Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ataching a power wire to the battery...

Hey... two questions here.

Which port (+ or -) should I attach the power wire from that will go to my amp?

Secondly, everyone's been saying I should poke a hole into the "grommet" above my clutch so that I can get the wire into the engine compartment.

Can someone please post a picture of this grommet, I really wanna be sure of what I'm doing here...

Thanks

IC

the grommet is just a lil rubber seal usually round or oval about an inch wide 3 inches tall if its the oval sized.... you can see it on the interior side and also on the engine side of the firewall....

Comment

Power wire goes from the positive post to the amp, then from the amp it grounds into the chassis somewhere.

Comment

Icouldnt get a good pic of the one onthe insde but it looks the same as it does on the engine side...

the med. sized wire is the amp wire, the small one is just a diff wire that I have and hte large wire loom is the wiring harness....
        Attached Files

Comment

I think I'm a little confused by that picture, but thanks for trying man...

An interior shot would probably be best if anyone has one (or has a digicam and wants to go take a shot for me... ps .. use the flash )

IC

Comment

As soon as my kid goes down for his nap I can get out and take some pictures.

Comment

Super, thanks... you want me to sing yer kid a lulabye?

IC

Comment

OK, here are the pictures as best I could do. The red wire is the power for the amp coming off the battery.

Comment

This is the grommet from the outside... it's a difficult angle. The rubber part circled is the actual grommet.

Comment

This is the grommet from the inside. It's almost impossible to get at with the camera because there's a trim piece over it, but I think you get the idea.

EDIT: This is located under the steering wheel just to the left of the clutch assembly.
                    Last edited by jnorion; 01-24-2004, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Nice pics every one. I need a digital camera so that I can help out a member. I need to update my webpage at SoundDomain as well.
                      2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
                      KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
                      Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
                      Groundkit

Comment

Thanks for the pictures guys... I'll go look again and see if I can find it

Anyways, you guys are saying to actually poke a hole in the grommet and try and find the screwdrive in the engine compartment? I hope I do it right

Sounds interesting enough... just to confirm... hook the battery wire up to the positive terminal, right?

Thanks again for all your help!

IC

Comment

Originally posted by IdentityCrisis
                          Thanks for the pictures guys... I'll go look again and see if I can find it

Anyways, you guys are saying to actually poke a hole in the grommet and try and find the screwdrive in the engine compartment? I hope I do it right

Sounds interesting enough... just to confirm... hook the battery wire up to the positive terminal, right?

Thanks again for all your help!

IC
                          I think you have got it! Most folks like the grommet that is described because it is large, pretty easy to find, and is a path of least resistance.
                          Is your car a manual or auto?
                          In the manual it is where the clutch line comes through the firewall. In the auto, it is not used at all, because, well, there is not clutch.
                          Becuase it is a nice hunk of rubber, it can be removed, drilled and reinstalled, or carefully drilled in place. You can get a sleeve ring at a hardware store- it will then plug in your newly drilled hole, around the power wire to provide a tight fit. If need be a tube of silicon seal will work to seal it up, but do that as the last step in the process, you would hate to need to feed the wire forward or backward a few inches only to find it can't becuase you have sealed the wire into the firewall!
                          Good Luck, and let us all know how it goes.
                          We should see about getting some of the better photos into stickys also, that would give a great reference spot for others to go "see" what the rest of us are talking about-
                          Blue???
                          David A. Cameron
                          "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men
                          stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Ex Protege Owner- and I still love em!
                          2004 Cooperworks Mini
                          2003 Acura TSX

And I swear not another car until my daughter gets a drivers license!!

De Oppresso Liber
                          Sine Pari

Comment

i can take some pics of the grommet in an AT car... i got it done by a local guy.. really good job.
                            i'll try 'n find my digicam when i get home, tonight.

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
                            RB springs
                            Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
                            MP3 front bumper conversion

Comment

Cool... if you can take those pics, that would be great.

Dacinokc, thanks for the reply... That sounds a little more professional than I was looking for. In my last car, a buddy and I just poked a hole through the firewall and fed the wire through... we didn't seal it or anything... I never noticed a draft

IC

Comment

Working...
                              X