Regular, Plus, or Supreme Gas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regular, Plus, or Supreme Gas?

I was just wondering if anyone has tried to upgrade there type of gas from the 87 to either the 89 or 93? Would this affect the performance on a 1999 Mazda Protege LX in any way?

Thanks
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/mazda99protege

No, it won't help. Your car is designed to run on 87 octane, leave it that way. Otherwise you'll be wasting your money. In short, is has to do with detonation. Unless you are running forced induction? then higher octane is needed.
    'I did nothing... I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be!?'
    -Dean
    2003.5 Vivid Yellow Protege5

Mods:
    18" G-Racing Kirins - hyper black
    Eibach Pro-Line lowering springs
    MazdaSpeed Axelback Exhaust
    Injen CAI - Polished
    Tinted windows. Llumar 35front 2&hatch glass/25middle roll down glass/18backside4
    DaveB trim rings
    Painted Calipers - G2

Stereo:
    Alpine CVA-1005 - 6.5" LCD Reciever.
    Alpine DVA-5210 - DVD/WMA/CD/MP3 Player
    Alpine ERA-G320 - EQ/Surround processor.
    Kicker IX-405D 5 Channel Amp
    Kicker 12" L5's in bandpass enclosure (2 of them)
    Kicker K-57.2 Components up front
    Kicker K-65 in back.

Future Mods?

Turbo?

Comment

Originally posted by DeanSweet
      No, it won't help. Your car is designed to run on 87 octane, leave it that way. Otherwise you'll be wasting your money. In short, is has to do with detonation. Unless you are running forced induction? then higher octane is needed.

Thanks for the info. I noticed that you have the G2 Painted Caliphers. Does these calipher have to be removed in order to paint them?

Thanks
      http://www.cardomain.com/id/mazda99protege

Comment

Originally posted by mazdaprotege99
        Thanks for the info. I noticed that you have the G2 Painted Caliphers. Does these calipher have to be removed in order to paint them?

Thanks
        Get this stuff. Its a 2 part laquer that you brush on. You don't have to take off the caliper, just turn the wheels. It even comes with a brush and the paint has a high gloss finish that the brake dust wont stick to when washed. I highly recomend this
        " Autobots are an error I intend to correct"

Reformated Alternate Mode:
        Midnite Blue P5 ( 5-speed manual)
        Painted calipers
        Injen CAI
        Custom exhaust
        Tein lowering springs(finally installed)

Comment

Or you can spend 6 bucks for a can of engine/heat paint, take off your wheel, tape off the calipers and spray away. It's really easy to do.
          2002 Blackmica P5
          CAI - MSP springs - Brembo cross-drilled rotors & KVR pads - Ground wires - Ignition wires - Silverstars - Eurolites - Pilot fogs - Toyo TPTs - Tint - Blue calipers & strut bar - Batsymbol in rear window

Comment

Yes, or you can do that^^. The price comparison is quite different just like the application differs. Its about $30 for the laquer kit oppose to the $6 spray can. I recomended the kit because I found that I didn't like the dull finish the spray had. I guess they have hi temp clear too but, the kit makes the calipers chemical proof and all that yadda yadda. I did have spray painted calipers on another car an I found the "wheel brite" at the car washes does a good job of taking the dust off your wheels, and at the same time, the paint on the calipers over time. Anyway you do it though its better than surface rust coated calipers.
            Last edited by RipperSnapper; 01-26-2004, 05:52 AM.
            " Autobots are an error I intend to correct"

Reformated Alternate Mode:
            Midnite Blue P5 ( 5-speed manual)
            Painted calipers
            Injen CAI
            Custom exhaust
            Tein lowering springs(finally installed)

Comment

Sorry for the slow response.
              G2 paint kit comes with aerosol can of Cleaner(be careful it eats paint), jars of colored resin and hardener, brush, stick to stir, and some paperwork on 'tips'. I bought a couple extra artist brushes form local craft store because the brush that comes with the kit is a little coarse for edging. It takes a couple hours. Take a wire brush or dremel and grind off all the grunge, put the car up on jacks. Remove all 4 wheels. The paint starts to harden in the jar before 2 hours are up but it really get's too thick around 4? Don't have to remove calipers from the car. I have seen the high temp spray jobs and they never looks as good as mine still do. The G2 paint just shines like gloss and cleans up with normal pressure washing. Just take your time. The G2 was kind of pricey but I think well worth it.
              'I did nothing... I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be!?'
              -Dean
              2003.5 Vivid Yellow Protege5

Mods:
              18" G-Racing Kirins - hyper black
              Eibach Pro-Line lowering springs
              MazdaSpeed Axelback Exhaust
              Injen CAI - Polished
              Tinted windows. Llumar 35front 2&hatch glass/25middle roll down glass/18backside4
              DaveB trim rings
              Painted Calipers - G2

Stereo:
              Alpine CVA-1005 - 6.5" LCD Reciever.
              Alpine DVA-5210 - DVD/WMA/CD/MP3 Player
              Alpine ERA-G320 - EQ/Surround processor.
              Kicker IX-405D 5 Channel Amp
              Kicker 12" L5's in bandpass enclosure (2 of them)
              Kicker K-57.2 Components up front
              Kicker K-65 in back.

Future Mods?

Turbo?

Comment

Yeah, like DeanSweet and RipperSnaper say, the kits work really well and look really good. For me, it was simply easier and cheaper to just spray the calipers. I'm hoping to get a brake kit in the next few years anyways so if the spray lasts until then, I'm happy. It was only about 12 dollars total (one can of brake cleaner, one can of paint) and it looks good enough so I'm happy. Good luck with your choice whichever one you choose.
                2002 Blackmica P5
                CAI - MSP springs - Brembo cross-drilled rotors & KVR pads - Ground wires - Ignition wires - Silverstars - Eurolites - Pilot fogs - Toyo TPTs - Tint - Blue calipers & strut bar - Batsymbol in rear window

Comment

your cheep car was meant to run on cheep gas....

Comment

UH so does it really matter if i've been puttin' 89 in the proty???? I used to put 93 in my mazda 929!!! give me some help here!!!!!!!!!
                    "mess with the mazda...... mess with the chick......."mazdachic"

I don't go looking for no trouble but somehow the trouble always finds me, Don't make me have you in the trauma center With your momma crying cause her only son is dying, She just don't know it's just your karma catching up cause I'm a Drama Setter

Comment

Like they said, if you use the higher octane fuel over time it might not always detonate completely therefore leaving gunk in the engine. If this gunk builds up it can cause pinging which isnt good for the engine at all. If you are using a turbo you should use high octane gas because the lower octane has more chance of pre detonation which is dangerous.

Ahhh also, isnt 89 the recommended octane for the protege anyway? In Aus its 91 octane but we have slightly stricter fuel laws so thats like the lowest octane your supposed to be able to get anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by Vultz
                        Like they said, if you use the higher octane fuel over time it might not always detonate completely therefore leaving gunk in the engine. If this gunk builds up it can cause pinging which isnt good for the engine at all. If you are using a turbo you should use high octane gas because the lower octane has more chance of pre detonation which is dangerous.

Ahhh also, isnt 89 the recommended octane for the protege anyway? In Aus its 91 octane but we have slightly stricter fuel laws so thats like the lowest octane your supposed to be able to get anyway...
                        Yeap i believe that's the recommended!!!! My 929 I put 93 since it was a v-6, but like that mattered!!!!!! At least I'll be savin' a lil not usin such high octane!! Freakin gas is high as hizelle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        "mess with the mazda...... mess with the chick......."mazdachic"

I don't go looking for no trouble but somehow the trouble always finds me, Don't make me have you in the trauma center With your momma crying cause her only son is dying, She just don't know it's just your karma catching up cause I'm a Drama Setter

Comment

I used to be in the higher octane = better camp. I found then that the car seems to get the best gas mileage on 89 octane (US) so that is what I run it it now. Best I figure if I am getting better mileage from it, that means it is burning more efficiently and completely.
                          --JJB--
                          '02 Silver Protegé5 - 5sp - no performance mods, no plans for them
                          Kenwood Z919 -- Polk Audio speakers
                          16" alloys w/ 205/50 Bridgestone RE750 (summer)
                          15" steels w/ 195/55 Bridgestone Blizzak LM22 (winter)

Moon roof - wind deflector - variable intermittent wipers - electrochromic mirror w/ temp & compass
                          Winter/beater car: 1997 Mercury Mountaineer with 182k on it

Comment

yeah because mazda calibrated your cheep ass car to run on the cheep ass gas!

Comment

oh god??

i've been putting pure alcohol into my engine!!!
                              no wonder it cost me $4000 a week to drive around.. i thought i was driving a Ferrari F1.. damn me!

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
                              RB springs
                              Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
                              MP3 front bumper conversion

Comment

Working...
                              X