Got my First Mazda!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my First Mazda!

Got an 88 323 hatch. Dont know what i wanna do with it as of now. Thought about a B6T but they seem to be hard to come by. The I saw a few build involving the first gen hatches with KLDE & KLZE swaps and im leaning that way.

I want this car to be able to surprise the crap out of all the losers here in town with there moms hondas. Last car i fixed up was a sleeper and I want to go that route with this. Gotta love when people laugh at you when you rev up next to them and then when they catch up to you at the next light and they got that "what the f@*k just happened" look.

So bassically here are some pics of my car, it was two hundred bucks and we only bought it cause it ran well and it was cheaper than a rental. (Were dealing with insurance over a stolen car and have to pay for our own rental till they sort it out.) So don't complain about its condition. Nice thing about it is once we get our car replaced I have this extra, which means i can take my time on this.

Right now im looking for suggestions on engine swaps and were to get the motor for one. Ebay seems like the have a few. I dont know about JDM motors from ebay so any advice on that would be cool.

Other then that is there anything i need to really look at on this car as in common problems. I just drove it, pulled gears from first to fourth and used the brakes. Everything went ok so i bought it.

This is my first mazda and for 85HP its a blast. No power steering and just feels like a gokart. I want it to be faster an would love to get into times trials or rallyx one day but don't know whats all involved with that.

I have been browsing this forum for a few days and i like what i see so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC0077.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	1262920

Name:	GEDC0078.jpg
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	1262921

Name:	GEDC0081.jpg
Size:	190.2 KB
ID:	1262922

Name:	GEDC0076.jpg
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	1262923

Name:	GEDC0082.jpg
Size:	268.9 KB
ID:	1262924
    ah, it's wonderful driving a car that goes slow.. makes it easier to aim for the old people crossing the street

nice score! def needs some seats! lol
    -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
    http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
    http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Congrats on your new car. My first car was a 94 323 base model, still have it and keep tinkering with it to this day

So you want to go faster eh? Well the good news for you is there are a few bolt-on options. You can swap your B6 engine for a B6T, adding a (stock) turbo and an extra fiftyish ponies. You can source the engine from a 323GTX, but you'll probably want to find a G-series transmission to go along with that to handle the power (323GT from Canada, Mercury Capri XR2). I don't remember anymore, but I think you can also bolt a G-series tranny meant for a BP (1.8L variant of the B6) onto a B6 engine. Somebody else will be able to fill in details about that. While you're at it, get a hold of Rocketman on the forums and get a chipped ECU and a manual boost controller + a boost gauge and enjoy about 180HP. Speaking of the BP, you can swap that into the BF chassis with a little game of musical motor mounts or even source a BPT (1.8L turbo, ~180hp stock) for some more power.

Check your strut towers, they might be rusted up top. Check your wheel arches, they like to go, and the gussets under the car. Check for any leaking fluids (brake booster/master cylinder), frayed hoses, leaking oil, DISTRIBUTER!!! The B6 uses a mechanical distributer that is known to fail. If it hasn't been rebuilt in a while, or are unsure, go buy new springs for it and rebuild it. Here's a site to help with that: http://www.kgm.tiwing.com/88maz323gt...st/b6tdist.htm

Also, if you're thinking about a B6T swap, know about the short-nosed crank issue: http://www.miata.net/garage/crankshaft.html

That should give you some ideas to start.

P.S. Welcome to the club

1993 Mazda Familia GTR - work log

Comment

Thanks for your ideas i was thinking along the same lines with the B6T... Also does anyone have there stock corner lenses i can pay shipping on them. I know alot of people went to clear corners and i can't find one int the junkyard at all. I dont want the ticket... Pm me if you got some.
        ah, it's wonderful driving a car that goes slow.. makes it easier to aim for the old people crossing the street

Comment

There is a Mazda Miata at the local JY and it has a B6T thats basically all there motor wise. Its rear wheel drive, will a FWD trans bolt up to that same motor.. I would say yes but i want to make sure before i spend 500 on an engine.

Comment

I think you'll be fine, might need different manifolds though to turn the engine east-west, the flywheels/clutches are the same so you shouldn't have transmission problems.

1993 Mazda Familia GTR - work log

Comment

The motor will bolt right up, no problems. You will need a GT/GTX intake manifold (I have one for $20 if you need it) and a GT/GTX downpipe which can be custom made at any exhaust shop. Be sure to grab the ECU, but you might need to find a GT/GTX one as well (which I also have). I have a motor, too, but buying one locally is much preferred to avoid shipping.

Good luck,

Bob

Comment

crank on the one at the
                jy was seized damnit

Comment

Congrats for having your first car..

Please post new pics of your car when done furnishings..

Cheers!..
                  car rental singapore

Comment

nice first ride, I'm gonna post a bunch of parts from my totalled Gt, if you are still looking for a swap for it I have a complete B6T w/fwd trans and complete engine harness + goodies

Comment

Working...
                    X