as soon as get chance. A local ( Christchurch NZ) engineering company is pricing up new axles and I'll know how much on Monday.

Wish I'd known that the turbo rear mount fitted !! Fabricated mine with a lot of cursing.
                    Engine not wired up yet but intend to use the BF loom and splice into it for charge, start , fuel pump and fans as my car started life as a humble 1.3 base model. Will post details when I get that far.

Pics of driveshafts in next couple of days.

Comment

cool..i want to get custom axles, but i just dont know if my bank account can handle it. lol

Comment

Driveshaft checking

I've made some dummy driveshafts by cutting the two different shafts and tacking them together. Lengths have come out as 352mm Left (looking from front of car) and 416mm for the Right. First pic shows suspension full up/full lock, second pic full down/full lock. The problem with this side is the very short driveshaft and sharp angles that it runs causing it to bind up in the full down position. I thought that I had this right when making engine mounts but turns out I need to be lower. With a bit of playing about I came up with min.distance between top of gearbox end cover and bottom of inner wing is 16mm. I have been testing without spring fitted in the strut. Level on the manifold shows a slight slope towards the trans side. I going to try spacing crossmember down 16mm and see if this cures the problem. Pics here are taken with motor lowered using engine hoist. I'll let you know how I get on !!!

In these pics you can see crush tubes that are welded through frame rail for the engine mount and fabricated brake line bracket on the strut.
                        Attached Files

Comment

nice work man. lots of v6s lately.. cool
                          91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

binds up as in it wont spin..? as in thats bad? lol

how did the angle change that much? did you not measure right? or is it just because the v6 makes the length to the axles shorter..? just trying to grasp this issue. lol

Comment

You got it You'll feel the shaft go tight as you try and turn it by hand and its crucial to joint and shaft life to get this right. At normal ride height it, with the weight of the car on the strut, it shouldn't be a problem. You've found the question to the problem....because the 626 trans is that much bigger....it makes the CV's much closer together.....if you could just move the engine about 60mm further over ...lol

This is why the swap is so much easier in a BG with the subframe and wider floor pan. I should have got the gearbox a bit closer to the crossmember but you are in danger of the engine touching it as it rocks under acceleration if you get too close......bit of a learning curve going on here !

The longer driveshaft on other side is not so much of an issue.

Anyone that can add info to this would be appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                              X