just got a 99 es

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just got a 99 es

hey everybody i just got a 99 es because i blew up the motor on my last car (RIP BMW 320i) and i knew that protege's are great for autoX. i was wondering what is the rev limiter set at on the 99 es with the 1.8L 122hp? im afraid to go and try it myself because some times there set wayyyy to far into the redline. anywho i love the mazda! i look forward to some great times in it!!!!!

Originally posted by BMW ///MPOWER
    hey everybody i just got a 99 es because i blew up the motor on my last car (RIP BMW 320i) and i knew that protege's are great for autoX. i was wondering what is the rev limiter set at on the 99 es with the 1.8L 122hp? im afraid to go and try it myself because some times there set wayyyy to far into the redline. anywho i love the mazda! i look forward to some great times in it!!!!!
    Ah, just try it. You won't blow anything up unless you misshift and get in the limiter the hard way. The Miata with the 1.8 is redlined at 7000 rpm with the limiter somewhere around 7300- the Protege should be about the same.
    Chris
    '91 Protege LX
    '99 Miata sport

Comment

the FP-DE redlines at 6500, I THINK fuel cutoff is at 6700...

'04 Titanium RX-8

Comment

aight thanks, i see you have a second gen rx7 also. those cars are alot of fun, that porsche 944 chassis is great in the corners!

Comment

aight thanks, i see you have a second gen rx7 also. those cars are alot of fun, that porsche 944 chassis is great in the corners!
          yes it is quite fun

eh, what do you mean by "that porsche 944 chassis is great in the corners", can you explain this please.

'04 Titanium RX-8

Comment

mazda bought the rights to build there second gen rx7 off of the 944 from porsche.

Comment

mazda bought the rights to build there second gen rx7 off of the 944 from porsche.
              that's news to me, can you find some evidence to back that up.

'04 Titanium RX-8

Comment

yeah cant say i ever heard that before, but it kinda looks like one, lol i know when i had my 86 i used mto think it looked like one from certain angles.
                .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
                225.94wtq
                torque monster!!!!
                dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
                http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
                http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

so i was intrigued by mr ///MPower's claim, so I went and asked our friends at RX7club:

2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992) - Are FC and Porsche 944 RELATED???? - I know they are very similar in style, but are they actually related structurally (e.g. Porsche sourced chassis/suspension design to Mazda, etc)???? somebody told me that they are, but I'd rather have you guys answer it than some n00b ;) :D

so yeah, unless ///MPower you can come up with some hard evidence to support your claim, I would have to call on that. Nothing personal, just want to set the facts straight.

'04 Titanium RX-8

Comment

well there you have it, NO lol
                    .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
                    225.94wtq
                    torque monster!!!!
                    dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
                    http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
                    http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

well i know this may be hard to prove and i dont care if you dont believe me. my grandpa used to own the only dealer that imported german cars in north dakota back in the day(now there are numerous) and him and I were having a conversation about the fc chassis and the 944. he said that mazda used posches chassis and basic layout of the interior. the suspension and drivetrain were all mazda. go drive your fc to the nearest porsche dealer and compair the two interiors, you'll see that its all basically the same design(porsche used better materials for the interior) even the center consol is the same!

Comment

you know i dont wanna get into some stupid online argument about this though, thats just stupid. sense none of of can produce some good evidence to argue our idea's(all the rx7 club said was "no") so lets just leave it undecided.

Comment

well I guess i'll talk to one of the 944 owners at the next autox and ask him to open the hood so i can attempt to find where mazda USED porsche's chassis design

they MAY be similar, but I highly doubt there were any official documented technology transfer between the 2 companies between these 2 cars.

'04 Titanium RX-8

Comment

with all this snow im forever bouncin off the damn limiter.
                            According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

maybe you should stay away from the limiter, being as you couldn't drive your crappy bmw and keep the motor from bumming out.
                              photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Working...
                              X