How stout is the B6 bottom end?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How stout is the B6 bottom end?

I'm wondering because it's been overheated a couple of times, and run really hot a handfull of times also......And this is since I've owned it which hasn't been too long, the previous owner probably overheated also and stuck it to me.

The headgasket has developed a leak and is letting exhaust into the coolant. I would like to change the gasket and have the head rebuilt, but if the bottom end got cooked is it even worth it?

Bottom ends don't warp that much it would be your head... if your head is warped more than .005" then I would consider it toast, since this puts your cam bearings out of line.
    Bottom ends mostly let the gasket make an imprint in the face and depends how cooked one cooked it you'll coke up the oil passages.

The longer you drive it like that the more damage it's doing and making...

JoN - Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Journeyman
    Member of MX-3.com
    1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica
    1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE - Raspberry... RIP

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Comment

Yeah I'm done driving it now until I fix it. I've just heard stories about rod bearings being cooked, I guess I'll know once the head is off, if it's warped pretty good I guess it's safe to assume the bottom end got cooked pretty good too.

Comment

if you can, just replace it with a BP
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Nah, I really don't have the means to do that right now, and I plan on giving this car to my nephew for college.

Besides, I have a BP Kia to have fun in for now and plan on swapping everything into a 323 later down the road when I have the time/place/hoist to do it.

[edit] I meant to put this thread in the BG forum actually

Comment

It depends on your oil. Have you been using high quality synthetic like a good little boy? In this case Santa will give you a good bottom end for Christmas (or Boxing Day, as the case may be!). On the other hand, if you've been getting the cheap dino oil, then all you get is a lump of coal! Or, a lump of a bottom end!

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Martin View Post
              It depends on your oil. Have you been using high quality synthetic like a good little boy? In this case Santa will give you a good bottom end for Christmas (or Boxing Day, as the case may be!). On the other hand, if you've been getting the cheap dino oil, then all you get is a lump of coal! Or, a lump of a bottom end!

Bob
              Nope, no synthetic. Oh well I guess I'll take my chances and just replace the head gasket. Is there any way to tell if there's been damage once the head is off? Will the top of the pistons look funny if they've been cooked?

Comment

Hhhhmmmmm. Lump of coal time. Do you have a GT or a GTX? If a GT, go ahead and pull the oil pan off and replace the rod bearings. You have to pull the engine in a GTX to pull the oil pan so you probably want to take the risk. The biggest danger is that you cooked the oil and now have sludge and your oil isn't going to flow correctly. That's why you should always use synthetic: it can take the heat that dino cannot!

Good luck,

Bob

Comment

It's just a base 323. I changed the oil after running some Seafoam through the crankcase and it came out alright. I plan on repeating the process just to make sure any sludge is out of it, guess I'll know for sure once I take the head off if there's any sludge. Not too worried about sludge in the head if I'm going to rebuild or replace it.

And for the record, it overheated right after I bought it on the drive from Miami to Tampa, about four or five times, I pulled over each time to let it cool off and it never boiled over.

I'll run synthetic in it once I get the head gasket on and everything sorted out......The car only has 60k miles on it, so I'm hoping the bottom end held up ok to the stress......If I take off the oil pan will I be able to tell if the bearings are shot by looking at them?

Comment

If it never boiled over and the seafoam came out clean, odds are the bottom end is fine. If you take the oil pan off, remove one cap from a rod (preferably #4) and look at the bottom bearing. If it is clean, one color, fairly smooth, put it back on, torque it down and put the oil pan back on. Any less, replace at least the rod bearings. With only 60,000 miles, I wouldn't even do that unless you have a knock when you get it running again.

Good luck,

Bob

Comment

Working...
                    X