ALS on MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ALS on MS

Got this crazy idea in my head while @ work today. Using MS, can you make an ALS (anti-lag) setup? Consider running via stock gtx setup theoretically...
    1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
    Featured in Rally Gearbox Magazine 3/1/11
    "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

I've done a little diggin but anyone who asks about it on most forums gets super flamed. It's not the best for you turbo and it would be pointless on a VJ-20. There was an old MS version out there that had a crapy anti-lag but it's old and for real als you really need to get air right into the exhaust mani.

Like this...

Pic is way to big...

That+a bunch of fuel+a crap load of time retard=boom in that manifold.

The best ALS systems can keep maybe 5 psi between gears, but that for WRC teams that have a restriction to breath thought and can afford a new turbo every race.

94 Protege LX: HX-35, Megasquit, ect...
    98 Subaru Legacy GT-DD: 1 inch lift, and all the standard N/A stuff.

Comment

Ya well attempt to flame away lol. It serves the purpose if done correctly in motorsports (rally) application which is where my research is going. No doubt it's bad for the turbo. The goal would have some extra turbo's lying around to swap out for when they do go boom.

Curious why it would be pointless for the vj-20..? I'm lookin at the subaru turbo swaps more for a serious application.
      1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
      "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

Comment

If you want a flame just hook you the flat shift mod. Anti-lag is for turbo's that lag... I like with a restoration or big turbo. The VJ-20 has just about 0 lag between gears. Something the T4 that I'm running doesn't even have that much when you shift.

Comment

when it comes down to the turbo itself, i'll be looking into what combo eventually, but right now it's only research really... And.. i'm not looking for a 'flame' lol... i can just throw a spark plug back there. Depending on a setup, and the size of the turbo... ALS could be beneficial.

note: this was only a crazy idea that popped up completely randomly today. Who knows if it would be an honest pursuit

Comment

so... can someone explain this 'flatshift mod' thing? it is a megasqurit thing too right? from some reading and youtube vids, you can apparently keep the accelerater down while shifter (with clutch still?) and the cpu holds the revs at where you have it set, and continue going... you just don't drops revs while shifting...?

is this only while the accellerator is pressed, so you can still downshift like normal?

Comment

Flat foot shifting is a way of cutting spark to the engine during gear shifts. Your foot is on the gas 100%, even during shifts. You still push in the clutch and shift normally. The purpose of this mod is not to lose time by coming off/on the gas during shifts.

1993 Mazda Familia GTR - work log

Comment

Yup time or boost. I have mine set up on a clutch switch. Push the clutch down, cut spark, shift, clutch out rev limit goes back up.

Comment

VJ20 doesn't need antilag. VJ23 could use it, as could even a gt28r. But vj20 and the like aren't moving enough air to see any gains, and thus aren't losing enough flow to justify it.
                  '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
                  '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
                  http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
                  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Working...
                  X